Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Baby "too big" to have a vaginal birth?

Posted by   + Show Post
A friend at work has a sister who is due on the 26th but he dr said that if she didn't have the baby by the 25th they were gonna induce her!! She's not even going to be at her dd!!! Her Dr said that since the baby is already 7lbs (via ultrasound) that the mother won't be able to give birth vaginally!!!

Why would a mothers body make a baby that's too big to have vaginally?

How can I give info to the mother without being rude?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 5:10 PM
Replies (61-70):
SaraSnider
by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 5:33 PM
Im not just telling it how it is. U are not right here sorry to not fall for ur bs when i was there lol!

Quoting lundaylove:

is there a reason you are so hostile.......

Quoting SaraSnider:

Right well the point is u were not up inside her and dont know all the details so dont sit there and act like u do. C-section was NEEDED in my sisters case!

Quoting lundaylove:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lundaylove
by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 5:41 PM

im sorry you feel that way. i really hope you stick around this group long enough to learn about TRUE natural birth process and reasons behind needed csections because from our conversations here it seems you have much to learn.

Quoting SaraSnider:

Im not just telling it how it is. U are not right here sorry to not fall for ur bs when i was there lol!

Quoting lundaylove:

Quoting SaraSnider:

Right well the point is u were not up inside her and dont know all the details so dont sit there and act like u do. C-section was NEEDED in my sisters case!

Quoting lundaylove:

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Apr. 15, 2012 at 5:47 PM

ok 24 hours yes I can see that being an issue..2 hours and 24 hours is a HUGE difference and yes stuck in my ribcage..I have a very short torso due to scoliosis and his lower leg front to back was stuck under/in my ribcage, I had rib pain for 2 days before labor started and when he was bborn he hadbruises on the top of his knee and bottom of his foot.  He even had issues learning to crawl because of favoring that leg.  It happens, just as babies too big to deliver happens, BUT majority of the time its more doctors ignorance, if the 2 hours had been true that would be more ignorance than anything..24 hours ok I can see the problem

Quoting SaraSnider:

Ahahaha it was a typeo she was in labor atleast 24hours and stuck in ur ribs WTH lmao

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Two hours!? Hahahahahaha

Ok my son didnt drop after 17 but ended up he was stuck in my ribcage! Doctor put some pressure and out my guy came.

Two hours is not long enough to know anything.

Quoting SaraSnider:

So my sister should of continued labor when her baby wouldnt drop after 2 hours of labor? Her baby wasnt going to come on its own because she was to big. Ur not a doctor sorry. And i was induced and gave birth just fine, as did my cousin and my friend. So i know my sister made the right choice. She would of ended up losing her dd due to infection from being in labor so long. Idc if u think u know it all u dont.

Quoting lundaylove:

Im sorry but it sounds like you dont know much about natural birth yourself. Inductions in a first time mother increase the risk of a csection by up to 70%. And a good 90% of those are diagnosed as CPD- basically baby is too big to come out- HOWEVER a very large portion of mothers who have had primary csections due to CPD have gone on to VBAC their following children- and many are 1-2 bigger than the baby that was "too big" to be born vaginally.

Csections SHOULD be refused. There are very few reasons they are actually needed and "baby too big" isnt one of them in the majority of cases. 

Quoting SaraSnider:

No her dd was to big. with out the c-section she was not going to pass. My sister had a great doctor. U can not sit there and say crap u know Nothing about the situation. What are u trying to do make women on here refuse a csection? Hmm sounds like u can cause more problems then good.

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Sounds like baby was not ready...sounds like failed induction not baby size problem to me. If she had been allowed to go on her own theres a good chance she would ve been able to have him fine!

Quoting SaraSnider:

My sister 4'11 108lb prepregnancy, was 41weeksplus 1day and was induced her dd was 9lb 2oz and would not drop due to her size so yes it can and does happen.

SaraSnider
by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 5:49 PM
I dont care how much stuff u know u cant say it for all women sorry lol.. i will probably leave this group soon i dont like some of u already with ur want to know it all additudes. My doula will be more help with her 20+ years.plus i already had one baby i just wanted to join a group for it since i was pregnant again.

Quoting lundaylove:

im sorry you feel that way. i really hope you stick around this group long enough to learn about TRUE natural birth process and reasons behind needed csections because from our conversations here it seems you have much to learn.

Quoting SaraSnider:

Quoting lundaylove:

Quoting SaraSnider:

Quoting lundaylove:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Apr. 15, 2012 at 5:49 PM

agreed

Quoting lundaylove:

Quoting SaraSnider:

Quoting lundaylove:

Quoting SaraSnider:

Quoting lundaylove:

SaraSnider
by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 5:51 PM
Sorry for the confusion my stupid touch screen phone likes to mess up on me.

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

ok 24 hours yes I can see that being an issue..2 hours and 24 hours is a HUGE difference and yes stuck in my ribcage..I have a very short torso due to scoliosis and his lower leg front to back was stuck under/in my ribcage, I had rib pain for 2 days before labor started and when he was bborn he hadbruises on the top of his knee and bottom of his foot.  He even had issues learning to crawl because of favoring that leg.  It happens, just as babies too big to deliver happens, BUT majority of the time its more doctors ignorance, if the 2 hours had been true that would be more ignorance than anything..24 hours ok I can see the problem

Quoting SaraSnider:

Ahahaha it was a typeo she was in labor atleast 24hours and stuck in ur ribs WTH lmao

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Two hours!? Hahahahahaha

Ok my son didnt drop after 17 but ended up he was stuck in my ribcage! Doctor put some pressure and out my guy came.

Two hours is not long enough to know anything.

Quoting SaraSnider:

So my sister should of continued labor when her baby wouldnt drop after 2 hours of labor? Her baby wasnt going to come on its own because she was to big. Ur not a doctor sorry. And i was induced and gave birth just fine, as did my cousin and my friend. So i know my sister made the right choice. She would of ended up losing her dd due to infection from being in labor so long. Idc if u think u know it all u dont.

Quoting lundaylove:

Im sorry but it sounds like you dont know much about natural birth yourself. Inductions in a first time mother increase the risk of a csection by up to 70%. And a good 90% of those are diagnosed as CPD- basically baby is too big to come out- HOWEVER a very large portion of mothers who have had primary csections due to CPD have gone on to VBAC their following children- and many are 1-2 bigger than the baby that was "too big" to be born vaginally.

Csections SHOULD be refused. There are very few reasons they are actually needed and "baby too big" isnt one of them in the majority of cases. 

Quoting SaraSnider:

No her dd was to big. with out the c-section she was not going to pass. My sister had a great doctor. U can not sit there and say crap u know Nothing about the situation. What are u trying to do make women on here refuse a csection? Hmm sounds like u can cause more problems then good.

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Sounds like baby was not ready...sounds like failed induction not baby size problem to me. If she had been allowed to go on her own theres a good chance she would ve been able to have him fine!

Quoting SaraSnider:

My sister 4'11 108lb prepregnancy, was 41weeksplus 1day and was induced her dd was 9lb 2oz and would not drop due to her size so yes it can and does happen.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Apr. 15, 2012 at 5:52 PM

They told my SIL that my nephew was too big to come out vaginally because after 6 hours of induction at 2 weeks overdue she only was at 5cm..started at 0 so I think 5cm was great.  They had her terrified and she had a csection.  Turns out he was SO far down in the birth canal they had issues getting him OUT, by the time they did the csection she was at 8cm and he was  RIGHT THERE ready to come out.  Sure he was 9lbs 13oz but the doctor who ordered the csection and the one who performed it were different and he kept asking her why she was having the csection and told her your son was RIGHT THERE ready to go.  Next time have a VBAC

catholicmamamia
by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 10:34 PM

Quoting Aslen: you can tell she hired the doctor to work for HER, so technically SHE is the boss. SHE calls the shots.

♥♥ Join us in  
Crunchy Moms  for sharing advice on breastfeeding, babywearing, 
        bedsharing, non-cio. gentle discipline, and natural foods, health, and cleaners! ♥

DMWmomma
by Member on Apr. 15, 2012 at 10:59 PM
I have been in the group for a while now and I will have to disagree with you. I don't think anyone in this group has a "know it all attitude" all these women have had all kinds of different experiences and have done the research.
Maybe your sister needed a c-section maybe she didn't, no matter what there is no reason for you to be rude..

Quoting SaraSnider:

I dont care how much stuff u know u cant say it for all women sorry lol.. i will probably leave this group soon i dont like some of u already with ur want to know it all additudes. My doula will be more help with her 20+ years.plus i already had one baby i just wanted to join a group for it since i was pregnant again.

Quoting lundaylove:

Quoting SaraSnider:

Quoting lundaylove:

Quoting SaraSnider:

Quoting lundaylove:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nicki.hemingway
by Bronze Member on Apr. 15, 2012 at 11:35 PM

I was told my ds was over 8lbs and he came out a petite 5lbs 9 oz.  U/s can be way off this late in the game.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)