Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

All Aboard!

Posted by on Apr. 21, 2012 at 8:32 PM
  • 6 Replies

I got a notification in the mail today... It has a picture of a train and says, "FOR TENNESSEE TOTS... GET ON BOARD! THE IMMUNIZATION EXPRESS!"

On the back it says, "It's Time For Shots! Your Child Needs Shots at the Following Ages. Contact your doctor or local health department for needed immunizations."

NBD, but it really annoyed me. The words "needs" and "needed". I'm sad that most parents who receive this card will read that and think, "Oh! I need to get my baby to the doctor to have thier shots!" I wonder what would happen if the Department of Health sent out FACTS on vaccines instead of telling parents their baby needs them...

CafeMom Tickers
by on Apr. 21, 2012 at 8:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
kidnappedbylove
by on Apr. 21, 2012 at 8:37 PM

I know what you mean. When I was in the hospital after James was born, I was reading through the booklet about the PKU testing, and it said "Can I refuse testing?" "No, not unless you have religious objections." Something like that.. WTH! Like it's legally required to let you guess if something's wrong with my baby by sticking his foot with a pin and squishy the blood out? Um no. If I say no, you go away. I did the testing, but I hate that they try to act like they can force you to do it. They can't. So aggravating. I wish more parents stood up for their right to make choices for their own bodies and children.

haleykj
by on Apr. 21, 2012 at 8:41 PM
Yeah they said they had to do blood tests on my DD too n I didnt know so I just said ok and that stupid bit h nurse did t know what she was Doing and pricked her foot like ten fucking times I was so pissed I was about to slap her. My poor baby.

Quoting kidnappedbylove:

I know what you mean. When I was in the hospital after James was born, I was reading through the booklet about the PKU testing, and it said "Can I refuse testing?" "No, not unless you have religious objections." Something like that.. WTH! Like it's legally required to let you guess if something's wrong with my baby by sticking his foot with a pin and squishy the blood out? Um no. If I say no, you go away. I did the testing, but I hate that they try to act like they can force you to do it. They can't. So aggravating. I wish more parents stood up for their right to make choices for their own bodies and children.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kidnappedbylove
by on Apr. 21, 2012 at 8:44 PM

I allowed it, I just hate that they make you feel like they're in charge. I had the baby, I'm in charge. And yes, those foot pricks are heart breaking :( They kept squeezing my baby's foot to get more blood out and were complaining about him being a "hard bleeder". I gave her one hell of an evil eye ;)

Quoting haleykj:

Yeah they said they had to do blood tests on my DD too n I didnt know so I just said ok and that stupid bit h nurse did t know what she was Doing and pricked her foot like ten fucking times I was so pissed I was about to slap her. My poor baby.

Quoting kidnappedbylove:

RADmomma
by on Apr. 21, 2012 at 9:09 PM

oh those mailings really bug me.

MommaGreenhalge
by Member on Apr. 21, 2012 at 9:51 PM
I got that one. I hate that they make you think you don't have a choice.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mjrex87
by Mindy on Apr. 21, 2012 at 10:06 PM

I was so pissed about this too. When my ped's office got the results, the stupid nurse called and told me I had to come in to have it done again because of "abnormal results." Naturally, I was terrified that there was something wrong with my daughter. So I went in to have it done again and it was terrible because they took their good sweet time so the blood flow stopped and they had to prick her other heel. It took forever and poor DD was screaming her head off. Then a couple weeks later, I get another call from the ped's office, luckily from a competent nurse this time, saying I needed to have the test repeated! I asked her why this kept happening and she said the first test wasn't acceptable because it didn't have the date or time! I was SO MAD! This all happened because the nurse at the hospital didn't do her job!! Plus, the stupid nurse told me it was "abnormal" when it wasn't. The second test didn't have enough blood. Again, someone (the nurse I dont' like) didn't know what they were doing and my poor baby is suffering. So instead of going back to the office, I called my MW, who would have done the test originally if I had been able to have my home birth. She came to my home, had me nurse DD while she did the heel prick, and was done in just a couple minutes. She got the results back just a couple days later and everything was fine. 

Quoting haleykj:

Quoting kidnappedbylove:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)