Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

is it just me?

Posted by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 11:04 PM
  • 41 Replies
I'm sure I'm not going to say this the right way lol...

But I LOVE spending time with my daughter. Sure, it's nice to shower alone or have a solid hour where no one is touching me/needs anything. But I'm with her pretty much 24/7 (we even cosleep) and I don't get sick of being with her. We play, read, snuggle, go on errands or for walks...

Dh and I even go on a date once a month or so for a few hours, and we have tons of fun, but I'm always excited to get home and kiss her. And he's the same - he's working on starting his own company so he can be home with us.

But it doesn't seem that way with any of our friends. They're always talking about wanting a break from their kids or how much they need a vacation or weekend away without their kid (some even do on a regular basis - leave their kid with their parents and go out of town for a concert or hotel stay). How we need to plan more nights where the kids go to a sitters so we can have adult time (we all get together once a week with dh's and kids).

I know they love their kids, it just feels like they're more of a nuisance to them. When they fuss, they just put a paci in their mouth. They put them in their bouncy seats or entertainers so they can socialize or do something else. They sleep train them so they can get them to sleep through the night as young as possible. They complain when they're exploring and getting into stuff, but they don't get on the floor and play with them.

I just don't get it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 11:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Yuriko_chan
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 11:07 PM
I go both ways... Through phases I suppose. I love being with my kids but sometimes I do feel like I need a break. Even if that break is having Hubby watch them while I go upstairs for fifteen minutes, ya know? When I'm away from them, I miss them so much and I'm always checking my phone to make sure they're okay. Lol I love my babies:)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sreichelt26
by Bronze Member on Apr. 26, 2012 at 11:17 PM
I'm the same way. I definitely need little breaks. But the thought of just being away overnight when she's little little freaks me out. I couldn't be away from her that long (she's 1) and all our kids are under 3. And they've been doing overnight/weekends away since their kids were 1 or younger.

Even when I had to go back to work for a week, they told me, "oh, you'll be fine. After the first day, you'll be looking forward to being around adults and having a break." Ya, no. I couldn't wait to get back home to her.

Maybe if it was just a few people, I'd chalk it up to personality. But they're ALL like this. Like 10 other couples.

Quoting Yuriko_chan:

I go both ways... Through phases I suppose. I love being with my kids but sometimes I do feel like I need a break. Even if that break is having Hubby watch them while I go upstairs for fifteen minutes, ya know? When I'm away from them, I miss them so much and I'm always checking my phone to make sure they're okay. Lol I love my babies:)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Yuriko_chan
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 11:25 PM
Oh over night?! Heck no! Lol!! When my husband and I got married, we left our two year old with my parents for three days. That just about killed me.

Quoting sreichelt26:

I'm the same way. I definitely need little breaks. But the thought of just being away overnight when she's little little freaks me out. I couldn't be away from her that long (she's 1) and all our kids are under 3. And they've been doing overnight/weekends away since their kids were 1 or younger.

Even when I had to go back to work for a week, they told me, "oh, you'll be fine. After the first day, you'll be looking forward to being around adults and having a break." Ya, no. I couldn't wait to get back home to her.

Maybe if it was just a few people, I'd chalk it up to personality. But they're ALL like this. Like 10 other couples.

Quoting Yuriko_chan:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
VintageWife
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 11:28 PM
1 mom liked this

Maybe I'm the horrible mom in here, but I love going to the grocery and stuff alone. I've actually had a couple times where I got away for 5 hrs with no kids and loved it.

VintageWife
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 11:29 PM

But I need to point out that my oldest is ADHD/ODD/etc and then I have onery child number 2 and nurses 24/7 number 3.

Yuriko_chan
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 11:32 PM
Not horrible mom! I like doing those things alone too. But I think op is talking more about leaving over night and just having nothing to do with kids during the day like play time and stuff. Idk if that makes sense.

Quoting VintageWife:

Maybe I'm the horrible mom in here, but I love going to the grocery and stuff alone. I've actually had a couple times where I got away for 5 hrs with no kids and loved it.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
haleykj
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 11:40 PM
I'm def more like you. And I feel the same about some of my friends and their kids. My girl is just a baby but I know that's not why. I think its just because of a different mineshaft and parenting style. I never get sick of her even when I do have a moment alone. When I'm doing homework and she just wants to play, I stop doing it to pla wither ven if it means rushing thru it later and I have never left her yet (almost 7 months) except one night for a couple hours. And I was worried about her the whole time the. SO excited to go home n see her. My friends want me to wean her and sleeptrain her just to stay out
all night And party this summer and I don't get that. Why? Sometimes it can be hard to not have a social life but that has nothing to do with her so in that respect I would like a break(like having friends over once in a while or something WITH the kids). Anyway. I've been thinking about this a lot lately. My DD is so calm n quiet and happy all the time it seems others' kids are loud and unhappy and screaming all the time. (hats exaggerated but u know what I mean).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
haleykj
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 11:46 PM
For me, I think there's a difference between limit to do something alone(shower, shop, etc) and wanting a break. I think there are also people, GOOD parents who just need more adult interaction than others. I LOVED teaching prek. But with 10-20 little kids all day, it gets lonely. You'd think you would want no interaction with all those people but the are just not the same a's adults. So I'd get lonely. But even that's not the same a's wanting a break from them (which many days I REALLY did just want to be away from them lol). Teaching is a weird example BC they're not you're kids but I hope that makes sense. I'm sure everyone is different. Sometimes when DD isn't in he car with me which is rare I am really excited cuz I get to blast my radio and just drive enjoy the sun whatever. It is nice.

Quoting VintageWife:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sreichelt26
by Bronze Member on Apr. 26, 2012 at 11:47 PM
Not horrible mom :) I would need a break too! And everyone does.

Like Yuriko said, I'm talking about frequent overnights, or even frequent "getting away from the kids" time. And when they ARE with their kids, it's more like they're supervising.

Quoting VintageWife:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lynette
by Bronze Member on Apr. 26, 2012 at 11:51 PM

OP I am so with you on this!

Lynette-Homeschooling SAHM  of 4.  Living in WI. 

Come join me in LDS Homeschoolers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)