Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Celiac testing for kids

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 5:45 PM
  • 8 Replies

Anyone had it done?  I want to have my son tested because we have a family history of it but what I'm finding online says that they need to be a certain age.

by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 5:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
rfurlongg
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 5:46 PM
My son was tested for various GI issues, celiac being one of them. He was 4 though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rosemary10
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 6:19 PM

Dr.Nyugen says that celiac disease symptoms can be confused with symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome, Inflammatory bowel disease, diverticulitis, GI infections.. heres some more information about it and maybe you can ask your question more directly

https://www.healthtap.com/user_questions/54709-how-do-i-get-tested-for-celiac

Godspitgrl
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 6:55 PM
We did it and my son was diagnosed at 18 months, the youngest they said they had ever had.
Godspitgrl
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 6:58 PM
He has the has the severe kind and his body was shutting down on him he had had 6 surgeries and in and out of the hospital. I finally got them to test for it (after much research online) after them saying there was no way he was to young but it was so blantently obvious in test that I think they learned something, lol. He had the blood and scope test
JoJoBean8
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:50 PM

My dd had the blood work but it was negative. I am taking her to a GI because she has symptoms and the blood work is known for false negatives.

TrentsMom84
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 1:32 AM

It can also have no symptoms.  He has been on a gluten free diet since day one.  I have family members that have Celiac and do not want to give him gluten until I know that he doesn't have it.  I wanted to know if someone had their child tested for it and at what age because online information states that they can't be tested before a certain age.  I'm assuming testing would also include exposing him to gluten prior to testing but if that needs to be done that's okay with me.

Quoting rosemary10:

Dr.Nyugen says that celiac disease symptoms can be confused with symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome, Inflammatory bowel disease, diverticulitis, GI infections.. heres some more information about it and maybe you can ask your question more directly

https://www.healthtap.com/user_questions/54709-how-do-i-get-tested-for-celiac

TrentsMom84
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 1:37 AM

Wow I'm so sorry your son had to go through that!  Good thing they figured out what was happening.  My son's only potential symptom is that he's on the small side but I also avoid gluten in my diet and he doesn't consume it either.  The thing that's becoming a pain as he gets older is restricting the foods other people give him-it seems like everyone thinks that the toddler diet consists of mac and cheese, quesadillas and grilled cheese. 

Quoting Godspitgrl:

We did it and my son was diagnosed at 18 months, the youngest they said they had ever had.

Char07
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 7:40 AM
Quoting TrentsMom84:

Yes they need to be exposed for at least a few weeks before the testing. We possibly suspect celiacs in my dd's and dh has similar issues so he is supposed to get tested sometime, I don't plan to test the girls until they are older, for now they are almost 2 and 3 and GF.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)