Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

posting a lot...I know!!

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 10:32 AM
  • 14 Replies

Okay, I have been posting a lot.  But, anyway, I was in my DD group and saw something that I see A LOT.

"I had a difficult labor that resulted in a c-section.  So, thank GOD I was in the hospital!"

It makes me wonder what interventions she had that ultimately caused her to have a difficult labor...and then caused the c-section.  I have noticed a lot of women say they had a difficult labor, but in reality it was caused by the hospital.  This just makes me want to pull my hair out!  Then, when I hear the full story it just angers me even more.  We all know the routine:

Woman goes to hospital
Gets IV
Lays in bed unable to move because of monitors
Labor doesn't progress (remember, she's on that timeline!!)
Pitocin administered
Contractions are unbearable
Epidural administered
Labor slows
Pitocin "upped"
Contractions unbearable
Epidural "upped"
Babies begins to have "decellerations"
Mother given oxygen
Dialation checked...only a 7
C-section preformed.

Oh Thank GOD she was in the hospital...they did ALL they could, right?! 

Pregnancy%20ticker

Austin 2/28/07, Lily 2/21/08, Aubrey 4/30/10
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 10:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tabi_cat1023
by Tabi - Admin on Apr. 19, 2012 at 10:39 AM

YEP..course my 4 ended up like this BUT once pit was given I would speed to a 10..next time HOMEBIRTH!

imtheonlysane1
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 10:47 AM

Yep it is a vicious cycle that far to women fall for. The doctors convince women that giving birth is something that needs to be medically handled instead of letting their bodies do what it was made to do. Granted, some women do have very painful/hard deliveries BUT if they would get up and move around , letting gravity do the work for them, they would find that it doesn't have to be as hard as it is. 

melindabelcher
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 10:55 AM

Its an awful cycle. don't forget the dr. is the superhero! If it wasn't for him.....

And mom often gets shafted and we wonder why labor is protrayed in a negative light instead of positive.

FebPenguins
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 11:07 AM

laughingI am not laughing at you or at the cycle. I can just hear the disgust! So very well said!  And I love the last line. "Thank God she was in the hospital, they did ALL they could!"

I will say that sometimes I wonder about the few women who get an epi and deliver within an hour of getting it. Is it mental or do they really get the relief that they need to relax and let their bodies do its job?

Liebevoll_mami
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 11:14 AM

yea theres A LOT of women in my DD group that i'm starting to realize i just cannot talk to.........

i'm kinda pushy about my parenting styles (well yea...because i KNOW the things "i do" are safest for children. like using the carseat right. and of course the whole...hospital situation..... -.- i try not to be pushy but hey. its who i am right?)

that and i cant stand that half the teenage mothers out there are turning into even more of a statistic then they already were when they became teenage mother. that upsets me to no end.

deccaf
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 11:17 AM

So lucky with my hospital birth.  No time for any interventions.  1/2 hour, maybe 45 minutes, after entering hospital, I had my daughter in my arms.

Naegore
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 11:21 AM
If your water breaks at home, you are most certainly bedridden and pitocin is administered at once. That happened to me. As they were preparing me for csection, I was allowed to rest in a squatting position. I felt my pelvis open and he came sliding out. When I said something the nurse stuck her hand between my legs and said it was against hospital policy. They then wheeled ne back for the csection. I hate that I was so uninformed. I have spent the last 5 years arming myself for my next pregnancy and birth.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LilynAustin
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 11:26 AM

I think some times the epidural can be beneficial.  I know it helped my labor with my daughter, who was induced, very much.  However, it made me shake so bad after that I couldn't hold her for hours.  I was unable to breastfeed because I didn't bond.  I think the pitocin mixed with the epidural made it so I never got that natural oxytocin release.  Way to mess with nature right?  I mean, Chimpanzee's who deliver by c-section will refuse to care for their offspring.  That brings me to a second question: Why would we deliver a Chimpanzee by c-section?  When I take our reasons for c-section and say Chimp instead of "her" I sounds SO stupid.  The Chimp wasn't progressing fast enough...LOL!!!  I mean, animals have babies in the wild ALL the time without medical intervention.  All of a sudden one is in the Zoo and we decide she needs a c-section.  Even, the animal kingdom cannot escape scalpel obsession!!

It reminds me of this episode of Grey's Anatomy where one of the surgical interns is sitting there with this forlorn look on her face and she says, "I NEED to cut!!!"  This is something I have never forgotten and ever since I have viewed doctors as scalpel obsessed surgery freaks who have to cut at least once a day to be satisfied!  I am warped sometimes...I admit. 

Quoting FebPenguins:

laughingI am not laughing at you or at the cycle. I can just hear the disgust! So very well said!  And I love the last line. "Thank God she was in the hospital, they did ALL they could!"

I will say that sometimes I wonder about the few women who get an epi and deliver within an hour of getting it. Is it mental or do they really get the relief that they need to relax and let their bodies do its job?

Pregnancy%20ticker

JoyfulMommy1221
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 12:07 PM
I posted on your other post as well, but when I talked to my ob she sounded exactly like this happens under her care a lot. It is a group practice, so I'm praying I don't get her. I loathe her, and I really try to not loathe anyone...

She also said that it is a good thing to break water at 4cm o.O
LilynAustin
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 12:12 PM

Wow!  Oh I hope you find another option here.  There is no medical reason to break a water...unless you just want to speed up the labor.  Like I've always said, doctors don't know anything about birthing babies...just about cutting them out.  Have you looked into maybe going somewhere else?  Or are you just locked in to where you are now?

Quoting JoyfulMommy1221:

I posted on your other post as well, but when I talked to my ob she sounded exactly like this happens under her care a lot. It is a group practice, so I'm praying I don't get her. I loathe her, and I really try to not loathe anyone...

She also said that it is a good thing to break water at 4cm o.O

Pregnancy%20ticker

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)