Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Group B Strep WWYD?

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:46 AM
  • 12 Replies
I tested positive for group b strep at my last appointment. I am really upset that this will change my birthing plan. I was told I will have to go to the hospital as soon as I know I am in labor or if my water breaks so they can start IV antibiotics. I really wanted to stay at home as long as possible to help avoid hospital "routines" and my doctor was fine with that until now. What would you do to keep your birth as natural and safe for baby as possible? Or what did you do if you have gone through this before?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
outstandingLove
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:56 AM

I would still take my time getting to the hospital. I'm not sure if i'd even get the antibiotics because from what i've read, the chances of it transferring to baby are very small. But I also wouldn't want to be responsible for if it did ...so idk.

lundaylove
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:58 AM

well theres not much you can do now unless you want to stay home and just go in pushing and fight for them to not treat baby unless there is signs theres an issue....

but you could have researched this prior to testing and found out ways to prevent GBS or realize testing is crap cuz you can have it one day but the next not....so basically you can be positive now but not when you deliver. 

FrumpyMama
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:05 PM

It shouldn't change your birthing plan at all. You also don't need antibiotics. There is something called Hibaclense that can be mixed with water, sprayed to your perinieal area and it prevents infection to the baby. They have been using it in Europe and I used it when I had my dd at home last year.

I was on antibiotics with my ds and when I found out about this, I was actually furious that they don't do this over here in the states.

Mrs.Salz
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:12 PM

Let me look up some information for you.... but for now I'll say you can decline the antibiotics and/or ask for another test around 39-40 weeks, taking garlic, probiotics, and hibiclens to help get a negative result the second time around.

JoJoBean8
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:13 PM

How will they know you went into labor if you don't inform them? Labor at home as long as you can just like you planned.

lilmonkeysmum
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:21 PM
1 mom liked this
I treated my GBS with garlic, echinecea and probiotics.
I retested negative 2 wks later and didn't get the antibiotics.
I heard a faster method of treating GBS is inserting raw garlic vaginally or a tampon soaked in olive oil with a drop of tea tree oil overnight but luckily I didn't have to do that.
The pp is right. GBS comes and goes so I will not be testing for it next pregnancy. It just caused a whole lot of unnecessary stress!
Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
meggy88
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:22 PM
I have been putting garlic on everything and eating yogurt like crazy (I crave the texture :)). I will try the hibiclens. I was negative with my DD, so I thought extra garlic and yogurt would be enough to get another negative result. Guess not :( Thanks for your help.

Quoting Mrs.Salz:

Let me look up some information for you.... but for now I'll say you can decline the antibiotics and/or ask for another test around 39-40 weeks, taking garlic, probiotics, and hibiclens to help get a negative result the second time around.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Monadnockmama
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 3:04 PM

You should have every right to deny the antibiotics if that's what you wish. I am going to a freestanding birth center for this baby (due on the 29th!) and have tested gbs +. A nurse midwife from a local hospital will be there to administer the antibiotics and I'm supposed to use the hibaclens as a backup because my first DD was born in under 6 hrs and the antibiotics are supposed to be in your system 4hrs before the birth. I got the Hibaclens at a local pharmacy and have that all ready to go.

It's has definitely added more stress to this pregnancy because instead of just heading to the center when I'm in labor I have to contact the nurse midwife, do the hibaclens, get hooked up to the IV, blah blah blah. I also have to pay out of pocket because my stupid insurance doesn't cover where I'm giving birth and is giving me a tough time about covering the antibiotics and paying for the nurse midwife to be there.

meggy88
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 3:30 PM
I'm sorry you are under so much stress. I feel the same way. I already had enough stress and now I have to deal with this. After doing some reading, I am pretty sure I will go with my doctor's advice- get to the hospital early and start antibiotics. I wouldn't be able to forgive myself if something happened to my baby and I could have prevented it. DF said he will take down any nurse who tries to go against our birth plan- he is just as excited and determined to have a natural birth as I am. We just have to work on figuring out pain management in a hospital setting versus our home.
Still planning on getting and using the hibaclens too. Do you use it when you begin labor only or before also?

Quoting Monadnockmama:

You should have every right to deny the antibiotics if that's what you wish. I am going to a freestanding birth center for this baby (due on the 29th!) and have tested gbs +. A nurse midwife from a local hospital will be there to administer the antibiotics and I'm supposed to use the hibaclens as a backup because my first DD was born in under 6 hrs and the antibiotics are supposed to be in your system 4hrs before the birth. I got the Hibaclens at a local pharmacy and have that all ready to go.

It's has definitely added more stress to this pregnancy because instead of just heading to the center when I'm in labor I have to contact the nurse midwife, do the hibaclens, get hooked up to the IV, blah blah blah. I also have to pay out of pocket because my stupid insurance doesn't cover where I'm giving birth and is giving me a tough time about covering the antibiotics and paying for the nurse midwife to be there.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NDFanatik
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 5:15 PM
1 mom liked this

For my vaginal hospital birth I declined routine antibiotics for GBS UNLESS I went into labor before 37weeks, my water had been broken for 18+hrs, or if I started to develop a fever.  My OB supported me in this, knowing that I planned to labor at home for 90% of my labor.  At the hospital I signed an AMA form for antibiotics and nothing more was done except visual monitoring after my daughter was born. 

I didn't even bother with testing for my 2nd & 3rd pregnancies. 

There are things you can do to reduce the risk of you having it at the onset of labor.  Probiotics, garlic (both in your diet and as a vaginal suppository), & hibicleanse are 3 popular and effective ways. 

Amy Lynn, Loving wife, Mom to Christopher, Katherine, & Matthew, Natural Childbirth/VBAC & breastfeeding supporter & advocate.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)