Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Considering cloth diapers

Posted by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 10:48 PM
  • 10 Replies
1 mom liked this
I came across a cloth diaper boutique today and kind of fell in love! (we have not used cloth with my 19 mo son) Not only are they super cute there are so many different kinds to fit different tastes or lifestyles. I also found out that disposable diapers contain some very frightening chemicals. I didn't buy any yet since we are currently on vacay and i dont want to have to haul all that 1000 miles in a car. So my questions are before we start what supplies do we need besides the diapers and cloth wipes? What kind do you use/is your favorite? Is diaper rash more of an issue? What about washing them(special soap or process and the poop)? Ok i think thats all the questions i had but any other insights on cloth diapering is welcome!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 10:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
VintageWife
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 10:57 PM

I'm new to clothdiapering, but here are my answers.

You need a diaperpail for the dirties. I found a 5.2 gallon trashcan with a lid at Walmart and lined it with the cloth bag and it goes into the wash with them.

I have FuzziBunz, Flips and Thirsties. My advice is that you have come too late to the game for Thirsties most likely. I started CD'ing at around 19 mo too and the Thirsties I have are velcro and she'd just take them off. FuzziBunz are great during the day for us, but during the night they cause her girly parts a lot of irritation. If I had to choose one of the other out of the ones I have, I'd go with the Flips.

Diaper rash is LESS of an issue, especially if you use prefolds at night instead of ones that have fiber resting against their 'parts'.

There are soaps that can't be used for washing. Someone posted a great website that I used to find the kind I wanted to wash with.

We installed a diaper sprayer to our toilet and it didn't cost much at all. Your hubby could go down to Lowe's or Menards (hardware store of some sort) and get the parts and have it installed in just a few. You spray off the poo into the toilet and toss the dipe into the pail till time to wash.

jconney80
by Group Mod on Apr. 14, 2012 at 11:21 PM
I suggest trying different types to see what works for you instead of putting all of your money into one kind and hating it. I buy used diapers mostly off of craigslist or at local diaper swaps. Or eBay!

My son just potty trained at 25 months and he was CD since 4-6 weeks. And my 6 month old is CD too from birth. I love Thirsties covers for all ages. I like prefolds because they are cheaper. Fitteds are great and pockets for over night.

My kids have never had rashes in CD. The chemicals mostly cause it in disposables.

I use baby wash cloths that I've gotten used at a thrift store for wipes. I just use water on them!

I store my dipes dry in a diaper pail that has the lid you step on to open it.

I wash with homemade detergent but you can use any "free" type of detergent. All Free and Clear, Tide Free. I soak my dipes and wipes for about.30 minutes in the washer with hot water and detergent then run the cycle. Then run it again with hot water to rinse them
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JoyfulJ
by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 12:17 AM

First find a store in your area...it is best to find someone to talk to in person!

Second here are the sites I found...there was no store in the area until I had cd'd for 3 months.

http://www.allaboutclothdiapers.com

http://www.theecofriendlyfamily.com/2010/07/Ive-never-looked-back/

catholicmamamia
by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 10:56 PM

Supplies.. diaper pail, wetbag for pail, wetbag for diaperbag

My faves.. motherease, bumgenius, grovia, thirsties

Rash.. almost no rashes when we use cloth

Washing.. dipes get rinsed and do have wash routine

♥♥ Join us in  
Crunchy Moms  for sharing advice on breastfeeding, babywearing, 
        bedsharing, non-cio. gentle discipline, and natural foods, health, and cleaners! ♥

catholicmamamia
by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 10:56 PM

I loved all of the info I found on http://www.cottonbabies.com/   :o) 

♥♥ Join us in  
Crunchy Moms  for sharing advice on breastfeeding, babywearing, 
        bedsharing, non-cio. gentle discipline, and natural foods, health, and cleaners! ♥

LaughterHugs
by Bronze Member on Apr. 15, 2012 at 10:58 PM
1 mom liked this

What is a Prefold Cloth Diaper?

Rectangular shaped flat cloth diaper with an absorbent pad already sewn in.  Come in a variety of sizes and thicknesses.  Need to be folded to fit in a waterproof diaper cover.

Pros

• Most inexpensive cloth diapering option 
  • Fastest drying     
  • No need for as many different sizes 
  • Versatile - can be used for other functions such as inserts/doublers, burp clothes, rags, etc.

Cons

What is a Fitted Diaper?  

Tailor fitted diaper with Velcro or snap closures so cloth diaper fits closely to baby.  Requires no folding and uses a waterproof diaper cover. 

Pros

• Still Convenient yet less expensive than All In One diaper
  • Easy to use 
  • Very absorbent - great when used as a nighttime cloth diaper

Cons

What is an All-In-One (AIO) Diaper?

All in one diapers have an inner absorbent layer attached to an outer waterproof layer with adjustable closures (either Velcro® or snaps).  All-in-one diapers are just like disposable diapers except you wash them!

Pros

• Most convenient
  • Easiest to use
  • Most like disposables diapers (trimmest fit on baby's butt)

Cons

• One of the most expensive options
  • Usually takes the longest to dry (drying time varies greatly between brands)

If you like the sound of an AIO but worry about the longer drying and cleaning times, you may want to try an AI2. These diapers are All in Ones that allow for the removal of the inner soaker material, the part that absorbs. This makes cleaning and drying much faster. When the two separate parts are paired, they form one diaper.

Advantages of AI2 Cloth Diapers:

• No separate cover required
  • Great for transitioning from disposables to cloth - easy to use
  • Available in lots of cute colors and prints
  • You can always get a new soaker or doubler if the original needs to be replaced

Disadvantages of AI2 Cloth Diapers:

• Keeping soakers or doublers together with the rest of the diaper
  • Usually more expensive than other cloth diapering methods

What is a Pocket Diaper?

A diaper cover that has an opening for a folded Chinese prefold diaper or specially designed insert to be placed into the opening.  This is a two part cloth diapering system.  

Pros

• Fast drying    
  • Gives a very trim fit  
  • Most like an all-in-one diaper making it convenient

Cons

• Pocket diaper cover needs to be washed after every use 
  • Requires simple folding of Chinese prefold diaper before inserting into pocket diaper cover unless you use a specially designed insert
  • Need to "stuff" each pocket diaper cover with Chinese prefold diaper or specially designed insert

What is a diaper cover?

A diaper cover provides the waterproof layer needed to keep your child's clothing dry when using cloth diapers. A Diaper cover should be used with fitted diapers, or foldable diapers like Chinese prefolds.

pull-on style diaper cover may be used when the cloth diaper underneath also has a closure. If you purchase prefolds, you will need to also purchase a Snappi or pins to make a pull-on style diaper cover effective. A diaper cover that closes with hook & loop style fasteners (like Cheeky Diapers) will eliminate the need for pins/fasteners when using foldable diapers.

How many covers do I need?
I recommend purchasing 6-8 diaper covers for a newborn, 4-6 diaper covers for an older baby and 2-3 diaper covers for a toddler.

prefolds and cheeky covers (NB petting big sisters cover b/c it fascinates her)

EBB fitteds on 2yr old and 2 week old

PLUMP AI2

EBB AI2 on my 2 month old NB

same EBB AI2 on my 2 year old

Rumpsack pocket

FBC pocket

I DID do cloth when we lived in apt without our own washer and dryer, for the first year of my eldest DDs life, and needed to do it as inexpensively as possible :D

We simply didn't have the 'fun' CDs (fitteds for me :D) we did the boring/cheap prefolds and covers.

Here's the skinny: Buy 3 proraps in infant size(18.75 from here) and then buy 24 prefolds in infant size (30$ from here) and buy 24 prefolds in premium size (48$ from here) and buy 3 one-sized (10-35lbs) diaper covers (45$ from here).

baby in a prefold

You can now successfully CD your baby from infant through toddlerhood potty time without buying anything else, other then detergent for $141.75 (which is the equivilent of a little over 4 months of a projected 6$ a week disposible diapering using the store brand diapers) (this is more expensive then you HAVE to do, this is just the places I bought from, you can shop around and find the prefolds cheaper and the covers used cheaper if you need to. You could also choose different cover types then cheeky covers, I simply prefer one-sized b/c they break down to costing less then 5$ per size). If you wanted to you could buy snappis to make the prefolds stay on easier once the baby is crawling, but it's all your choice, how much do you have to spend etc :D

Hope this helps

Our family uses cloth diapers. We tried all different kinds of 'sposies back when my oldest girl  was younger, all leaked and or gave her a terrible rash. Here's my quickie comparison chart (based on my personal diaper consumption)

20$ for a box of 80 diapers New Born size (lasted me about a week) x 4 weeks = 80$ for the first month of one baby

40$ for a box of 180 diapers sizes 1-5 (lasted me about 4 weeks - assuming i stretched it between changes) x 3 = 120$ (40$ a month) for months 2-4 of one baby

so that's 200$ for the first 4 months of diapering my baby (firstborn)

I then did a diaper service full time for the next 4 months, it cost me about 220$  (55$ a month)

I got tired of throwing away money and made the switch (slowly) while i was doing the cloth service and bought one or two diapers per week and spent about 300$ total on cloth diapers (prefolds, fitteds and pockets, with an AIO or two)

I now have 2 babies (one born 2008 and one born 2010) and CDed both of them still using the same diapers I originally bought when my eldest was 4 months old. My big girl is no longer in diapers (potty trained/learned on her own at 32 months), but my littler one is still using all her sisters 'old' diapers :)  I can resell the diapers once I'm done with having babies for about half retail (5-18$ a piece) (depending on how they hold up)

to wrap it all up: 300$ total for cloth diapering (2 babies, one for 32 months, one for 14 months so far) , or (projected) 'sposie diapering baby 1 for 32 months: $1240, plus (projected) 'sposie diapering baby 2 for 14 months: $600.

$300 vs $1840, and I no longer need (but prolly will if they get a cute design i want) to buy diapers for any future babies (even for those who only have/plan to have one baby, who is potty-trained by 18 months -a generic number I hear tossed around in baby groups as a desirable 'train-by' date- the comparison could be extrapolated to spending $300 vs $760, and that's assuming I force the training on an arbitrary time-table and doesn't take into accounting the cost of training pants or any extra paraphenalia)

For me the choice was easy :) i'm a cheapskate :)

I buy my cloth diapers from different mamas on cafemom actually :) most of the prefolds you can find in stores suck terribly and turn people off of cloth b/c they think ALL cloth is like (gerber) the junk available in stores (which is only burp cloth material in my mind)

there are a few brick-and-morter stores (i personally only have one near me) you can find 'good' cloth diapers at (but the commercial brands of cloth never worked for me, plus many are sized (meaning you have to buy different diapers as the baby is 10-20lb, 20-30lbs, etc))

I know the mamas i buy from which make me feel safer about buying from them

i use cheeky diapers for covers (all hers are one-sized)

i use rumpsacks or banana mannas for pockets (multi-sized or one-sized)

i use ellabella bottoms,  for fitteds (all hers are one-sized)

i use fluffy butt club (FBC) for pockets (one sized, or multi-sized)

i use PLUMP diapers for my AI2s (all one-sized, and they make up most of my stash now, b/c baby 2 is pretty chunky legged)

i also have bought prefolds from a diaper service i used before i knew what i know now :) (if you ARE buying prefolds and cover -which is the cheapest way to cloth diaper- make sure the prefolds you buy are DSQ: diaper service quality....means they'll be thicker and less likely to tear or shred quickly)

i buy my detergent for the diapers from lil outlaws, she has the cheapest price around and such amazing scents :) i love that my diapers smell like a candy cane :D also, her pail pardner is to-die-for and make mamas wonder how my diaper pails smelling so fabulous :D

if you need anymore sites, i know many for cheap diapers, i just prefer mine by these sellers after shopping around for a few months.....but everyone's different!

MrsAdorkable
by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 7:44 AM

I use pockets w/ prefolds. I prefer WAHM's to commercial brands.
Diaper pail. Shake off solids into toilet, everything else goes in the wash. Most people have the best luck with Tide, but you can experiment. You can also make your own! Have you joined CWCB?

haleykj
by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 8:00 AM
Ok so I do not use a pail. I just use a wetbag( pul inside zips closed so they don't smell up the room..sold for cheap on amazon). I snap my wetbag to the changig table and wash it with the dipes. I have used flips (everyone seems to love them and so do I) best bottoms (great diapers) a few thirsties( I like them too) fuzzibunz (yuck. Hate) Qbaby (even worse than fuzzibunz) easyfits (I cand decide what I think yet lol) bumware(not a big fan). An added bonus to flips is the covers work well with regular prefolds and they are inexpensive. The downside, they're not a's cute. They don't have the prints which I really love the cuteness of cloth.
For a 19 mo old I would get snaps not Velcro so baby doesn't take them off.
Beware the diaper ointments with cloth even like burts bees doesn't work with cd. I use cj's butter and it works great.
Dialed rash is not more likely but my DD got a fungal rash twice now. Idk if it has anything to do with the diapers but I put a little nystatin on it n let her go nakey butt for a while and good a's new.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Apr. 16, 2012 at 12:07 PM

So my questions are before we start what supplies do we need besides the diapers and cloth wipes? You need a pail liner and I suggest a wet/dry bag for when you go out. I also use soap bits and have a few spray bottles.

What kind do you use/is your favorite? I use WAHM diapers but if you want to go commercial I have a few bumgenius and blueberry diapers that aren't bad.

Is diaper rash more of an issue? Christian only gets a rash if he is teething

What about washing them(special soap or process and the poop)?That depends if you have hard water or soft water. Front loader or top loader. Everyone has a different wash routine. I have really hard water and a front loader and the only thing that works is Tide powder. I have tried all the natural detergents but I had stink issues.

Trailerparkmom
by on Apr. 17, 2012 at 3:24 AM

Cloth is awesome!  Once you get into the routine it is easy.  Diaper rash is less of an issue IMO.  I like prefolds and covers best, my hubby prefers bumgenius and kawaii pocket diapers.  If $ is an issue prefolds and covers are very reasonable, but alva, sunbabies and kawaii pocket diapers are reasonable, cute and work well!  If cost is not an issue, bumgenius pockets are great diapers I highly recommend them!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)