• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tell me about mastitis please

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 6:21 PM
  • 8 Replies
I woke up in the middle of the night because my right boob was so engorged and sore. Then I got super cold and shivering even all bundled up. I ended up getting up to pump, and that helped a little but not enough, and I got a little dizzy when I got up. Now I'm feeling a lot better, still a little sore but not bad.
So I've never dealt with mastitis or a clogged duct (are they the same thing?), so I'm wondering if that's what happened. How would I know?

I only ever get engorged on my right side, never on my left, so I'm also wondering if it was just a little more so than normal, but I've never gotten the chills or dizzies like that before.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 6:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Mrs.Salz
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 6:26 PM

http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mother/mastitis/

Mastitis is a clogged duct that gets infected (similar but not the same thing).

How are you feeling now? When I get mastitis, I feel like I have the flu and I am exhausted and can hardly get out of bed for the first day or two.

Mrs.Salz
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 6:30 PM

Ok I just read your post more carefully.

With a clogged duct, you can usually feel a hard lump where the milk is stuck and you'll usually have some pain in the area when nursing. Massage during nursing, hot showers, pumping, and lots of nursing will usually unclog it and you should feel relief.  If you're pumping you might see some thick milk "grains" from the clog (I never have).

If that gets infected, then it's mastits. You'll be feverish, tired, have chills, and your breast will have red streaks in addition to the lump. Nursing is really painful. For me mastitis lasts a few days.

If you're feeling better today I wonder if the chills, engorgement, etc. were just from postpartum hormones and maybe a need for more water.

2forKaty
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 6:35 PM
When I had mastitis I felt like I got hit by a Mack truck......I also had a fever of 103.5......I went to the Dr and got antibiotics and it went away pretty quickly but for the first few days I was soooo sore, not just my boob but my legs hurt soooo bad I couldn't get out of bed until my tylenol or ibprophan kicked it and dh had to get up every 4 hours to bring it to me cause my fever would come back too and I'd feel dizzy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 6:36 PM
Ok thank you! And thanks for the link (shared links are the only way I can access kellymom).
Now that you mention it, I just realized I've not taken my placenta pills in two days, so it could very well have been hormonal chaos.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JMmama
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 6:43 PM
If you crush a couple cloves of garlic and shoot them with some water a couple times a day that will help to clear up the mastitis. Tastes nasty but it works amazingly well.

Also, if you think you have mastitis, I was told NOT to take my placenta pills if I was sick or had any kind of infection, like mastitis. My encapsulation girl said it can make it worse.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Salz
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:12 PM

Yes to both!

No placenta if you have a fever.

Quoting JMmama:

If you crush a couple cloves of garlic and shoot them with some water a couple times a day that will help to clear up the mastitis. Tastes nasty but it works amazingly well.

Also, if you think you have mastitis, I was told NOT to take my placenta pills if I was sick or had any kind of infection, like mastitis. My encapsulation girl said it can make it worse.

H.I.S.
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:15 PM

I've dealt with both clogged ducts, and mastitis several times. Mastitis usually has flu-like symptoms along with the sore, red boob...Black elderberry syrup and lots of vitamin C has always cleared it up for me overnight.

Warm showers/washcloths, and nursing a lot on the side that is giving you grief will help in the mean time :)

JoJoBean8
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:35 PM

I have never dealt with either ( knock wood!) but I heard they aren't fun. I hope you are feeling better soon mama!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)