Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Natural birth friend hospitals/OBs

Posted by   + Show Post

Please tell is where (city/state), what hospital or what OB(or both), and what the positives are about these places.(no pressure, baby friendly status, no formula giftbags, no IV required, water birth allowed, etc etc) This post will be edited as replies are added.

Arizona

Boojum ob/gyn-Chandler, AZ

drkells.com-Chandler, AZ

Chandler Regional-Chandler, AZ

Mercy Gilbert hospital- Chandler- AZ

California

Kaiser-Roseville, Antioch, and Walnut Creek, CA

Illinois

Rush Copley Medical Center-Aurora, IL

Louisiana

Willis-Knighton South, Shreveport, Louisiana

Massachusetts

Cambridge hospital-Cambridge, MA

Minnesota

St. Joseph's Hospital-St.Paul, Minnesota

Nebraska

niversity of Nebraska medical center-Omaha, Nebraska

New Hampshire

Caring Partners (Dr. Mueller)-Rochester NH

Frisbie Memorial Hospital-Rochester NH

Nevada

Dr. Steven Harter (delivers at Summerlin and Centennial Hills hospitals) Reno-Nevada

Mike O'Callaghan hospital on Nellis AFB- Las Vegas, NV

Texas

Sid Peterson Regional Medical Center-Kerrville, TX

Washington

St. Joseph's Hospital-Bellingham, Washinton

Dr. Frederick J. Gunningham- Bellingham, Washington

by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 12:23 PM
Replies (21-30):
EthansMomma2010
by on May. 1, 2012 at 11:18 AM

forgot i was supposed to add why. no inductions allowed before 41 weeks unless absolutely necessary, will fight for you wishes (i.e. bringing your birthing tub), gives perineal massage to avoid tearing, promotes breastfeeding as long as you want. The only thing you will have to fight him on is vaccines. Everything else is perfect. 

JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on May. 2, 2012 at 1:20 PM

Wish I could add to this list!

wonderwoman9821
by on May. 2, 2012 at 11:02 PM
Sacred Heart Medical Center at Riverbend - Eugene, OR

Childbirth class was centered around natural birth.

L&D rooms are equipped with jacuzzis and birthing balls. You are encouraged to bring anything from home you want to make yourself comfortable. Nurses follow birth plans and don't push epidurals.

Right after delivery my baby was placed on my chest and the nurses helped me to BF right away. I was asked before any shots were given.

Baby never left my arms during recovery except for diaper changes. No formula was ever offered. Nurses were great at helping with latch.

Someone in another group had their baby in the NICU at the same hospital and it was given donor milk, no formula.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NDFanatik
by on May. 3, 2012 at 5:09 PM

Dr Henry and Dr Jones at Grace Women's Clinic- Attend births at Baptist in Little Rock, AR.

They are super VBAC friendly (esp Henry who worked on a VBAC study in college), are okay with no VE's, no IV's, testing is optional (although Henry likes testing for those with family history of diabetes), were willing to have me to go up to and past 43+wks with no pressure of induction, supportive of homebirths- they are my mw's backups.  The hospital doesn't "allow" water births, but they unofficially support them, lol.  They are very good about respecting women's choices- all you have to do is say "I do/n't want this" and they will be super amazing and work with you :)

H.I.S.
by on May. 3, 2012 at 10:17 PM

BUMP!

marriagecoach
by on May. 5, 2012 at 12:12 PM

CALIFORNIA

Loma Linda University Medical Center

Dr. Teresa Avents is the best I have ever worked with in support of natural birth.

thundersky
by on May. 5, 2012 at 1:16 PM

memorial hospital Modesto CA

dr. Henry Modesto CA

this is where i gave bith to my DD they didnt push any thing on me except the IV but i didnt know all my options. they are pretty baby frendly. they have a lactation consultant that comes to your room to help you BF. they allow room in. 

also dr henry is a good dr and natral minded. only thing is the wait to bee seen can be really long after lunch. so get in early in the day so you dont wait 2hr.

hapababies
by Silver Member on May. 5, 2012 at 11:37 PM
Sagua Managu Birthing Center
Tamuning, Guam
I had my first son here and it is a very natural birth friendly. There are 2 different kind of rooms to birth in- one has a queen sized bed and the other has the typical hospital bed. When you check in, you can choose which room you want if it's available. The rooms are nice sized. You have your own room that has a lot of natural light Baby never leaves the room for anything. If your baby needs a test, such as a blood draw or hearing test, the nurses or lab techs come to your baby. You are not tied down to any machines, the nurses do periodic monitoring with your permission. I don't remember ever getting checked to see how dialated I was. There is no limit to how many people you want to visit or come watch you give birth(a nurse told me that she witnessed a birth with 20 family members). I had an iv due to needing antibiotics, but that is not a standard procedure. The nurses will not ask if you need pain meds, and since it is a free standing birthing center the most you can ask for are Tylenol or staydol. Our parting presents were a wipes container and shirt with the logo on them. I think you have to stay ar least 24 hours or until your pediatrician discharges the baby (whichever comes first).
Cons: although you do have your own bathroom with a tub, it is a standard home type tub. It did its job for me with labor, but I don't know how it would be to birth in it.
It is a teaching institution so student nurses can come in to watch you give birth. For example, I was in the tub for the last 45 minutes of labor. When I came out to deliver the baby, there was a group of about 10 nurses there for the "show". It felt invasive but I did know ahead of time that it was a possibility of students coming in.
There is no kitchen so plan ahead who is bringing you all your meals or pack what you need.
Overall it was a positive experience. I would give birth there again if I could.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hapababies
by Silver Member on May. 6, 2012 at 12:08 AM
Pocono Medical Center
East Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania

This is where I gave birth to my second son.
This hospital is stuck in the 1960-1980's way of thinking for giving birth. There is the labor room, the birth room, and post partum room. No tub of any kind in the birthing room, but there is a shower. Babies are taken to a nursery for everything. There are 2 beds to a postpartum room so it's a distinct possibility that you can be rooming with another mom, her newborn and SO.
Now that all the cons are out of the way- here are the positives.
First was the nurses that took care of me. They tried their best to give me the best birth experience as possible, knowing I wanted to be as natural as possible. When I was post partum and my son's bilirubin shot up, they did everything in their power to keep my baby and me together.
I had a high risk pregnancy with a very real chance of a bad ending. So I was hooked up to a machine for baby monitoring for the entire labor. It didn't stop me from being out of bed. I was on the birthing ball for most of my labor. My doctor, Dr. Foster, doesn't believe in episiotomy so she oredered a perinium massage so I wouldn't tear. I don't know if I would have torn without it, but it was an easy recovery without any tearing. I was allowed to drink throughout labor. I ate beforehand, plus my labors are a little too fast and intense to enjoy a meal. After my son was born, he was placed on my chest, and he was nursing within 5-10 minutes. My postpartum nurse allowed me to walk to my post partum room when I refused that ridiculous wheelchair. The food was probably one of the best things about having to get stuck in the hospital for 48 hours. You get to pick out what you want from a menu and your SO gets to choose their breakfast for free of they stay the night with you.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CjEmmemommy
by on May. 6, 2012 at 12:15 AM
Harris Methodist Hospital in Fort Worth Texas.
My midwives and birth photographer have attened many births there and rave about it. They allow water births, will do a herbal bath, let her photograph a c section, they are very open to natural ways and friendly with the midwives. I don't know much about their policies but it really seems like the next best thing.
A friend delivered there and when her labor stalled at 9cm they got her upright and waited nearly 2 hours till things got going again and she didn't cone with a midwife or doula!!!! That is awesome:)))
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN