Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

How long did you or will you nurse your baby?

Posted by on Apr. 21, 2012 at 1:33 PM
  • 81 Replies

Kelly Preston Should Breastfeed Her Toddler No Matter What the Haters Say

Kelly Preston may be a famous actress and married to a huge star, but as a mom, she has always been very relatable. Her now 16-month-old son Benjamin is just getting to the age where she is starting to consider weaning him. She, like all of us, is having strong feelings about that.

According to the Winnipeg Free Press, Preston isn't ready to give up the closeness she feels with her son and, wow, do I relate. No one ever tells you just how hard weaning will truly be. But it's something all moms talk about in secret.

With my first, she was ready to wean at 11 months. She was never a big nurser. I pushed her to one year, but when she was done, she was done.

My second, my baby, went much longer. I nursed him until he was almost 3. This was partly because he loved it and partly because I did.

There is a special closeness that, even now, more than a year after weaning, I still miss so much. That bond is something unique. But when you nurse an older child, there is a stigma attached that few discuss. We hear ALL about the "breastfeeding militants" who try to force their "agenda" on women who choose not to breastfeed.

But we hear very little about the other side of judgement. Those who are not in the know about nursing basically think anyone who doesn't stop at one year is crazy. I can't tell you how many looks I got when I was nursing my 2-year-old and beyond.

"Isn't he too old for that?" one particularly rude woman asked me. Well, no. He isn't. Extended breastfeeding is actually GOOD for children. Maybe if Preston doesn't feel ready to stop, she shouldn't.

She is not mentioning the societal pressure, so maybe that isn't her issue. But if it is, that shouldn't stop her from continuing to nurse if both she and her son want to do so.

It's really no one's business and only hateful, ignorant people judge that way anyway.

How long did you nurse your baby?

by on Apr. 21, 2012 at 1:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rlhall1980
by on Apr. 21, 2012 at 1:36 PM
My oldest took formula from day one. I was young and naive. My 2nd I weaned at 9 months bc he was biting sooooo bad. I am currently still nursing my youngest...he will be 15 months on Wednesday.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cemcnair
by Courtney on Apr. 21, 2012 at 1:38 PM
Currently at 20 1/2 months! We will go until at least two and then see how we both feel about it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommaGreenhalge
by Member on Apr. 21, 2012 at 1:39 PM
I nursed both boys for a year, and I plan to nurse DD till at least 18 months.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ToriBabe1221
by on Apr. 21, 2012 at 1:41 PM
Nursed my first over 3 years. Going strong at 6 weeks with my 2nd
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rfurlongg
by on Apr. 21, 2012 at 1:42 PM
Around 2yrs for each kid. They self weaned.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cuppycake91
by on Apr. 21, 2012 at 1:42 PM

I just weaned my DD last month at 21 months. 

Donna.June
by on Apr. 21, 2012 at 1:48 PM
Dd1 had formula from day one. I knew nothing about breastfeeding at the time. I was 18. Dd2, I breastfed for close to 10 months. I stopped when I found out we we're expecting dd3. Dd3 was breastfed for a year. As soon as she was weaned, we learned we were pregnant again. Dd4 is seven and a half months. I hope to breastfeed her for a year. Hopefully I can have a break after her :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jconney80
by Group Mod on Apr. 21, 2012 at 1:49 PM
3 moms liked this

I'm tandem nursing a 26 month old & an almost 7 month old! My kids will self wean when they are ready....whenever that may be :)

DMWmomma
by Member on Apr. 21, 2012 at 1:52 PM
My first is 13 months and we are still going strong. I want to go till 2 but as of now it's up to him. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MissSarah04
by Bronze Member on Apr. 21, 2012 at 1:55 PM
I hope my daughter will self wean. Breastfeeding has been a huge battle for us but I have no intention of forcing her to wean unless my nipples fall off!

She just turned 3 months yesterday!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN