Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Baby Care...random questions.

Posted by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 8:43 PM
  • 40 Replies

With my dd I didnt know anything different than what my mom showed me, so I bathed DD in J&J soap & then rubbed her down with J&J lotion..

So Im curious..

What do you bath your babies in (0-6mo)?

Do you put any type of lotion on them?

Do you regularly put anything on them during diaper changes?

(and exactly where do you buy said product?)

Is it coconut butter that helps remove meconium poops easier? I want to pack some in my birthing bag- but cant remember if this is the right thing or not!

by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 8:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
midjet117
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 8:55 PM
i just did baby shampoo. They say only bathe a baby once a week so it doesnt lose all the oils. Yes lotion, any kind, does help get rid of poop stuck on the skin but should not be a prob if the baby isnt left to sit in it for hrs allowing it to cake onto the skin. J&j or baby magic are the BEST LOTIONS EVER!!! Normally i only put diaper rash cream on my daughter when she breaks out. If your baby breaks out in a rash that does not go away with diaper rash cream and normal bathing it is probably a yeast rash. This is not uncommon. Anti fungal cream works wonders!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lynette
by Bronze Member on Apr. 28, 2012 at 9:03 PM
1 mom liked this

in the early days water or California Baby Super Sensitive Baby Wash/Shampoo.  I buy that at Target.  For lotion I use virgin coconut oil.  For diaper cream I have used different things.  Coconut oil, Weleda diaper cream, Burts Bee's Diaper cream, etc.  I have bought those at the grocery store natural foods section, natural foods store, and even Target.

Lynette
by Bronze Member on Apr. 28, 2012 at 9:04 PM

oh and my midwife recommended olive oil for getting meconium off.

krazykiddles
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 9:10 PM

Are you cloth diapering or using disposables?  Using coconut oils can void warranties on some cloth diapers.  I love California Baby.

2forKaty
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 9:21 PM
I'm using California baby and burts bees once we get home :o)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
melindabelcher
by mel on Apr. 28, 2012 at 9:39 PM
I used johnson with my last two and baby magic with my newest. I would have liked to get california baby but hubby and me both lost our jobs so had to cut back ALOT!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jconney80
by Group Mod on Apr. 28, 2012 at 9:51 PM

Quoting MommaTasha1003:

With my dd I didnt know anything different than what my mom showed me, so I bathed DD in J&J soap & then rubbed her down with J&J lotion..

So Im curious..

What do you bath your babies in (0-6mo)? Peter Rabbit body wash/shampoo all in one for babies at Whole Foods...its only sold there. California Baby is good too.

Do you put any type of lotion on them? Only somethine organic like California Baby and only if necessary. Target, Whole Foods, & other health markets sell this

Do you regularly put anything on them during diaper changes? No not unless they have a rash. My kids never have rashes in cloth diapers so I've never needed anything! But there are organic creams. I just don't know of any. I know people use coconut oil & breastmilk.

Is it coconut butter that helps remove meconium poops easier? I want to pack some in my birthing bag- but cant remember if this is the right thing or not!  I'm not sure about this!

hriabywx4
by Bronze Member on Apr. 28, 2012 at 10:26 PM
I use coconut or almond oil for "lotion". Coconut oil and a bare butt for any diaper rash. Mostly i just put him in water for cleaning. I did pick up some Just Hatched baby wash and shampoo at walmart, i use it occasionally cause i like the smell. It is sulfate/paraben/phthalate free but other than that not terriblely natural. I only bathe him every 6-7 days. He's almost 6 months
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NDFanatik
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 3:28 AM
Water with castile soap foerbaths(dr bronners ftw)
Coconut oil in place of lotion
Nothing for diaper changes unless a rash and then I use breastmilk, coconut oil, or california baby cream.
I get all of my stuff at Target or local health food store.

Quoting MommaTasha1003:

So Im curious..

What do you bath your babies in (0-6mo)?

Do you put any type of lotion on them?

Do you regularly put anything on them during diaper changes?

Is it coconut butter that helps remove meconium poops easier? I want to pack some in my birthing bag- but cant remember if this is the right thing or not!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NDFanatik
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 3:32 AM
Any natural oil is good for meconium. Olive after all diaper changes helps it slide right off. I used my perineal massage oil since I didn't use it for the birth- worked great.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)