Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Breastfeeding to Self Weaning

Posted by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 3:47 PM
  • 19 Replies

How long do you nurse your child til?  What does society say is "normal" and what is your normal? 

Is breastfeeding allowed anywhere in public in the US or only in certain places? I will NEVER nurse in a bathroom, I will go out to my car if someone suggests that to me. 

I will EBF and let my baby or child decide when they are done. 

I understand that I appear stupid, but there is so much conflicting information that I want to know what is what.

by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 3:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mommyagainyay
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 3:56 PM
1 mom liked this
Well there is a movement to allow women to breastfeed in public. But it truely your choice.

Some pedi say to breast feed till two years. But honestly you can do it until your little one decides to self wean. And as long as your okay with breast feeding led by your child then by all means do it. It's your child and your body.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
krazykiddles
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 4:04 PM

I want to be able to feed my baby whenever they are hungry, we don't deny ourselves food so why would I do that to my baby.  breastfeeding

TrentsMom84
by Silver Member on Apr. 27, 2012 at 4:44 PM

How long do you nurse your child til?  What does society say is "normal" and what is your normal? 

I'm at 11 months and still bfing.  I plan to nurse for a while yet.  I'm not sure that society has a timeline-everyone has their own opinions.  Docs now say that babies should get only breastmilk until 6 months, mostly breastmilk until 1 and continue after that until it's no longer enjoyable.

Is breastfeeding allowed anywhere in public in the US or only in certain places? I will NEVER nurse in a bathroom, I will go out to my car if someone suggests that to me. 

Anywhere a baby can be a mom can nurse.  I"m a very modest person but I've nursed with a cover, in a baby carrier, in my car, in a booth at a restaurant and in corners of museums-most people won't notice and even fewer will say something to you.  Do whatever feels comfortable for you and baby. 

I will EBF and let my baby or child decide when they are done. 

:)

jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Apr. 27, 2012 at 5:22 PM
Isis self weaned at 3 1/2. Hera is three weeks and will also self wean.

The recommended MINIMUM by WHO and other organizations is two years. That's minimum, not cut off!!

Bfing is allowed in public. There are state laws, you can look yours up. In AZ, for example, breastfeeding is allowed and therefore legally protected in any place a mother and child are otherwise allowed to be.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
krazykiddles
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 5:33 PM

You ladies are awesome! I will look into the laws in Kansas.  I have never felt judged for asking the silly questions. 

peanut06
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 6:27 PM

My first nursling, I didn't get to self-wean because I felt pressured to stop nursing her when I was pregnant with her brother, so we only made 16 months. Her brother, he's somewhere in the weaning process right now, as he's almost 21 months and hasn't asked to nurse in 5 days now (I'm 15 weeks pregnant, so my supply is almost gone; I stopped feeling letdown 3 weeks ago, weird after OAL problems for most of my nursing time!). Even though he seems to have stopped before 2 years and I'm mourning the end of that special relationship, I'm still satisfied that it was his choice.  With my soon-to-be nursling, I plan to even more closely monitor my fertility so that we can time the next pregnancy so that I get the baby to at least 2 years of breastfeeding.

On the legal front, I got a wallet card from my WIC breastfeeding peer counselor that states Kentucky's breastfeeding laws--that I may breastfeed (and express breastmilk) in public anywhere the baby and I are otherwise authorized to be, and that I am exempt from public indecency laws as well.

Happy momma and natural birth, homeschooling, and ERF advocate!
Raeann11
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 6:31 PM

My first weaned at 13 months, second at 14 months and third 15 months.

You can breastfeed anywere you want to.

justone_jen
by Bronze Member on Apr. 27, 2012 at 6:53 PM
I live in Missouri, but I work in Kansas, so I've looked up the law in both, and you can NIP in Kansas. :)

Quoting krazykiddles:

You ladies are awesome! I will look into the laws in Kansas.  I have never felt judged for asking the silly questions. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MaryJarrett
by Silver Member on Apr. 27, 2012 at 7:00 PM
How long do you nurse your child til?
My personal minimum is 3. Idk how long I'd go. My first weaned at 3 yrs, 5 months. My second is still nursing at 2 yrs.

What does society say is "normal" and what is your normal?
society's normal is very low. Here is the cdc's average for each state:
http://www.cdc.gov/breastfeeding/data/reportcard.htm
I think that'll give you a better idea of "normal" in your area.
My normal would be anything. I tend to agree with kathy dettwyler. Here's her article:
http://www.kathydettwyler.org/detwean.html

Is breastfeeding allowed anywhere in public in the US or only in certain places?
Yes. Anywhere you and your baby are allowed to be you can nurse there.

I'm sure a lot of that's repeats though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
justone_jen
by Bronze Member on Apr. 27, 2012 at 7:04 PM
http://m.ncsl.org/issues-research/health/breastfeeding-state-laws.aspx
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN