Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

on the road to being natural

Posted by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 10:00 PM
  • 8 Replies
So ive made the decision to use cloth diapers when the baby gets here, I'm a first time mommy so I figured that would be a good place to start any tips or advice on other organic things I can do? Oh I'm all planning to breast feed and have as natural a birth as possible :-)
CafeMom Tickers
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 10:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
VintageWife
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 10:04 PM

Sounds like you're off to a good start. I wish I had known of more natural things when I first started having kids. Natural things? The ones I do are clothdiapering, mama cloth (cloth pads and i wash them with the diapers so no extra laundry...yay!), babywear, breastfeed, co-sleep and also do things like extended breastfeeding and extended rear-facing of the carseat. There are other things, but those are the main ones coming to mind. Oh yeah, and you can either make your own shampoo using baking soda or buy ones that don't have extra chemicals in them.

VintageWife
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 10:04 PM

BTW, welcome to the group!!!!!!

jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Apr. 14, 2012 at 10:07 PM
Awesome!! And congrats!!

Speaking somewhat from my own personal mistakes and regrets, I also suggest you learn about co sleeping, non-circ'ing, and baby wearing. And PLEASE consider doing lots of research on vaccinations as well (and the eye ointment, vit k, and hep b routinely given at birth). Please consider delaying all vaccines until you are confident in your decision about them.

This can all be overwhelming, I suggest taking one subject at a time and looking into them and finding what makes you comfortable within that given topic.

Good luck!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JazzysWifey
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 10:09 PM

congrats! baby wearing and co-sleeping saved my sanity ;)

schultzal
by Bronze Member on Apr. 14, 2012 at 10:10 PM

Congrats! I am in the same situation. I'm a few weeks behind you in pregnancy, and have already bought nearly enough cloth diapers. I got 3 packs of cheap baby wash cloths from kmart to use as wipes. I intend to breast feed, as well. I plan to make baby food, I only drink freshly made juice (love having a juicer), and we eat as much "whole" food as possible.

I have mama cloth for post partum bleeding, and intend to use that and possibly a Lunnette cup after AF returns. 

I also only use vinegar, baking soda, tea tree oil, and peppermint oil for cleaning, and soap nuts of all for our washing. I use a steam mop/handheld steamer combo for sanitising in the kitchen and bathroom. I love the steam mop SO much. Things get super clean without the use of any chemicals whatsoever. We use unpaper towels (just some flannel squares that I made) for wiping up messes and cleaning.

I second using natural shampoos and such. I use shampoos from Lush, pure goat's milk soap for washing my face and body, and jojoba oil for moisturising. If my hair is realy dry, I love to use coconut oil to treat it. Coconut oil also makes a great moisturiser and I've been told is great on baby's bottom and is cloth diaper safe.

Sorry for the long reply, but I hope it helps a little bit. :)

lynndinski
by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 8:49 AM
Thank you all ladies, sorry I never replied last night, I fell asleep, heehee. :-)
catholicmamamia
by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 10:58 PM

Welcome to our group.. :o) 

♥♥ Join us in  
Crunchy Moms  for sharing advice on breastfeeding, babywearing, 
        bedsharing, non-cio. gentle discipline, and natural foods, health, and cleaners! ♥

catholicmamamia
by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 11:00 PM

A great place to begin is reading some books on Natural Birthing and Attachment Parenting, and look into the many uses of baking soda, vinegar, and coconut oil.

♥♥ Join us in  
Crunchy Moms  for sharing advice on breastfeeding, babywearing, 
        bedsharing, non-cio. gentle discipline, and natural foods, health, and cleaners! ♥

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)