Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Sex before dr appt?

Posted by on Apr. 22, 2012 at 2:15 AM
  • 12 Replies
Do midwives have the same recommendations to wait 4-6 weeks before having sex after birth? Is infection a realistic concern? Did you wait?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 22, 2012 at 2:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
metallicagurl84
by on Apr. 22, 2012 at 2:26 AM
Hahahah *clears throat* ...ummm, with my last few children I waited, simply because I bleed heavily the entire 6 wks. But after my first DD, I was 18 & horny (and I even ripped inside with her) & I was wearing tampons again & having sex with my first DH after two weeks. I had no complications. With my second DD, I waited simply because I'd rather that than have sex with my ex.. With my fiance, between his concern for my health, us wooing over our lil ones together & the enjoyment of the anticipation is why we waited. It's preference. But they say it isn't good to wear tampons, have sex (or any penetration) or take a bath for 6 weeks while still healing. It's up to you.
BB
Fey
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
turtle68
by Member on Apr. 22, 2012 at 4:01 AM

I waited simply because my uterus was still contracting down, while that is happening you are more prone to infections.  I wouldnt chance that.  If you are that horny ...help yourself :-)

melindabelcher
by mel on Apr. 22, 2012 at 4:11 AM
With my first we waited 5 weeks. Second 2 weeks. Third 2.5 weeks. No complications
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
krayzbabylove
by on Apr. 22, 2012 at 4:17 AM
They recommend it, yes. I waited four weeks.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BettyBlythe
by on Apr. 22, 2012 at 5:07 AM
My midwife suggested to resume sex at my own pace. My bleeding stopped at 2 weeks so... We waited 2 weeks lol.
I don't have any tips or tears though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
peaches_04
by on Apr. 22, 2012 at 5:33 AM
1 mom liked this
Yes its a real concern
There are plenty of other ways to have sex without vaginal penetration
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TrentsMom84
by Silver Member on Apr. 22, 2012 at 12:34 PM

I had no desire to have sex right away so it was a moot point in our house (I think it was 3 months before we had sex post partum).  My midwife never gave instructions on when it was okay.  Even if there wasn't a risk of infection a doctor would never sign off because they don't see you in between baby being born and 6 week check so they would have no idea how healing is going.  I'd say if you feel totally ready proceed cautiously and let DH know that you might have to stop during the deed.

EthansMomma2010
by on Apr. 22, 2012 at 5:13 PM

my dr said it was fine as long as the bleeding had stopped and I didn't feel pain while doing it. I didn't tear at all tho.

kidnappedbylove
by on Apr. 22, 2012 at 5:17 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone. I didn't tear and it's been 4 weeks. There's still a little blood here and there, so I guess I should wait. My appointment is Thursday.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SharonHernandez
by on Apr. 22, 2012 at 5:19 PM

I only waited 2 weeks.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)