Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Natural birth friend hospitals/OBs

Posted by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 12:23 PM
  • 133 Replies
2 moms liked this

Please tell is where (city/state), what hospital or what OB(or both), and what the positives are about these places.(no pressure, baby friendly status, no formula giftbags, no IV required, water birth allowed, etc etc) This post will be edited as replies are added.

Arizona

Boojum ob/gyn-Chandler, AZ

drkells.com-Chandler, AZ

Chandler Regional-Chandler, AZ

Mercy Gilbert hospital- Chandler- AZ

California

Kaiser-Roseville, Antioch, and Walnut Creek, CA

Illinois

Rush Copley Medical Center-Aurora, IL

Louisiana

Willis-Knighton South, Shreveport, Louisiana

Massachusetts

Cambridge hospital-Cambridge, MA

Minnesota

St. Joseph's Hospital-St.Paul, Minnesota

Nebraska

niversity of Nebraska medical center-Omaha, Nebraska

New Hampshire

Caring Partners (Dr. Mueller)-Rochester NH

Frisbie Memorial Hospital-Rochester NH

Nevada

Dr. Steven Harter (delivers at Summerlin and Centennial Hills hospitals) Reno-Nevada

Mike O'Callaghan hospital on Nellis AFB- Las Vegas, NV

Texas

Sid Peterson Regional Medical Center-Kerrville, TX

Washington

St. Joseph's Hospital-Bellingham, Washinton

Dr. Frederick J. Gunningham- Bellingham, Washington

by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 12:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jnttd
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 12:37 PM
I haven't given birth in our local hospital, but I took classes there.

They encourage moving around during labor and laboring in the shower with your partner. They don't allow actual water birth. They do offer birthing bars and balls for different laboring and birthing positions. They also keep baby in room as much as possible. It's a small hospital but is well staffed and the rooms are huge and cozy. They usually have about two patients in the maternity ward most days. The local OB practice has two midwives and two OBs who deliver at this hospital.

That's all I really know about them. It's not perfect but that's a HUGE improvement from the hospital I had my first child in.

This is Sid Peterson Regional Medical Center in Kerrville, TX. About 45 minutes outside of San Antonio.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sreichelt26
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 12:38 PM
I'm in Roseville, Ca and we use Kaiser. I delivered at the Roseville hospital, but from my own research, all the Kaiser hospitals in the Sacramento area are on the same page. The Sacramento one has a birthing tub and Roseville is supposed to get one soon.

Very bf friendly - they promote it heavily and immediate skin to skin for an hour after delivery is standard practice. In the event of c-section (I had an emergency c), baby does skin to skin with dad until mom's in recovery. They don't give bottles/pacis unless you request it, and they prefer not to.

They have a growing CNM program. I met with my midwife for all prenatal care, and even with my complications in labor, the attending OB waited until the last possible moment while the midwife tried to do what she could to allow for a vaginal delivery.

They are very respectful of your birth plan, again, barring any complications - but they discuss everything with you. The only people I ever struggled with during my labor and stay were nurses, and it was maybe 2 or 3 out of 8. If you're firm, they'll comply.

You're free to move, change positions, walk, and get in the shower during labor.

And the rooms are HUGE. During our tour, we fit 30+ people in the birthing room. Recovery room is smaller, but can still comfortably fit about 10 people. No set visiting hours, so anyone can come whenever, as long as you give permission, and there's high security (they have to get a photo id badge and be buzzed through the security door).

I think that's it...ask me q if I left anything out. But to sum it up, they themselves say that they will give you the birth you want. If you don't want any help/intervention and just want a place to push out a baby, you get it. But if you want the works with all the drugs and a typical hospital birth, you get that too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 1:03 PM
1 mom liked this
Chandler, AZ
Boojum ob/gyn
drkells.com
Deliver at both Chandler Regional and Mercy Gilbert hospitals.

An ob w/ very natural minded CNMs, the ob only comes to deliveries where there are complications, and is also very natural minded.

Water labors at MG.
Standard practice includes: kangaroo care, delayed clamping, no hep lock unless gbs +, moving and birthing in any position, allowed to eat. They even have recommendations for a placenta encapsulation lady. They are very hands off at delivery as well.
They do not push cervical exams during pregnancy or labor.

Seriously, this was like having a hb in a hospital.

The staff at MG is also very respectful of natural minded mamas. All my requests were respected from no shots, no bath, no pacis, to dietary restrictions. Very breast feeding friendly, and has a LC on staff.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sunshine_246
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 1:10 PM
I don't have as much experience but I second Boojum and Mercy Gilbert.
I went to 42 weeks with my first and they did ask to do u/s and nst but were just fine with waiting as long as I wanted to without talk of induction at all.

Quoting jellyphish:

Chandler, AZ

Boojum ob/gyn

drkells.com

Deliver at both Chandler Regional and Mercy Gilbert hospitals.

An ob w/ very natural minded CNMs, the ob only comes to deliveries where there are complications, and is also very natural minded.

Water labors at MG.

Standard practice includes: kangaroo care, delayed clamping, no hep lock unless gbs +, moving and birthing in any position, allowed to eat. They even have recommendations for a placenta encapsulation lady. They are very hands off at delivery as well.

They do not push cervical exams during pregnancy or labor.

Seriously, this was like having a hb in a hospital.

The staff at MG is also very respectful of natural minded mamas. All my requests were respected from no shots, no bath, no pacis, to dietary restrictions. Very breast feeding friendly, and has a LC on staff.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MILFInProgress
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 1:16 PM

My first St Marys Hospital, Reno Nevada

Would not let me walk around, my first nurse was extremely mean and had me crying, she kept calling me a liar and say I was making up my contractions cause the fetal moniter was not picking them up. Turns out the fetal moniter was on backwards. It was better once the nurses changed although I was almost set up for a c-section cause her heartbeat would drop randomly for an hour, then it was time to push thank goodness. Overall it wasn't the worst experiance but I wasn't all rainbows and sunshine when I left either.

For this pregnancy it will be at home. From what my midwife says I will be in 100% control. She will just sit and observe and let me direct what I want, when I want it. Here is where I will slip in some advice for those wanting a home birth. Make sure your midwife fits your birthing prefrence. I am the type who wants everyone to leave me alone, therefore my super relaxed midwife is the best fit for me. So far I am loving this experience. Since I am a couple days shy of 37 weeks I will update on the full experince after labor day. My midwife is Margie Decko and she is located in Las Vegas Nevada but I know she has assisted a birth in Surprise Arizona also.

TrentsMom84
by Silver Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 1:56 PM

Las Vegas, NV.  Dr. Steven Harter (delivers at Summerlin and Centennial Hills hospitals). 

One of 2 Dr. in town who will attend VBACs, will agree to nearly anything on birth plan, does not pressure for c-section, is backup OB for nearly every midwife in town, placenta encapsulating friendly.  Dealing with nurses at both hospitals can be difficult so use only if homebirth is not possible.

Baby_Avas_Momma
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 2:40 PM
OB - Caring Partners (I had Dr. Mueller)
Located at Frisbie Memorial Hospital in Rochester NH.
At your first appointment they give you a handmade folder filled with pamphlets on healthy eating, meds, breastfeeding, smoking and drinking, list if all the dr.s and their info, and a really nice little magazine that shows you the growth and developement of your baby month by month. Very laid back. The only tests they really want you to do is glucose test for GD, but if you refuse they get over it lol. Very informative, pro breastfeeding, no formula samples or pamphlets provided. My cervix was checked once and that was almost a week after my due date. She made it very clear that she wanted my body to go into labor naturally, so induction wasn't up for discussion unless I were to pass 2 weeks over due.
Hospital - Frisbie Memorial Hospital in Rochester NH.
Labor and delivery is it's own floor, recently built. It's very clean, homey, pretty, comforting. The nurses are very sweet and kind and all seem up to date with information. Birthing rooms are HUGE. Couches and recliners in every room as well as flatscreen Tv on the wall. Every birthing room had a huge birthing tub, very nice and clean, and also big medicine ball. They don't push epi's, won't even mention one if you don't mention it first. I was severely dehydrated when I arrived there, so an iv was a must for me. I was attached to the fetal monitor, but was given the option to get up and do whatever if I wanted. Unfortunately before I could do anything her heartrate dropped and then stopped so I ended up with emergency c-section (my ob also delivered her). She required extra oxygen after birth, but once that was finished she was brought to me and was immediately put on my chest skin to skin and my nurse helped her latch. Recovery rooms are gorgeous also, pretty much same as birthing rooms except for the tub lol. Baby roomed with me the whole 4 days, nurses kept their distance and only took her out a couple times but brought her back right away. Even the head pedi there would come to my room to check her instead of taking her away. Formula was never mentioned. At discharge we were sent home with a cute tote bag full of a huge box of breastpads, cooling gel pads, a bunch of lanolin packets, and pamphlets on breastfeeding.
Sorry it was so long, I really loved them there lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BlessedWithLife
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 3:07 PM

Quoting sreichelt26:

I'm in Roseville, Ca and we use Kaiser. I delivered at the Roseville hospital, but from my own research, all the Kaiser hospitals in the Sacramento area are on the same page. The Sacramento one has a birthing tub and Roseville is supposed to get one soon.

Very bf friendly - they promote it heavily and immediate skin to skin for an hour after delivery is standard practice. In the event of c-section (I had an emergency c), baby does skin to skin with dad until mom's in recovery. They don't give bottles/pacis unless you request it, and they prefer not to.

They have a growing CNM program. I met with my midwife for all prenatal care, and even with my complications in labor, the attending OB waited until the last possible moment while the midwife tried to do what she could to allow for a vaginal delivery.

They are very respectful of your birth plan, again, barring any complications - but they discuss everything with you. The only people I ever struggled with during my labor and stay were nurses, and it was maybe 2 or 3 out of 8. If you're firm, they'll comply.

You're free to move, change positions, walk, and get in the shower during labor.

And the rooms are HUGE. During our tour, we fit 30+ people in the birthing room. Recovery room is smaller, but can still comfortably fit about 10 people. No set visiting hours, so anyone can come whenever, as long as you give permission, and there's high security (they have to get a photo id badge and be buzzed through the security door).

I think that's it...ask me q if I left anything out. But to sum it up, they themselves say that they will give you the birth you want. If you don't want any help/intervention and just want a place to push out a baby, you get it. But if you want the works with all the drugs and a typical hospital birth, you get that too.

The Kaiser hospitals in Antioch and Walnut Creek are like that also. 

Dameron hospital in Stockton is horrible. 

louzannalady
by Silver Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 3:12 PM

Willis-Knighton South

http://www.wkhs.com/locations/South.aspx

I am including my information not because I received excellent care, but because I received as good care as I could expect for the area I was in. There were no midwives practicing home births in the area at the time. Do NOT birth at Willis-Knighton in Bossier City. I have heard horror stories from a lot of my family. Many of my family have literally almost died there, while giving birth or while being born in Bossier. Also, if baby has complications, they will be taken to Willis-Knighton South's NICU anyway, since Bossier doesn't have the facilates.

My particulars. I was seen by Dr. Kinder. He was very nice and is very hands off on labor. A midwife recommended him, from Center, TX and had heard good things of him and Dr. Ware. All well and good. Only, when I was in labor, he was in California. I ended up with the doctor on call. Dr. Pineda. More on him throughout my story. My family freaked out because my water was leaking, so I gave in and went in at a one. The nurses all raised eyebrows when I show up with a birth plan. When I told them I wanted only a heplock and no IV drip, the nurse asked me, "How do you know what a Heplock is?" and looked at me like I had three heads. The whole time, I was walking and during periodic doppler monitoring (that they are very clear is not convenient for them) I can hear them in the nurses' station talking about, "Do you see her walking around? I don't know WHY she's DOING this to HERSELF?!" I asked to be moved to a different room, so I could get some sleep, since I was in inactive labor and they were using jack hammers (NOT JOKING!) outside my window to dig up the parking lot. They laughed at me, rolled their eyes and mocked me, "Well, wouldn't THAT me nice?!" I wanted to take a shower, since there was a stall shower in my room and no tub. I had to argue with them, to get a bench, so I could sit during contractions. No food at all. They watched me like a hawk when family brought food in my room. They did give me chocolate milk every two hours and were clear that they "normally" don't "allow" this. After 24 hours of labor, Dr. Pineda came in my room and told it was time to us an internal monitor. I declined. He then told me that I really needed to consider the epi, because if I did not WHEN he had to do a c-section, they would just knock me out. Then, he took it upon himself to go out in the hall and scare the heck out of my aunts, telling them that he is worried for the safety of my son, since I am declining this much needed monitor. Fortunately, the bright spot was an ANGEL named Theresa! She got the aunts out of my room and kept them from buzzing around me and explained that doppler monitoring is safe and that DS was enduring labor well and reassured them. Thank goodness for her! After 45 hours of no sleep, no food, no pit, lots of walking, lots of stress, I stalled at a seven and I got an epi. I slept. Then, when I woke up, I had to deal with Dr. Pineda- again. He lectured me about how I would be in stirrups for sure and that I WOULD be getting an episiotomy. I let him know that if he had cut me, I would return the favor. I can only say, that man was on my LAST nerve and that he is LUCKY I was unable to walk! That man ran out of my room! About 54 hours in, a nurse told me I was at a ten and got me set up to push. about five minutes of that, my Angel-nurse Theresa was finally on duty and checked me. After that nurse left for the day, she got me out of stirrups and explained DS was not fully engaged and I was not ready to push. She set me up in a squatting kind of position on the bed (bed broke in half, with the second half lowered down) supported by the bed table. I had been in labor 56 hours, I was ready to push. The epi had worn off and I felt the ring of fire and everything. The angel-nurse Theresa gently used oil to stretch me, while I was in stirrups (too tired to fight anymore on anything). DS was born happy and healthy, APGAR score of nine, at 7 pounds 14 ounces, 19.5 inches long, at 9:57 AM, Sunday, Jan 16, 2011. Side note: Theresa told me Dr. Pineda always brushed her to the side as soon as he walked in the room and had never let her work with a mom, before with stretching. He actually stood and watched her work with me. She joked that she did not know what I said to him, but I must have made one heck of an impression! : )

Oh, PPD care. The nurses took about 20 minutes to come when I called. They also gave me attitude for rooming in. The LC never told me I had flat nipples and only came to work with DS once he was already screaming from being hungry. She did not have the right sized shield and her parting words were, "Just keeping pumping, it will work itself out, eventually." I had to figure out the shield for my self (figured it was better than pumping 24/7!). I got my own shield and had DS weaned off it in a month and half. : )

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

haleykj
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 3:24 PM
I far birth in Omaha Nebraska at university of Nebraska medical center. (Since then theyve opened a birth center about 20 minutes from UNMC). I used the team of midwives ( Rebecca Was the one on call on that day she was great I also loved Kate). No IV(per my request though) Delayed cord clamping, baby was given directly to me, my husband delivered rebecca just watch and told him what to do:), they technically aren't allowed to let you birth IN the jacuzzi but they turn a blind eye "we can't FORCE you to get out" I believe was what she said in an appointment, allowed movement, never once offered pain management(except the next day they offered ibuprofen which I declined). No mention of pitocin. No monitors. No hep b or vit k for baby (per my request) used only my cloth diapers (per my request as suggested by a mw) I didn't know about delayed bathing dh gave her a bath right away but I'm sure you can request that not be done too. Hhmm I can't remember anything else ATM.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN