Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ok mamas I need diet help for my 11 month old

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 4:26 PM
  • 51 Replies
My 11 month old nurses 5 or more times a day, once at wake up, 2-4 times during the day and once at bed time. He's a champion solids eater... 3 meals a day plus snacks...

The problem is for a week before his 9month check up he'd been really sick and wasn't eating or nursing and he lost a bunch of weight. Doc had us come back 2 weeks later for a weigh in... He'd gain more than 2 lbs in 2 weeks! (see? I said) but doc STILL wanted us to come back in a month (that was today)....

He's gained a pound since then (it's been a month) but he's still below his original weight curve. Doc wants us to put him on formula (in place of all the water he drinks). Clearly I'm not interested but I do want to see him gain a little bit...

He's a really good solids eater but I guess we need more liquid calories. What would you do? Cows milk? Almond milk? ...formula? =\

*edit*
If his growth doesn't pick up doc wants to do labs to test for metabolic issues, so I really want to see a gain!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 4:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lundaylove
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 4:29 PM
1 mom liked this

i would do nothing and tell you doctor to shove it.  2lbs in 2wks for an 11mo is amazing. Keep doing what you are doing. 

TrentsMom84
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 4:41 PM

Wow I thought my doc pushed the wieght checks lol.  My DS is 11 months and hasn't gained 2 pounds in probably 3 months.  If you want to offer more calories offer less water and more breastmilk but it sounds like he's doing fine :)

JazzysWifey
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 4:43 PM
How much does he weigh?

Quoting TrentsMom84:

Wow I thought my doc pushed the wieght checks lol.  My DS is 11 months and hasn't gained 2 pounds in probably 3 months.  If you want to offer more calories offer less water and more breastmilk but it sounds like he's doing fine :)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Baby_Avas_Momma
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 4:49 PM
1 mom liked this
Get a new doc. My dd was born @ 7lbs, was 17 lbs at her checkup when she was 2 days shy of 10 months. Guess how much she weighed last week? 17 lbs lol. Weight gain is very slow and almost non existant once babies become mobile. Starting solids is a HUGE reason for slow weight gain. Breastmilk has more fat and calories than solids AND formula. If you truly want your baby to gain more (which I see no reason for), decrease the amount of solids. And the whole curve on the charts is absolutely ridiculous!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
littlelambe2
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 4:49 PM

My dd gained 2 lbs between 9 months and 12 months. Her doc never once mentioned formula. It shouldn't just be about the weight.

Baby_Avas_Momma
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 4:50 PM
Oops, forgot to mention she's 13 months old and still weighs 17 lbs lol. If baby is meeting milestones, happy, and having good diapers, weight should be the last thing to be looked at!

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

Get a new doc. My dd was born @ 7lbs, was 17 lbs at her checkup when she was 2 days shy of 10 months. Guess how much she weighed last week? 17 lbs lol. Weight gain is very slow and almost non existant once babies become mobile. Starting solids is a HUGE reason for slow weight gain. Breastmilk has more fat and calories than solids AND formula. If you truly want your baby to gain more (which I see no reason for), decrease the amount of solids. And the whole curve on the charts is absolutely ridiculous!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JazzysWifey
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 5:00 PM
It's not about the number it's about his growth curve which does concern me a bit too since he lost so much (prior to the 2lb gain)

Quoting littlelambe2:

My dd gained 2 lbs between 9 months and 12 months. Her doc never once mentioned formula. It shouldn't just be about the weight.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
littlelambe2
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 5:16 PM

DD was born in the 5th percentile. By 6 months she was in the 12th. By a year she had fallen off the charts. A baby's health is more about the weight. And the growth chart isn't the greatest anyway. Check out this link: http://kellymom.com/health/growth/growthcharts/

An important thing to note:

The 1977 growth charts for babies under 2 years old were based on a study conducted in Ohio from 1929 to 1975. The babies in this study:

• were primarily fed formula or a combination of breastmilk and formula
  • often started solids before 4 months

As a result, the 1977 growth charts are not a reliable indicator of the growth of children who:

• are breastfed only
  • delay solids until around six months, as is now recommended by many health organizations
Quoting JazzysWifey:

It's not about the number it's about his growth curve which does concern me a bit too since he lost so much (prior to the 2lb gain)

Quoting littlelambe2:

lalaboosh
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 5:26 PM
If you aren't worried then don't change a thing. I rarely gave DD water at that age because she is so small. I still rarely give her water, lol. Instead I make a yummy tea like pumpkin spice or a nice chai and put almond and hemp milk in it. She LOVES her tea and it's all good calories. I go with unsweetened since almonds are so sweet. Sometimes I add coconut oil for fat. I hope you try it, it's really fun to make tea for babies!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Liebevoll_mami
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 5:29 PM
1 mom liked this

personally i wouldnt be worried about it. my daughter is 21 ish months and really hasnt gained weight in quite  a few months...she was sick for 3 or 4 weeks (a cold, pink eye and ear infection...it took a bit to recover) she's also pretty active and petite.

look at how active he is NOW compared to when he was 9 months. look at what he's eating (healthy food doesnt have a lot of calories. and formula has less calories then breastmilk) so if your worried cut out the extra snacks and make smaller meals and more nursing. or keep it all and push for more nursing. how much did he lose initially? how much has he gained back?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)