Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Interesting article...and cause of great debate!

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 9:43 AM
  • 20 Replies
1 mom liked this

Kelly Preston: Breastfeeding Brings Closeness

Andrew MacPherson

When the time comes, Kelly Preston admits weaning her 16-month-old son Benjamin won’t be easy — and not just for him.

“When I stop, it’s going to be really hard on me. I love nursing so much,” Preston, 49, tells PEOPLE.

“I love the closeness and knowing that I’m giving him the best as far as nutrients and antibodies. And he really loves it, too.”

Not yet on a schedule, Ben shares the bed with Preston and hubby John Travolta. She nurses him couple times a night and four or five times during the day.

“He’ll come up and point and go, ‘Mama, more,’” says Preston, laughing. “It’s so cute!”

Like his big sister Ella, 12, Ben has also developed an eclectic palate: he’s already a fan of filet mignon, scallops, salmon, organic veggies and, says his proud mom, “pretty much everything” — and is growing by leaps and bounds.

“New words are coming so fast,” says Preston, who recently partnered with non-profits Best for Babes and Healthy Child Healthy World to help educate moms about healthy living. “He loves ‘B’ words — basketball, bus, belly button, bird. He talks to birds and looks at them in the sky, and loves airplanes, busses, balls and lizards … and his favorite star is Elmo.”

Preston, who turns 50 in October, often swaps lifestyle and baby tips with her girlfriends, including fellow moms Jenna Elfman and Laila Ali, with whom she co-hosted an event Saturday at Elfman’s house to celebrate moms and educate them about raising kids in eco-friendly homes.

As it turned out, Preston was a little late to her own party. But who could blame her? As she told her guests, including mom-to-be Vanessa Lachey, she was busy nursing!

– Elizabeth Leonard

While I hardly read "hollywood articles" I found this one interesting.  I also found the comments under it VERY interesting.   I am a huge supporter of extended breastfeeding.  I think it helps with bonding, security, and immune health.  However, I found that a lot of people think it's creepy.  So, what are your views on this?  I think it's wonderful that a "celebrity" is openly talking about EBF, and the benefits.

Pregnancy%20ticker

Austin 2/28/07, Lily 2/21/08, Aubrey 4/30/10
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 9:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
VintageWife
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 9:47 AM

How awesome is that!

FebPenguins
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 11:22 AM

COOL! I weaned at 16 mths b/c I was done. Just done. The kids were okay with it too.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Apr. 19, 2012 at 11:30 AM

LOVE her even more now!

justone_jen
by Bronze Member on Apr. 19, 2012 at 11:30 AM
3 moms liked this
I support mothers, period. If you breastfeed for a month, I support you. If you breastfeed until your baby self weans, I support you. I would never think extended nursing is creepy, and those who do are likely ignorant.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Apr. 19, 2012 at 11:31 AM

With their family being scientologists I am kinda shocked she is nursing honestly

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Apr. 19, 2012 at 11:32 AM

OH my views...extended BFing is confusing for some people..they thinktoddlers who nurse ONLY nurse, like they nurse like newborns..they dont seem to understand that after a year its not so often, its not long nursings and its WITH solids

MommaGreenhalge
by Member on Apr. 19, 2012 at 11:36 AM
Exactly. It's no different from the sippy cup or bottle of cow's milk most kids get by their first birthday. Just a better product and different deivery system.

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

OH my views...extended BFing is confusing for some people..they thinktoddlers who nurse ONLY nurse, like they nurse like newborns..they dont seem to understand that after a year its not so often, its not long nursings and its WITH solids

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Apr. 19, 2012 at 11:45 AM

Great article!

jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Apr. 19, 2012 at 11:54 AM
2 moms liked this
Hmm. I don't really interpret this as an advocate of extended breastfeeding- her son is ONLY four months passed a year and she's going to be weaning him. That's not extended!
But I do love how she talks about the importance of breastfeeding, and openly.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NDFanatik
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 1:01 PM

I think it's great that someone is talking about bfing a baby after 1 year.  Extended bfing?  Not so much, BUT it is a sad thing in our culture that after 1 yr ppl expect moms & babies to stop- It is NOT the biological norm and babies get many benefits from nursing longer. 

That being said, I'm glad that they hosted a benefit and that this is getting public attention.  I bf my son 1.5yrs and my daughter for 2.5yrs- The comments from strangers when they found out I was still bfing is very depressing.  *sighs*  One day hopefully it will be more "normal" in our backwards society.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)