Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Anyone make their own clothing?

Posted by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 12:10 PM
  • 8 Replies

So I posted in the craft forum as well, but I was hoping someone in here might be familiar with making their own clothes and dealing with the patterns.

I've done it before and the sewing isn't too hard, but I've always worked off of bought patterns which were pre sized. I got this pattern recently from Modern Sewing for a dress, but the pdf is fitted to regular sized printer paper. I can print it bigger but I don't know how to do it so that the pattern is appropriately sized without a scale on the page. Has anyone has any experience wit doing this?

Here's the link: http://m-sewing.com/public/pdfs/M-5522_Dress_with_lay-down_collar.pdf

by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 12:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
EthansMomma2010
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 5:04 PM

no idea. here's a bump for ya. i only do straight stitch patterns from a book so far. 

lalaboosh
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 9:47 PM

I'm not a sewer, so I wouldn't know how to help you... but I do plan on making my wedding dress! (Ok, cutting the pieces and having my future aunt in law sew it!) The pattern is super easy and the dress is insanely amazing. Every person who enjoys wearing dresses should own one of these. http://sewlikemymom.com/little-red-infinity-dress-tutorial/

TheHare
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 2:14 PM

That is insanely awesome!

Quoting lalaboosh:

I'm not a sewer, so I wouldn't know how to help you... but I do plan on making my wedding dress! (Ok, cutting the pieces and having my future aunt in law sew it!) The pattern is super easy and the dress is insanely amazing. Every person who enjoys wearing dresses should own one of these. http://sewlikemymom.com/little-red-infinity-dress-tutorial/

JazzysWifey
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 2:25 PM
Does the site say how big the dress is supposed to be? I mean I think you could create your own "scale" if you know how long the dress is supposed to be
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TheHare
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 2:31 PM

It cames in sizes Small, Medium, and Large so not exactly specific (luckily I've worked enough of these to be able to alter if it's slightly off, and it's not a tragedy if it's majorly off). I found a pdf tiling website though and that took care of it. The pattern ended up taking up my whole kitchen floor!

Quoting JazzysWifey:

Does the site say how big the dress is supposed to be? I mean I think you could create your own "scale" if you know how long the dress is supposed to be

Mommyagainyay
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 2:32 PM
I heard you can email it to kinkos and print it there to get it the size you need. I read that for a patteren I was looking at. It's not too expensive either. Good luck
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mellissa1990
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 2:55 PM

You can find lots of old patterns in second-hand stores for around $0.50.

JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on May. 3, 2012 at 12:54 PM

I don't even know how to turn on my sewing machine!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN