Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

my contractions started sometime in the middle of sunday night.  i had been having them for weeks so i wasnt sure if they were going to turn into anything or not but i told my husband before he left for work that he not to go out on any deliveries at work in case i needed him.  about an hour after he left i had a bloody show, i called my midwife just to let her know how i was feeling and we both agreed to wait a while and see how thing progressed.  i wanted to make sure my house got cleaned and i had food in the fridge so i spent the rest of the morning getting everything prepared "just in case" this was the real thing.  i also had to drop my son off with my sister since she was going up north for the day and wouldnt be around to take my son in case i needed her to. 

by 10 am i was having pretty regular contraction every 15 to 20 minutes or so but they were very manageable at that point and would just kind of come and go with no rhyme or reason.  i figured i should lay down and try to take a nap so i went home, finished cleaning and took a hot shower.  i laid down at 12pm and "tried" to nap and thats when i realized that my contractions were getting much stronger.  i was having them every 5 minutes or so and by 1pm i gave got up and decided to cal my midwife just to give her a heads up.  she asked me where my husband was and told me to call him and tell him to come home.  she wanted me to come over to her house as soon as i could (thats where we were planning the homebirth).  i called him and over the next hour my contraction went from every five minutes to every 1-3 minutes and were incredibly strong. 

once he finally got home we got into the car and a half hour later were at my midwives house.  she lives in a beaufitul country home tucked into the woods that her husband had built by hand surrounded by 5 acres of gardens.  it was warm and breezy out and all her spring flowers were in bloom.  we went in and my husband got to work setting up the birthing pool.  i got undressed into some comfy pajamas and walked around the house as i continued my labor.  after they got the pool set up she decided to check me.  i was at 5 centimeters and was making good progress.  the labor pain was intense but i was surprised that i was handling it so well.  it took them probably an hour to get the tub filled and ready and my midwife told me i could get in if i wanted to.  she checked me again and i was at 7-8 so i slipped into the tub.  the water was so warm and comforting.  i spent a solid ten minutes just relaxing while my husband massaged my neck and scalp. 

i started to transition at that point and my contractions were coming at me in waves.  i tried focusing on letting my body relax and float in the water and breathing through them.  it didnt take long before i felt the need to push.  she checked me one last time and told me i was at 9 and a half and to take it slow but to go ahead.  i got on my knees and leaned over the side of the tub grasping my husband waist.  i started pushing and felt my water finally break and within a minute the baby was crowning.  i reached down and caught the baby as he came out and handed him to my husband in front of me.  he was pink and gurgling and wiggling and my husband held him.  he had tears streaming down his face and kept telling me how beautiful he was.  my midwife and her assistant helped me stand up and step over the side of the tub as my husband carried the baby in front of me.  i laid down on the mattress next to the pool and my husband laid the baby onto my chest as i was covered in hot towels to keep us both warm.  it was so calm and peaceful as we both just laid there.  i can remember telling everyone i couldnt believe it was over.  we had only gotten there less than two hours before! 

after they let the cord stop pulsing and my husband cut it i repositioned the baby and within a minute he was latched and breastfeeding.  we laid there for a long time soaking each other in until i was ready to deliver the placenta.  once that was over with we rested while everyone else cleaned up the tub and birthing supplies.  at that point i had to go to the bathroom and i handed my son to my husband and we weighed him when i got back into the room.  he was 8 pounds ten ounces of pure joy!  he had not even cried yet...he was just so calm and relaxed it was hard to believe.  my husband, myself and the baby snuggled up together as my midwife cooked us dinner.  about an hour later we all sat around the table together and said a blessing.  we toasted our new child and ate a beautiful meal.  then we packed him up and were back home by 8pm.

he is a beautiful baby and his birth experience was not only amazing but was also very redeeeming for me.  i am so lucky to have had that experience and will forever be greatful to him for helping me gain so much confidence in my mind and body :)

by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 10:23 AM
Replies (11-17):
Brandy85412
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 8:33 PM
A www great story! Congratulations! Love home birth stories! Thank you for shareing!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cpflum08
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 8:39 PM
Congrats! Wonderful birth story:)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Naegore
by Bronze Member on Apr. 27, 2012 at 8:48 PM

Quoting FebPenguins:

congratulations

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bbmkfo03
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 12:06 AM

Congrats!! What a beautiful story and a beautiful picture!

EthansMomma2010
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 12:41 AM

what a beautiful birth story. Thank you so much for sharing such a personal moment with us. And congrats!!!

peaches_04
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 1:22 AM
How beautiful!
Congratulations
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jules_
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 10:24 PM
This was such a beautiful birthstory. It made me cry. What a miracle!!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)