Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Figured this may be an okay group to post my question?? lol

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 11:19 AM
  • 12 Replies
I want to grow a mini garden. Mainly want a tomato tree and some herbs. Maybe cucumbers.

But I live in an apartment. Second floor. And no sun really hits our balcony due to a huge tree right outside.

Is there any hope I could pull it off? How would I even attempt a tomato tree? A large pot?

Any fun links with creative ideas you know of and could point me to?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 11:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Apr. 19, 2012 at 11:29 AM

We use the topsy turvy type things for tomatos, I prefer that over the regular pots because it keep animals off my plants lol

iMommyDi
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 11:30 AM
So it is possible in a bucket?

The only animals that can get on my balcony are squirrels. Would squirrels be interested in stealing my tomatoes?

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

We use the topsy turvy type things for tomatos, I prefer that over the regular pots because it keep animals off my plants lol

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RADmomma
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 11:31 AM

tomatoes and cukes need a decent amount of sun... like 8 hours a day. Do you have a large window that gets alot of sun? you could do the topsy turvy inside hanging in the window...

other than that... I would recommend one of the big buckets with the rope handles... so you can move them around to follow the sun.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Apr. 19, 2012 at 11:34 AM

Yeah it is possible..read up on container gardening.

Squirrels steal my strawberries so I dunno lol

Quoting iMommyDi:

The only animals that can get on my balcony are squirrels. Would squirrels be interested in stealing my tomatoes?

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

iMommyDi
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 11:35 AM
Yeah my bedroom window gets sun. I'd rather not have a huge plant right there though! lol

I'm gonna pay more attention to my patio and see of there are spots that see sun. But the tree is still filling in its leaves so it will be much more dense. Fooey :(

Quoting RADmomma:

tomatoes and cukes need a decent amount of sun... like 8 hours a day. Do you have a large window that gets alot of sun? you could do the topsy turvy inside hanging in the window...

other than that... I would recommend one of the big buckets with the rope handles... so you can move them around to follow the sun.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
iMommyDi
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 11:36 AM
Oooooh...... Strawberries!!!!!! I want those too!

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Yeah it is possible..read up on container gardening.

Squirrels steal my strawberries so I dunno lol

Quoting iMommyDi:

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Apr. 19, 2012 at 11:46 AM

Without sun you may be out of luck.

rosejoyfrogs
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 12:12 PM

Have you thought of grow lights or flourescent lights?

iMommyDi
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 2:29 PM
I have no means of electricity outside on the balcony.

Doing some research today on the things I would be interested in growing, and they all need full sun :(

We won't be here next year, so I'll just have to hold off it looks like. Unless they magically cut down this tree that appears half dead! lol

Quoting rosejoyfrogs:

Have you thought of grow lights or flourescent lights?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
thundersky
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 2:46 PM

you can maybe try this 

http://pinterest.com/pin/165507355026061338/

.barrel planter

duh idea!  Could grow carrots year roundUpcycled Herb Garden

hope this hepls for some ideas

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)