Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you hire a male doula?

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 5:09 PM
  • 42 Replies

I just found a website for a male doula.

What do you think? Would you be interested?

by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 5:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AmyG1976
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 5:10 PM

well I wouldnt want to be passed over just because I am a female. so if he met what I needed then yes I would at least talk to him and find out if he was the right doula for me

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity"   MLK
~A wife of 14 years to B mommy of 16 years to J, 11 year old D, 9 year old M, and our miracle baby born at 26 weeks J 5 years.           http://www.freewebs.com/sacredjourneys/index.htm

catholicmamamia
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 5:12 PM

No, I would not have a male doula. 

♥♥ Join us in  
Crunchy Moms  for sharing advice on breastfeeding, babywearing, 
        bedsharing, non-cio. gentle discipline, and natural foods, health, and cleaners! ♥

NDFanatik
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 5:36 PM

If we connected really well and I was comfortable, then yes. 

Amy Lynn, Loving wife, Mom to Christopher, Katherine, & Matthew, Natural Childbirth/VBAC & breastfeeding supporter & advocate.

rfurlongg
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 5:39 PM
No.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
luvlymum2
by Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 5:40 PM
1 mom liked this

Probably not. Part of what makes a doula a good doula to me is they have been through it before and know exactly what you are going through. Men can in no way ever know how that is. Also I think it would be really wierd for my husband if another male was rubbing and massaging me and making me feel better.

Lynette
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 5:45 PM
1 mom liked this

no.  But if I was a single mom that needed male energy to feel safe during my birth, than maybe. 

I did have a doula w/ my last birth and I loved her.  That male role was filled by my very supportive husband. 

TheHare
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 5:45 PM

If he's qualified. I certainly wouldn't turn him down for being male, especially since I prefer male ob/gyn's. He would have to stand up to all the same requirements the female doulas do: does he make me feel comfortable, is he willing to comply with my specifications for labor, is the price something I can manage, is he into the weirder birth theories, etc.

sreichelt26
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 5:51 PM

Quoting NDFanatik:

If we connected really well and I was comfortable, then yes. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
haleykj
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 5:53 PM

well you could say that Dh was my male doula! lol. but yeah i don't see why not! in fact there were certain parts of my labor where the strength of a man came in handy during contractions. i certainly wuodn't hire someone JUST because it was a man but if all the requirements wree met and we connected I most certainly would. The same is true for a female of course i wouldn't hire just ANY doula. 

Naegore
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 6:19 PM
No. For one, it would make dh uncomfortable, and two, I would draw more comfort from a woman.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)