Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

The Safe Motherhood Quilt-Making it's Rounds

Posted by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 11:31 AM
  • 10 Replies

If you are nearby, Stop By! 

Safe Motherhood Quilt Project at Capitol Rotunda, Harrisburg, PA

Event Details

Safe Motherhood Quilt Project at Capitol Rotunda, Harrisburg, PA

Time: May 11, 2012 from 9am to 3pm
City/Town: Harrisburg
Website or Map: http://maps.google.com/maps/place?q=Capitol+Building,+Harrisburg,+PA&hl=en&cid=5057127101461742821
Event Type: rally, fundraiser
Organized By: Lexi Abeln
Latest Activity: on Sunday

Event Description

Safe Motherhood Quilt Project Display and Rally

HARRISBURG (April 17, 2012) - The Safe Motherhood Quilt Project will be on display on Friday, May 11th, from 9a.m. to 3p.m., with a press conference starting at 11a.m., in the Capitol Rotunda, Harrisburg. Internationally renowned midwife, author, and creator of The Safe Motherhood Quilt Project, Ina May Gaskin, will be speaking. Amnesty International, the Greater Harrisburg Area Birth Circle, the International Cesarean Awareness Network (ICAN Harrisburg), and other organizations will be represented.

The Safe Motherhood Quilt Project is a national initiative honoring women who have died of pregnancy-related causes since 1982. The quilt project draws public attention to the United States' rising maternal death rates, as well as the gross underreporting of maternal deaths.

The United States ranks behind at least 39 other nations in maternal mortality rates according to a recent study published in The Lancet. In 2008, the United States reported 17 maternal deaths per 100,000 live births, up from 7.5 per 100,000 in 1982.

African American women in the United States have 4 times the risk of dying from childbirth or childbirth related complications. Hispanic women in the United States, similarly, are 1.6 times more likely than non-Hispanic white women to die from pregnancy-related causes.

Following the display, the quilt will be moved to Dixon University on Front Street in Harrisburg from 5pm-9pm, for a fundraising cocktail reception, with noted speakers, book signing with Ina May Gaskin, musical entertainment, and silent auction. The Greater Harrisburg Area Birth Circle will be presenting a Safe Motherhood Award to a local and national mothers' advocate.

by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 11:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mrs.Salz
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 1:11 PM

I've seen this. Very cool and sobering.

VintageWife
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 3:06 PM

Nowhere near there :(

FebPenguins
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 4:28 PM

Sounds really special.

I would like to know why more "colored" (the article said black and hispanic) women die of childbirth complications than white women? Is it education, genes/DNA, lack of care from their medical staff?

JazzysWifey
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 9:03 PM

interesting! i've never heard of this... wish i was closer

FrumpyMama
by Silver Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 6:46 PM

I have a cousin who is mixed and she has SERIOUS HBP, it's still high even after having her baby. I think that may be a contributor too.

Quoting FebPenguins:

Sounds really special.

I would like to know why more "colored" (the article said black and hispanic) women die of childbirth complications than white women? Is it education, genes/DNA, lack of care from their medical staff?

Juniper53098
by June on May. 6, 2012 at 4:23 PM
1 mom liked this

Sad to say, but I think it's because a higher percentage of medicaid patients are black or hispanic.  I know that in some areas, medicaid patients don't get as high quality of care.  Many of them also don't do their homework and allow for unnecessary interventions.  This is JMO.  I know there are many women on state aid in this group.  But, you also do your homeowork and are able to fight for yourselves.

Quoting FebPenguins:

Sounds really special.

peaches_04
by Platinum Member on May. 6, 2012 at 5:02 PM
Sad:(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
melindabelcher
by mel on May. 6, 2012 at 5:45 PM
poverty is higher among racial groups. Less quality medical care, less finances for healthy living, less funds for a assisted home birth. Etc. not that these are all the contributing factors but I know here in ma since of the hospitals with the higher c section rates are in poorer areas.

Quoting FebPenguins:

Sounds really special.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
catholicmamamia
by on May. 6, 2012 at 6:03 PM

This is such a good cause.. BUMP! 

♥♥ Join us in  
Crunchy Moms  and share advice on breastfeeding, babywearing, 
        bedsharing, non-cio. gentle discipline, and natural foods, health, and cleaners! ♥

jconney80
by Group Mod on May. 6, 2012 at 11:31 PM

Quoting JazzysWifey:

interesting! i've never heard of this... wish i was closer

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)