Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

vanishing twin syndrome question

Posted by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 10:48 AM
  • 26 Replies

This may be totally out there but I am so frustrated trying to find information online only to keep reading the same basic facts and told to see a doctor over and over and over, so...

Has anyone had what they thought was a miscarriage, complete with heavy bleeding etc., only to find out later it was a vanishing twin and you were still pregnant? Is this even possible? I can't find any information about how much bleeding "typically" accompanies a vanishing twin.

by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 10:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BridgetMc
by Bronze Member on Apr. 28, 2012 at 10:55 AM
I haven't but know a woman who did. She thought she had miscarried but she only lost one twin. I don't know much else about that but here's a bump. Hopefully someone will have a good link for you.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
illegallyblonde
by Stephany on Apr. 28, 2012 at 11:00 AM
I watched a documentary that mentioned this. Do you have Netflix? I think it was called twin birth.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sreichelt26
by Bronze Member on Apr. 28, 2012 at 11:10 AM
Someone on CM posted about this happening to her a few weeks ago I think. Totally possible.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
VintageWife
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 11:10 AM

This happens more often than thought I think.

winterglow
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 11:13 AM

There is no typical with vanishing twin syndrome. In many cases there are no signs whatsoever. The twin is absorbed back into your body - no blood, no mess, nothing, not even cramps.

It is an extremely common occurrence that has only really come to light in these days of early ultrasounds. They reckon that at least 1 in 12 pregnancies start off as twins...

maggiandmike
by Member on Apr. 28, 2012 at 11:22 AM

My mw lost a twin early in pregnancy not too long ago. She ended up losing both babies though. The first at 7w and the second at 18. It's not vanishing if there's an actual loss.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Apr. 28, 2012 at 11:38 AM
My friend was pregnant at triplets at six weeks, only twins by 12 weeks. She bled annd thought she lost them all.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FrumpyMama
by Silver Member on Apr. 28, 2012 at 12:07 PM

Yes it is possible and it has happened loads of times.  It's weird blip. There is also another strange thing I've found through my mom who is a geneologist. Stone Babies.  They found this out when they have to move cemetaries. They were finding these small stones with what looked like a fossilized baby, it turns out they were miscarriages that didn't eject completely and the baby calcified in the uterus, also causing sterility in the woman. Apparently it stil happens.

LilynAustin
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 2:18 PM

my mom had that happen to her.  She went to the doctor and they told her she had miscarried.  5 months later she gave birth to my oldest brother.

lovelimadness
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 10:04 PM
After reading this, i'm pretty sure this is what happened to my daughters twin. I found out I was pregnant on Thursday, started bleeding on Sunday and continued light bleeding off and on for a week. They found a second sac at 6 weeks and told me I had a miscarriage with one twin but was still carrying the other. She's a little over a year old now but I have been looking for answers since the loss and this is the first i've heard of this.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)