Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

There is NO natural induction method. Once you try something to force baby out, that is UNnatural. Yes even EPO, Nipple Stim and sex in order to bring upon labor is UNnatural.**yes sex, if you are having sex to force baby out that is induction. if you are just having sex cuz you want to have sex with your partner and just happen to go into labor that is different, we are talking about you purposely doing something to cause labor to begin** 

If your body needs help to get baby out, that is UNnatural.

Babies need to stay as long as THEY want. NOT as long as you want. The fact is you will ONLY go into labor when the BABY has released a chemical/hormone that signals that the babies lungs have matured. If you force baby out before then you run the risk of your child being born too soon (yes even if you are 40wks there can be complications due to lung maturity,etc)

Also those last few weeks and days are crucial to brain development. Why deprive your baby of everything it needs so you can be comfortable or not go past a certain day. 

And seriously, i cannot tell you how many times ive seen this comment, in this group, this past week-
"baby can get too big"

Um wrong! you will never grow a baby too big for your body to birth UNLESS you have a pelvic deformity or previous trauma to your pelvis. It just isnt going to happen. Your body knows what to do, women have been giving birth for thousands of years, the whole "too big to deliver" crap has only been around for maybe 50 years.

LET YOUR BABY COME WHEN YOUR BABY IS READY!

Seriously ladies, this is a natural birth and parenting group. LEARN about what natural birth really is. Until then......

**apparently this post needs a disclaimer... this is not talking about preemies or true medically indicated inductions or csections are needed, this is the im full term and baby isnt here yet and im impatient and want to have baby now type of cases. those cases suck, been there done that, but that still doesnt mean you've had a natural birth. birth is only natural when you've done nothing to help it along. end of story.

**** do you really need to get into semantics here ladies? how about this... do nothing but let your body and your baby decide when baby is born. thats all you need to do. pretty freaking simple. that is natural, that is normal. anything else and its no longer natural.   

by on Apr. 23, 2012 at 8:29 AM
Replies (21-30):
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Apr. 23, 2012 at 1:49 PM
Yup. Castor oil and the herbs/oils I know about are no good, I always suggest against them. (RRL is not one of those herbs, btw.)
Especially castor- it destroys our insides and works the same way drinking dish soap would!

Quoting rena_goldmoon:

Quoting jellyphish:

There is no such thing as induction by natural means (with the exception of a few herbs/oils).

Sex will not induce, it prepares. Same is true for epo. Walking stimulates contractions, but won't induce. Even energy work like acupuncture and reflexology will not induce labor in a healthy woman, all they do is balance her energy to help ensure her body is doing what it needs to do- even if that means more waiting- and make for a smoothly l&d.

The fact is, our bodies are more in tuned to nature than we think, and will not go into labor given natural means of induction.

So relax, let your bp fall back down. You're probably not going to convince any late-term woman to stop walking, having sex, or taking supplements, and to sit on her ass all day waiting for baby; frankly that's not healthy either.

I agree. Even a lot of medically induced inductions are not effective hence some c-sections. The biggest thing here I think would be side affects of some desperate "natural" induction methods. For instance my mom took Castor oil with my baby sister and had diarrhea so bad she ended up so exhausted and dehydrated she almost had no strength to make it through the actual labor and I'm sure that wasn't the only side effect. I don't think we can bring labor on unless we do something drastic (although some of it might not seem drastic at the time) that literally forces our bodies into action and again sometimes that just brings on hard labor and no actual progression. Our bodies are made to protect these little ones and will continue to do so unless forced otherwise. I think anything that would force actual labor would have other bad side effects considering our bodies and baby wouldn't be ready. So what ever was happening would be working against our bodies. I am also against any form of induction and I see what your saying. Its more the mindset and obviously going out of your way then the actual method but I don't think sex or walking would actually cause labor unless you completely sent your body into distress. Which isn't likely. I do think that the "I need this baby out soon" mindset could set you up for trying the more drastic methods though and I don't think we should encourage the seemingly innocent methods unless done for preporation rather then induction. Sorry. This was very long and probably not very clear.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Angeldolphine
by on Apr. 23, 2012 at 2:43 PM
3 moms liked this

Uh, nipple stimulation, walking,  and sex to get the baby out is natural, because it won't work unless your baby is ready. Sweeping membranes, pitocin is unnatural.

louzannalady
by Silver Member on Apr. 23, 2012 at 2:51 PM

Amen!

lundaylove
by on Apr. 23, 2012 at 2:51 PM
1 mom liked this

pitoin,sweeping membranes,castor oil,etc etc etc wont work unless baby is ready either. no matter what you do to force your baby out before baby decides it is time to be born, that is unnatural.

Quoting Angeldolphine:

Uh, nipple stimulation, walking,  and sex to get the baby out is natural, because it won't work unless your baby is ready. Sweeping membranes, pitocin is unnatural.

LilynAustin
by on Apr. 23, 2012 at 2:59 PM
2 moms liked this

I agree.  I think having sex just to have sex is great during pregnancy!  I had sex when I was 41 weeks pregnant, not to induce labor (I already knew my dates were off, so I was only 40 weeks according to my dates!) but because my poor husband had been without for almost 5 weeks.  Anyway, I had sex, and about 2 hours later I started having contractions.  I wasn't trying to induce labor, but it did happen.  My labor slowed though, and she wasn't born for another 3 days.

I just get REALLY upset when a woman who is 36 weeks along asks how to induce her labor naturally.  I mean, seriously?!  What if your dates are off?  What if your baby is born prematurely?  I don't think I could live with myself if I tried to induce my labor, and my child was born sick or died because of it.  Though, I also agree with the other women, that if baby isn't ready NONE of those methods are going to work.  

It should happen naturally.  It's better for Mamma, for baby, and just for the whole birthing experience.  I know that my natural labors, not induced, were FAR less painful, and I enjoyed them more.  I had one induction, and it was AWFUL.  I get upset when women come on and brag about being induced.  I want to smack them upside the head, and tell them how friggin painful it is!  :(  Worst experience of my life.

peaches_04
by Platinum Member on Apr. 23, 2012 at 3:09 PM
Im with tiff on this one

Quoting VintageWife:

I know what you mean, but I think I still disagree. Of course I don't think sex really works as an induction method anyway. I guess I wonder at what point we'd say a woman 'did' have a natural birth. What if she walks down to the grocery and the thought pops into her mind 'hmmm...maybe this walk will get things started'. Has she then crossed into an 'unnatural' birth if she does go in labor that day?

I am totally with you if someone has pineapple, casteroil, sex, rrl, etc all in the same day to get it started. That was an induction of sorts for sure. But I feel having sex or wanting labor vibes while on your walk, doesn't change it from a natural birth. It's doing everything all at once in the hopes of forcing things that changes it. 

Quoting lundaylove

having sex purely to go into labor to me makes an UNnatural birth. the mother has done something to put herself into labor, that is not natural. Now if you had sex because you wanted to have sex with your partner and just happened to go into labor thats fine because it was not with the intention of inducing, kwim?

Quoting VintageWife:

I don't agree with the sex thing but oh well. I mean if someone has sex cause they want to and another person has sex cause they secretly hope they'll go into labor, you are saying one of them didn't have a natural birth?!?

And there have been people saying a baby can get too big? I haven't noticed that. Were they all in one thread? *Goes lurking*

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Salz
by on Apr. 23, 2012 at 3:10 PM

Yes! Thank you!

mommyjenn84
by on Apr. 23, 2012 at 3:12 PM
3 moms liked this
I 100% agree with this first paragraph. I am one of those women who almost got pushed out. I think there is a major difference between aggressive and passionate. Not to.mention, if a woman is coming to LEARN, more power to her. I happen to break all the rules. I get the biggest intervention.of all, im a csection mom. BUT I came to learn even before i.got pregnant this time, and being a csection mom in an ALL NATURAL group is SCARY. Im not sure why I didnt end up leaving honestly. But being here helped me come to terms with my upcoming section amd has helped me be more natural.in some other areas.

All im really.trying to say, is lets not push the curious away because our passion comes across as judgy or aggressive.

(btw, I didn't know exactly what natural birth was until this group, other than no meds. It took coming here and learning to get that. Scare moms off who want.to learn, and youve accomplished nothing)

Quoting BridgetMc:

There are many women who come here looking for knowledge and support. If we bash, look down on them and speak aggressively then they might not come back. We need to encourage others not judge and place our own opinions out there as law.

Personally, I had sex an hour or so before going into labor. I still had a completely natural labor and delivery. I was 42w3d so of course the thought of sex starting my labor had crossed my mind and I don't think that changes anything. Sex is a natural act so I don't feel that doing something natural makes my labor unnatural.

Quoting lundaylove:

one, im not aggressive and two, in a natural birth group one would think i wouldnt need to sway another...

Quoting ReiReally:

You seem awfully passionate about this when in reality, you only have say over your own children's birth.

You think getting aggressive over this is going to sway anyone to want a natural birth?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JMmama
by Silver Member on Apr. 23, 2012 at 3:37 PM

I agree. We seem to be splitting some really fine gairs here.

Quoting jellyphish:

There is no such thing as induction by natural means (with the exception of a few herbs/oils).
Sex will not induce, it prepares. Same is true for epo. Walking stimulates contractions, but won't induce. Even energy work like acupuncture and reflexology will not induce labor in a healthy woman, all they do is balance her energy to help ensure her body is doing what it needs to do- even if that means more waiting- and make for a smoothly l&d.
The fact is, our bodies are more in tuned to nature than we think, and will not go into labor given natural means of induction.
So relax, let your bp fall back down. You're probably not going to convince any late-term woman to stop walking, having sex, or taking supplements, and to sit on her ass all day waiting for baby; frankly that's not healthy either.

peaches_04
by Platinum Member on Apr. 23, 2012 at 3:38 PM
Agree
And who would want to be shitting their brains out during labor
I never understood that one

Quoting jellyphish:

Yup. Castor oil and the herbs/oils I know about are no good, I always suggest against them. (RRL is not one of those herbs, btw.)

Especially castor- it destroys our insides and works the same way drinking dish soap would!

Quoting rena_goldmoon:

Quoting jellyphish:

I agree. Even a lot of medically induced inductions are not effective hence some c-sections. The biggest thing here I think would be side affects of some desperate "natural" induction methods. For instance my mom took Castor oil with my baby sister and had diarrhea so bad she ended up so exhausted and dehydrated she almost had no strength to make it through the actual labor and I'm sure that wasn't the only side effect. I don't think we can bring labor on unless we do something drastic (although some of it might not seem drastic at the time) that literally forces our bodies into action and again sometimes that just brings on hard labor and no actual progression. Our bodies are made to protect these little ones and will continue to do so unless forced otherwise. I think anything that would force actual labor would have other bad side effects considering our bodies and baby wouldn't be ready. So what ever was happening would be working against our bodies. I am also against any form of induction and I see what your saying. Its more the mindset and obviously going out of your way then the actual method but I don't think sex or walking would actually cause labor unless you completely sent your body into distress. Which isn't likely. I do think that the "I need this baby out soon" mindset could set you up for trying the more drastic methods though and I don't think we should encourage the seemingly innocent methods unless done for preporation rather then induction. Sorry. This was very long and probably not very clear.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile

This post has been locked, replies are no longer allowed.

Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)