Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Can you freeze bananas and other fruits?

Posted by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 1:33 PM
  • 3 Replies

so I'm pregnant and I know that I need to eat more fresh fruits and veggies. I love fresh stuff so that's all well and good but I just can't eat it fast enough before it goes bad. 

and here in south Georgia right now we've been in spring since the end of Jaunary so flies are at their high right now, inside and out and I HATE THEM. I bought some bananas thursday and here it is sunday and they are totally ruined. Even though I put them in the fridge (it doesn;t stay cool. it came with our rental home so not much we can do about it) but we do have a freezer our parents got us for christmas. Can I freeze my fresh fruits? how? 

by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 1:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
hriabywx4
by Bronze Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 1:42 PM
I know alot of them you can. Strawberries, blueberries, pineapple. Bananas should do ok. I mashed them and froze them in small portions for my last LO. They do turn a funky brownish color but taste like banana when thawed. Try it with a couple and see. Apples i cook down to apple sauce in my crockpot.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jillj501
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 1:43 PM
I always slice my bananas and put them in a container in the freezer as they start to brown. I then can use them in smoothies and stuff later. I've done the same with blueberries. The texture will never be the same once they've been frozen though.
jellybeans5
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 1:50 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes you can. :-)

I haven't done fresh, but I buy frozen fruit at the grocery store in the freezer section all the time. I love to use the frozen fruits to make smoothies, it's really good.

I also freeze fresh bananas. I buy them, peel them stick them in a freezer bag and just stick'em in the freezer. They are wonderful eaten frozen. When you take one out of the freezer put magic shell on it then eat.

Frozen bananas also work good in smoothies.

If you can defrost frozen fruit in the microwave to for about 10 seconds, then add to yogurt or cereal. Frozen fruit is great warmed up in oatmeal.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)