Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

She has food allergies too :(

Posted by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 9:42 PM
  • 12 Replies

Gracie (just turned 7 months) also has food allergies. Last week I ate something with a little bit of egg & milk in it (bad mommy but it's been 17 months!). Gracie broke out with very noticeable eczema all over her back. So we went to the pedi & they did a blood allergy test. It came back positive to wheat, cashews, and almonds. I know it's also eggs or milk. It just showed up as a false negative. I already had a feeling she did because her poop is just not normal for an EBF baby. She still hasn't had any solids yet.

My 2 yr old has severe-life threatening food allergies. So, it's not a huge shock to us & not as severe of a life changing thing. But it still stinks. It's tough worrying about babies/toddlers putting stuff in their mouths when they don' t know better. You have to be extra careful about everything they are doing at all times everywhere you go. It affects your life more than you would ever realize.

Oh yeah....and the pedi told me "oh that little bit wouldn't cause a reaction like this in her! There is no way that could be the problem." They didn't want me to test her & wanted to just wait. I told them there is no reason to waste time. If she has life threatening allergies we need to know because she's going to be mobile soon. Plus that little bit was obviously enough to do that....I know better...I have been through this before!! LOL crazy drs!

I tried my hardest to do everything right to prevent it! But I guess it was going to happen anyways :(

by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 9:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
midjet117
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 10:02 PM
wow that sux. I hear the body completely changes every 7 yrs or so, so maybe shell grow out of it. Good luck.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cartersmom101
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 10:53 PM
Blood allergy tests are highly inaccurate. Do skin tests when she's older.
rfurlongg
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 11:02 PM
I agree. Also allergies can change over time. My son was 1st tested at 10mo, then re-tested at 2, then again at four. Some allergies stated the same and some moved from a level 4 to a level 2. Good luck mama!

Quoting Cartersmom101:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jconney80
by Group Mod on Apr. 28, 2012 at 11:12 PM
Oh I know... My son was first tested at 10 months. He has anaphylaxis. He is severely allergic to eggs, seafood, and nuts. He's also allergic to milk and sweet potatoes. He can't even be in a place that is frying fish. It swells his eyes up and he was covered in hives and welts.

His first blood test showed he wasn't allergic to milk but he is very and his skin test said he was allergic to chicken but isn't! Its crazy!

However, I do know she has allergies. I've suspected it. She started having thick, pasty, stinky poop and she has never had food at all. She has also had eczema since birth.

Hopefully it wont be too bad! I do hope they outgrow them. So far my son is 26 months and they haven't gotten better yet.

Quoting rfurlongg:

I agree. Also allergies can change over time. My son was 1st tested at 10mo, then re-tested at 2, then again at four. Some allergies stated the same and some moved from a level 4 to a level 2. Good luck mama!

Quoting Cartersmom101:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jconney80
by Group Mod on Apr. 28, 2012 at 11:16 PM
They are! I got a referral to an allergist so I'm sure thats the next step! Skin testing isn't even very accurate but its better than nothing!

Quoting Cartersmom101:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
metallicagurl84
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 11:18 PM
You're in my thoughts. I was worried about my children & peanuts because one of my triplet cousins has to carry an eppie pen for it. I can't imagine being a mother of children with several life threatening allergies! I'd be terrified.
BB
Fey
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jconney80
by Group Mod on Apr. 28, 2012 at 11:32 PM
Thank you =) Yes its scary. You have to avoid going to a lot of places too. Once we found peanuts on an indoor soccer field! My son ate something as a very young toddler and had an anaphylactic reaction. We had to give him the Epipen because his breathing was labored. So we can't really do many playgroups etc. You have to watch them every second if you do. Its crazy. My daughter got a hive on her face after my hubby kissed her after eating and my son is the same way with seafood. My mom kissed him once after eating fish and he broke out in hives all over his face. IM glad you escaped it!

Quoting metallicagurl84:

You're in my thoughts. I was worried about my children & peanuts because one of my triplet cousins has to carry an eppie pen for it. I can't imagine being a mother of children with several life threatening allergies! I'd be terrified.

BB

Fey
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
metallicagurl84
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 1:58 AM
I could only imagine. >_<
I have anxiety & am empathetic, so I am very glad my children don't have to go through it. It would drive my crazy of constant worry & absolutely kill me inside if anything did happen. I guarantee I would find some way to blame myself & that would make me feel even worse. >_<
You must be a very strong woman to handle something like that I imagine. ^_^
BB
Fey

Quoting jconney80:

Thank you =) Yes its scary. You have to avoid going to a lot of places too. Once we found peanuts on an indoor soccer field! My son ate something as a very young toddler and had an anaphylactic reaction. We had to give him the Epipen because his breathing was labored. So we can't really do many playgroups etc. You have to watch them every second if you do. Its crazy. My daughter got a hive on her face after my hubby kissed her after eating and my son is the same way with seafood. My mom kissed him once after eating fish and he broke out in hives all over his face. IM glad you escaped it!

Quoting metallicagurl84:

BB

Fey
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
catholicmamamia
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 4:27 AM

hugs 

♥♥ Join us in  
Crunchy Moms  and share advice on breastfeeding, babywearing, 
        bedsharing, non-cio. gentle discipline, and natural foods, health, and cleaners! ♥

gemini53176
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 4:36 AM
my daughter is highly allergic to bees. we have to carry an epi pen it makes me so nervous when shes outside during the summer. i am so nervous about having to use the epi pen. i feel like getting rid of all of the flowers in the yard this summer just so ill have less to worry about. poor kid doesnt even want to play outside at all in fear that she will get the allergic reaction again!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN