Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

vanishing twin syndrome question

Posted by   + Show Post

This may be totally out there but I am so frustrated trying to find information online only to keep reading the same basic facts and told to see a doctor over and over and over, so...

Has anyone had what they thought was a miscarriage, complete with heavy bleeding etc., only to find out later it was a vanishing twin and you were still pregnant? Is this even possible? I can't find any information about how much bleeding "typically" accompanies a vanishing twin.

by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 10:48 AM
Replies (21-26):
VintageWife
by on May. 7, 2012 at 11:06 PM

Can you believe humans are treated this way. I don't understand people that think fetuses aren't people. 

Quoting jconney80:

:'( I agree

Quoting VintageWife:

Quoting mymommy31:

It happened to me....I miscarried my daughters twin at 4 months....it had quit growing around 2 1/2 months...the nurse just came in and picked up my baby and chunked it in the trash....I am blessed my daughter was still alive and was born 3 1/2 weeks early

What?!? That makes me cry. I would have went off and demanded handing it over for proper treatment. No matter the size, it deserved to be blessed and buried :(

Mommy2Phenley
by on May. 7, 2012 at 11:38 PM

We've wondered if I had a vanishing twin with this pregnancy. My symptoms hit hard and early (8dpo), I also started growing early and fast. I have two nurse relatives and both were positive I was pg with twins from my symptoms, one of them has twins herself. Then one day my symptoms suddenly went down dramatically. Enough that I was slightly concerned. Then my u/s showed just one. Everyone was completely shocked that there was only one. That was at about 8 weeks. We wonder if there weren't two to start with and the other didn't make it long and was absorbed before my u/s. :( I've always wanted twins.

I've heard many stories of the later ones, too. It's completely possible.

jillj501
by on May. 8, 2012 at 2:30 AM
My current twin pregnancy started as a triplet pregnancy. I lost the third by 9 weeks. I never had any symptoms of the loss though.
Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on May. 8, 2012 at 9:01 AM

This happened to my mom.  She said they did an early ultrasound and the sac's didn't look the right shape.  To rest and come back in a week.  She said she was so sad all week thinking she would loose both but when she went back in she saw one with a strong heartbeat and the other one was gone.  She didn't say she bled at all.

Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on May. 8, 2012 at 9:01 AM

We always say that was our brother because my mom had 3 girls.

H.I.S.
by on May. 26, 2012 at 12:47 AM

BUMP!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)