Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Beans, beans the magical fruit...

Posted by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 11:10 PM
  • 17 Replies

I made tostados for dinner tonight. We call them taco pizzas. Usually I use refried beans as "sauce". I would prefer to swap out the refried beans for black beans, but I have no idea how to prepare them. I can get them in bulk at Winco but I don't know what to do with them after that.

by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 11:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
peaches_04
by Platinum Member on Apr. 17, 2012 at 12:30 AM
The more the eat the more toot
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
peaches_04
by Platinum Member on Apr. 17, 2012 at 12:31 AM
The more you toot the better you feel...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
peaches_04
by Platinum Member on Apr. 17, 2012 at 12:31 AM
So lets eat beans for every meal:D
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
peaches_04
by Platinum Member on Apr. 17, 2012 at 12:32 AM
Why not marinara
Ive done it on tostados before:)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JMmama
by Silver Member on Apr. 17, 2012 at 12:43 AM

You are hilarious. I'm so glad someone else knew that rhyme.

I could use marinara, I just don't want to, lol. I know beans are really good for you (albeit not the refried variety) and I figure if the kids already are accustomed to the texture, then a switch to black beans (maybe run through the magic bullet) should be pretty easy. I'm just not sure how exactly to prepare the beans. I think maybe they need to soak first?

Quoting peaches_04:

Why not marinara

peaches_04
by Platinum Member on Apr. 17, 2012 at 12:46 AM
I dunno....let me see if I can get jiffy in here she might:)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jiffypop2207
by Member on Apr. 17, 2012 at 1:59 AM
I've done it before but its a long process to do it urself. A lot of the dried beans have the recipe on the bag, is there a reason u don't like the premade ones in a can?

Quoting JMmama:

I could use marinara, I just don't want to, lol. I know beans are really good for you (albeit not the refried variety) and I figure if the kids already are accustomed to the texture, then a switch to black beans (maybe run through the magic bullet) should be pretty easy. I'm just not sure how exactly to prepare the beans. I think maybe they need to soak first?

Quoting peaches_04:

Why not marinara

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JMmama
by Silver Member on Apr. 17, 2012 at 2:04 AM

They have black beans in a can? The refried ones I get come out of a can, but I just figured if I was going to switch to healthier beans I should switch to the dry ones you can buy in bulk. If the ones in the can are just as good, I'll get those. Sorry if I sound like a complete idiot, but we don't eat many beans. I  know they're good for you, so I'm trying to gradually work them in. Clearly, I have no idea where to start though, lol.

Quoting jiffypop2207:

I've done it before but its a long process to do it urself. A lot of the dried beans have the recipe on the bag, is there a reason u don't like the premade ones in a can?

Quoting JMmama:

Quoting peaches_04:

Why not marinara

Danita42
by on Apr. 17, 2012 at 2:12 AM
I buy bulk. You soak them over night with 1 tbs of baking soda, then dump the soaking water. Then fill the pot back up with new water, place beans in there. Also I add cumin, garlic, salt and pepper to them while they cook. I also cook them in the crock pot for 2-4 hours depending on the bean. When they are done cooking I place the beans in a strainer to let them cool and save the cooking water. Then when they are cooled I measure out 1 1/2 and place in individual ziploc bags and put 1/2 cup og cooking water in the bag, then freeze them!
Danita42
by on Apr. 17, 2012 at 2:15 AM
I dont think its to time consuming but I stay away from cans because of the BPA.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)