Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

How long do you nurse your child til?  What does society say is "normal" and what is your normal? 

Is breastfeeding allowed anywhere in public in the US or only in certain places? I will NEVER nurse in a bathroom, I will go out to my car if someone suggests that to me. 

I will EBF and let my baby or child decide when they are done. 

I understand that I appear stupid, but there is so much conflicting information that I want to know what is what.

by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 3:47 PM
Replies (11-19):
sjk_maybe_mom
by Bronze Member on Apr. 27, 2012 at 7:28 PM

DD is 3 and 8 mos...still nurses at night and would at nap too if I let her.  I'm trying to gently wean her, as I'm really really tired of it.  Our goal is to be done by her birthday in August.  DS is 11 mos. and will go as long as he needs to as well...assuming I don't get to the touched out point with him too.  I would say nothing less than 2 years for him.

melindabelcher
by mel on Apr. 27, 2012 at 8:46 PM

Quoting krazykiddles:

How long do you nurse your child til?  What does society say is "normal" and what is your normal? 

Currently nursing my 29month and 1 month old. Sometimes i feel like BF isn't even the norm anymore i feel like formula is more the norm unfortunately. My norm is no less then 2 years  

Is breastfeeding allowed anywhere in public in the US or only in certain places? I will NEVER nurse in a bathroom, I will go out to my car if someone suggests that to me. 

Any where mom is allowed to be the breastfeeding child is allowed to be and nurse. I was going to bring my older one to the bar with me for pizza and wing night but i was to tired lolz. Good for you for not wanting to feed your baby in a bathroom! I wounldn't eat my food in there i don't expect my kids to

I will EBF and let my baby or child decide when they are done. 

I think this way is the best way :)

I understand that I appear stupid, but there is so much conflicting information that I want to know what is what.

Definetly not stupid! :)

JazzysWifey
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 9:15 PM
Personally as long as I make it to 12 months I don't stress. That doesn't mean I wean or stop offering it but my 1st goal is 1 year, after that whatever baby wants.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jules_
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 10:13 PM
Mine have all self-weaned just shortly after turning 2.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jconney80
by Group Mod on Apr. 28, 2012 at 11:59 PM
I nurse in public anywhere and any time. I don't cover up. I nurse in a carrier typically so you really can't see much but I don't go out of my way to hide. I will never go outside or anywhere to nurse.

I will nurse my kids until they self wean. My son is 26 months. My daughter is 7 months. They are still going strong!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jconney80
by Group Mod on Apr. 28, 2012 at 11:59 PM
I nurse in public anywhere and any time. I don't cover up. I nurse in a carrier typically so you really can't see much but I don't go out of my way to hide. I will never go outside or anywhere to nurse.

I will nurse my kids until they self wean. My son is 26 months. My daughter is 7 months. They are still going strong!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
VintageWife
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 12:01 AM

My first weaned at 13 mo.

Second weaned at 3 1/2.

Third is almost 22 mo and still going.

VintageWife
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 12:02 AM

I nurse anywhere. I don't cover up and I won't be made to leave or cover up. You can nurse discreetly without a cover and sometimes the cover makes more of a scene then just slightly lifting and latching the baby.

louzannalady
by Silver Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 12:51 AM

I nursed my child until 13.5 months, but he self weaned, because he hated the change in my milk from my pregnancy. I have no "normal", really. I have a friend who nursed until four. That is the longest. Most friends who nurse, usually stop around a year or by two years. There are a few states that still have not exempted NIP from indency laws. : *( I know, Idaho is one of them, as of last year. But, more states are creating more liberal laws, saying that moms can legally nurse anywhere baby and mom are allowed to be. I did nurse in a bathroom once or twice, to appease my husband, but will NEVER do that again. He was new Dad and nervous. But, I just did some practice nursing sessions in the living room in front of him and once he realized I was not immodest in anyway, he got over it. : ) He was not raised around it and also, is very goal oriented and he felt it took too long. Now, he realizes it's quicker than going and heating a bottle of pumped milk and stopping and feeding a baby that bottle. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)