Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Raw honey questions

Posted by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 5:59 PM
  • 6 Replies
My little boys allergies are going crazy, so I picked up some local, raw, unfiltered, wildflower honey yesterday. How much do I give them? I did a spoonful yesterday & today and I'm wondering if this is enough. Is the wildflower honey as good for allergies or would clover honey have been better? And how long before it begins helping? My husband thinks it's going to make them worse before it starts to help, if it helps.
Thanks!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 5:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 6:40 PM
1 mom liked this
It depends what allergens are bothering him to determine what kind of honey. The point of getting local honey is that it's made with the offending allergens, so when he eats it his immune system will become immune and the allergic reactions will stop.
I dont know that it'll get worse, but it won't be an immediate effect, it takes time to build the immunity.
A spoonful a day should be good. (Assuming he's over a year of course.)

Also make sure he's getting enough water.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 6:49 PM
It's just seasonal allergies that started with sporting coming into bloom, we haven't tested to see what specific pollen is the culprit. The are 3 and 14 months and the only thing they drink is water (well, and breastmilk)
Thanks!

Quoting jellyphish:

It depends what allergens are bothering him to determine what kind of honey. The point of getting local honey is that it's made with the offending allergens, so when he eats it his immune system will become immune and the allergic reactions will stop.

I dont know that it'll get worse, but it won't be an immediate effect, it takes time to build the immunity.

A spoonful a day should be good. (Assuming he's over a year of course.)

Also make sure he's getting enough water.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RochelleFS
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 6:53 PM
You should not give honey to babies under 1 year.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 7:43 PM
Thanks I know that. None of my children are under 1.

Quoting RochelleFS:

You should not give honey to babies under 1 year.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on May. 2, 2012 at 6:16 PM
1 mom liked this

We do a spoonful a day throughout the year to build up immunities.

MILFInProgress
by on May. 2, 2012 at 6:30 PM
1 mom liked this

I live in Las Vegas and at Whole Foods here they have a thing called LV Allergy and it is a liquid form of all the pollen in the area that you put a couple drops under your tongue a couple times a day. Your miserable for about three days, and then fine after that. You might check out your local health food store for that. I know with honey its somthing you want to do every day to build up your immunities through out the year.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN