Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Have you ever asked your Grandmother about how/where she was born and how she gave birth to her children?

I was talking to my Grandmother about my home birth and asked her about her birth experiences. With all but her last chid (who was born 20 years after) she was "knocked out for the birth" and she said it was very creep to be pregnant and then wake up and your baby was there. She said she was born at her Aunts house after her mother gave birth to her older sister at a hospital and hated it.

by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 8:54 AM
Replies (11-20):
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Apr. 27, 2012 at 11:42 AM

I know all my grandmas kids were born at the hospital, a military marine/navy hospital.

I know when my oldest uncle was born my grandfather was not in the room for sure.  They came out and told him that his son was deformed and that they were taking him away to be cared for elsewhere.  They told my grandmother that my uncle had a cleft lip and palette and a "hole in his face" and that he would not be able to eat do not to get attached to him he would die.  They tried to take him away, out of the room and she went nuts as they did this.  After an hour my grandfather was allowed to come in and he asked if she had even SEEn her baby...she had not.  SO my grandpa went and got him...he was perfect, NOTHING wrong with im.  Turns out a couple was trying to adopt him, they had already told my grandma to sign papers giving him up. 

After my moms birth they forgot to take out the "packing guaze" they put inside her to stithc up her episiotomy and she went into toxic shock a week later.  The hospital would not listen to her or even examine her so her father came to NC from michigan got her and drove her to michigan to see a doctor HE knew, he saved her life.  She almost died.

Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Apr. 27, 2012 at 11:55 AM
2 moms liked this

My grandma had 19 children, most at home.

TwoSugars
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 12:10 PM
My grandma had 6 kids including two sets of twins. She never talks about the first three pregnancies except about getting her first xray with the third because the doctor suspected more twins but the last she does talk about.

They lived in rural Iowa when her water broke early. About 30 weeks i think. Her doctor told her they could wait and he'd try his best but couldn't promise the baby would be ok because their hospital couldn't handle preemies or they could go to Des Moines and that hospital could have a chance a saving the baby. This was back when they let you have SROM until you showed signs of infection. Labor never started and a week later grandma had serious signs of infection so off to Des Moines they went. Grandma had an emergency c-section and total hysterectomy because of how quickly the infection spread (i don't think they had running water at the time to clean with, they were very poor).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
louzannalady
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 12:45 PM
2 moms liked this

I lived with my grandmother, to help her out, when I was pregnant with DS. She was born at home. She birthed in hospital in the 1950's. She kept saying she didn't understand why I was going to a hospital thirty minutes away when there was one less than five miles from us (I wanted a hospital that was more natural birth friendly). She didn't understand what this "birth plan" was about. She would chide me and tell me, "When I was having babies, it wasn't that big of a deal. My husband dropped me off on his way to work and picked me up the next day! It can't have changed THAT much!" I kept trying to explain to her that they won't just "let" me birth, that they will want to interfer and it will be difficult to be left alone to do my thing. But, she would roll her eyes and not understand. She was there for the labor and was in the hall when I delivered (my aunt and DH were with me). Afterward, (I went 56 hours!) she came and gave me a hug and apoligized and said it really HAD changed and she could not believe how much it had all changed and now she understands why I was geared up for a fight and why I had chosen the hospital I did. : ) That made me feel a little better. 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

LondonsMomma84
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 1:52 PM
My grandma had five babies. MOst were born in the hospital, I think one or two were twilight births. One or two were born at home delivered by my grandpa who is a doctor.

My mom had all four of us in the hospital and all four labors were 6 hours or less from water breaking and first contraction to delivery. All natural except my middle brother were was delivered with forceps due to a decelerating heart rate.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Raeann11
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 2:40 PM

Have no clue, never knew her and she never talked to my mother about it. She told her it was not proper to talk about that.

VintageWife
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 2:59 PM
My g'ma had 6 out of 7 while under twilight sleep :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tansyflower
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 3:15 PM

my grandma had some good and some bad birth experiences.  her first was good (no drugs) her second they tried pushing the baby back in because "the doctor wasnt there yet" and at one point the nurse climbed on top of her and pinned her legs shut, the next birth she lied to the nurse and told her to get her a glass of water and once she was out of the room she birthed my uncle unassisted, the next birth went relativly normal and her last two were induced because she had that rh factor and they were very sick.  her very last baby had to have blood transfusions for over two weeks.

had she not had the rh factor she would have birthed all her babies at home.  she also breastfed each baby for at least 2-3 years and tandum nusred many times :)

cherrynarissa
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 3:42 PM

my grandmother from my birth father's side was she was probably born at home because she was a mountain folk and her ethnicity.  but she had i know from birth certificates a few of her 9 or 10 children in the hospital it seems she hid she was half chickamauga cherokee on the certificates  my birth mother's mother most likely had a home birth in the rainforest like most chorti mayan women.

EthansMomma2010
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 4:27 PM

i hope i get the chance to ask my grandmother (my dad's mom, definately not my stiff upper lip moms mom) about her births next time we go home. she is an amazing woman and i'm sure her birth stories would be amazing too. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN