Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Sleep question

Posted by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 10:44 PM
  • 6 Replies

DD just turned 2 months yesterday and is already sleeping through the night. Is that normal for a breastfed baby? I had assumed I'd be nursing 2-3 times a night for a few months, at least. Not that I'm complaining, I'm just wondering if it's normal! She nurses approximately every 2 hours during the day (unless she takes a long nap) and then sleeps for an average of 6 hours at night. At first, I thought it was just because she was going through a growth spurt, but it's been several days now. 

CafeMom Tickers
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 10:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
JazzysWifey
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 10:45 PM
1 mom liked this
It can happen. Both my kids are/were exclusively bf for AT LEAST 5 months and my daughter started sleeping thru at 8 weeks. My son took a lot longer ... A LOT longer, haha
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cartersmom101
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 10:50 PM
1 mom liked this
My baby girl is EBF and 7 weeks old. She slept thru the night last night! Fingers crossred for a repeat tonight. She's already 12 lbs I think the size helps.
jconney80
by Group Mod on Apr. 28, 2012 at 11:19 PM
It can be normal! Every kid is different! I've never had a BF baby sleep through the night that early. Hope it sticks!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Liebevoll_mami
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 11:26 PM

my daughter was born 7 lbs 5.5 oz. i dont remember a lot of our 4 day hospital stay but neither of us slept well (who the frick could. we were both getting stuck constantly) as soon as we got home she slept from 9-3 but most of the time it was 9pm-5. then again sleeping from when she woke up to nurse to about 9am. 

my family has a history of breastfed babies sleeping through the night asap. it can be normal. but it doesnt happen very often.

TrentsMom84
by Silver Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 12:40 AM

Mine did that from 2 months until about 4 months.  Then he went back to 1-2 hour stretches but he would go back to sleep easier.  Just go with the flow and enjoy your good night's rest :)

mjrex87
by Mindy on Apr. 29, 2012 at 3:36 PM

I hope so too! Guess I need to prepare for an early return from AF, but I'll take that if it means more sleep!

Quoting jconney80:

It can be normal! Every kid is different! I've never had a BF baby sleep through the night that early. Hope it sticks!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)