Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I have a spitter

Posted by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 5:34 PM
  • 16 Replies

My 4 month old spits up a lot. It doesnt seem to bother him but it seems like a significant amount of his meals are returned to me. I don't know if it is reflux or just normal baby spit up. My other 3 kids rarely spit up. He has his 4 month well baby check on May 15, but I want to try some natural remedies before that. I have a feeling my pediatrician will either suggest cereal or meds and I don't want to leap into those. I feel like either should only be a last resort.

I nurse him upright and keep him upright after eating, but he still spits up. Sometimes he spits up even if it has been more than an hour after he last ate. Would hazelwood help if I get him a hazelwood necklace? What else can I try?

by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 5:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TrentsMom84
by Silver Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 5:46 PM

Eliminating all dairy for several weeks to see if it's an allergy. 

Mrs.Salz
by Platinum Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 5:48 PM
1 mom liked this

If he's gaining weight and is generally happy, it's not really an issue. I think spitting up peaks around 4 months.

http://kellymom.com/health/baby-health/reflux/

jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 5:49 PM
Both my girls are/were big spitty uppers. As well as keeping him upright, skin to skin tummy contact while he eats will help his digestion as well (this is why mommy cats lick their kittens' bellies).

But really, as long as he's not in pain and his spit up doesn't smell like vomit, there's no reason to worry. Some babies just spit up a lot. In this case the official diagnosis is "laundry problem."
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BridgetMc
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 5:50 PM
Eliminating dairy helped with my daughter. It's not an allergy, it's a sensitivity/inability to break down the proteins. Cutting dairy out made her a much less spit-uppy baby. Go to kellymom.com. There is lots of good information there.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
_muffin_
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 6:00 PM

I was going to say cut out dairy, but they beat me to it. It has made a world of difference for my daughter.

maggiandmike
by Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 6:06 PM

My oldest was a spitter. My mama says I was a spitter. He may just have a weak larynx. I have a horrible gag reflex still, so I'm sure that's why I spit.

ETA: If he's gaining fine and not in pain- it's a laundry problem, nothing more.

mjrex87
by Mindy on Apr. 30, 2012 at 6:14 PM

DD is a heavy spitter. At first it didn't seem to bother her and I kept her upright for up to an hour after nursing (still spit up a lot). Over the past few weeks, she has started getting really cranky after nursing, sometimes even screaming and has been inconsolable a few times. I tried cutting out dairy but that didn't work. I tried gripe water, but that didn't work either. We finally decided to try the zantac because she was in obvious pain and it seemed to be getting worse, regardless of what we did. If you find something natural that works, let me know!

littlelambe2
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 6:33 PM

As long as he's making enough diapers, gaining weight, and doesn't seem bothered by it, it shouldn't be an issue.

JMmama
by Silver Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 6:43 PM
Thank you for the link! He left the hospital at 6lbs 13oz and now is a couple ounces over 13lbs so he is gaining fine and he is generally happy. I have had issues with oversupply and OAL so that may be part of it. He's also teething. Maybe I will let it ride for a few more weeks and see what happens.

Quoting Mrs.Salz:

If he's gaining weight and is generally happy, it's not really an issue. I think spitting up peaks around 4 months.

http://kellymom.com/health/baby-health/reflux/

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JMmama
by Silver Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 7:19 PM

LOL @ laundry problem. We definitely have that. I will try the skin to skin tummy contact. Maybe that is why he doesn't spit up as much at night. I chalked it up to him being relaxed and sleeping deeply, but maybe that skin to skin at night is helping. Interesting...

Quoting jellyphish:

Both my girls are/were big spitty uppers. As well as keeping him upright, skin to skin tummy contact while he eats will help his digestion as well (this is why mommy cats lick their kittens' bellies).

But really, as long as he's not in pain and his spit up doesn't smell like vomit, there's no reason to worry. Some babies just spit up a lot. In this case the official diagnosis is "laundry problem."

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)