Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Drug dependent babies

Posted by on May. 1, 2012 at 5:15 PM
  • 10 Replies

I just read an article about how there are so many babies born with a dependence on drugs.  Methadone for babies, all that.  I realize that there are people who take drugs for various conditions, I realize that accidents during pregnancy occur, necessitating the use of painkillers.  But if you get pregnant and choose to carry a precious being, shouldn't you also decide to quit taking illegal drugs or incorrectly used medication?  I mean that baby is borrowing your body.  Give it the best environment possible.

I took only tylenlol during my pregnancy.  I stopped my migraine prevention meds and migraine meds when we started trying to conceive.  I knew anything I put in my body was going to her.  Known risks to the baby or not, I took no chance.  Breastfeeding, I continued with only Tylenol.  I wouldn't take even that if I knew she would be needing infant tylenol soon.

Between all the lawyers ads asking if you took this or that while pregnant and now this article, I am even happier with my decision to reduce the amount of any medication my daughter would get through me.

by on May. 1, 2012 at 5:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TTC2Long
by on May. 1, 2012 at 5:21 PM
I don't think most drug addicts have their priorities in line in general, so expecting them to suddenly snap to is not realistic. There are those, of course, for whom their pregnancy gave them the reason they needed to get clean.

I'm like you, though. I hardly took anything at all, even with the worst migraine of my life, during pregnancy. When ds was first born, I still just toughed moat things out. It took a LOT for me to break down and pop a pill. But I also don't have any conditions, that requires me to be on meds.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bloomsr
by Bronze Member on May. 1, 2012 at 5:54 PM
My MIL used to do newborn foster care for babies born with drugs in their system. She never talks about it much but after she watched ds overnight I made the comment that I hoped he hadn't been too much of a handfull overnight (he was around 6 mos at the time).

She looked me in the eye and just said that she almost forgot what unaddicted babies were like. So sad. These parents should have their rights terminated immediately, IMO.
TrentsMom84
by Silver Member on May. 1, 2012 at 5:56 PM

A legitimate addict doesn't care about themselves let alone other people-babies included.

snowangel1979
by Bronze Member on May. 1, 2012 at 6:25 PM
I agree a drug addict doesn't care generally doesn't care about anything but the drugs.

I have a relative that uses to be a surgical nurse in the labor and delivery.
In a decent neighborhood.

After ten years she just couldn't do it anymore because of the drug addicts. Seeing babies die and be born dependent on drugs. She would come home from work crying for these babies.

IDK I had a absence tooth and then had to have a root canel when I was pregnant with DD. They had to give me tylonal 3. The doctor had to talk me into taking them. Telling me it was better to take them because the pain I was in was stressing out / worse for the baby. Even then I only took a few and was worried it would hurt DD.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kitty8199
by on May. 1, 2012 at 6:26 PM
You have to remember addicts don't think with a clear head.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on May. 2, 2012 at 7:43 AM

I don't know how people can do that, that's horrible.

Nee86
by Bronze Member on May. 2, 2012 at 11:31 AM
Sone people just don't get it. They don't get, what you put in ypur body goes right to baby.

Last week after my son was born, I was leaving the hospital with a box and crying, DHS was there taking custody of a baby born addicted to drugs. Yeah, that made the day even funnier!
JoyfulMommy1221
by on May. 2, 2012 at 11:32 AM
I agree. I feel so bad for the babies who had no choice but to be addicted to drugs. I don't like taking anything stronger than tylenol either. I've even cut out aspartame which is in things like gum! I have a friend who is sort of ttc once a month. They're "not serious yet" so she still goes out and drinks and smokes her cigs. I convinced her to take a prenatal vitamin, but she feels everything else is safe. I don't think she realizes that there are a few weeks of development before you know you're pregnant...at least she doesn't do hard drugs but still...I worry...
JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on May. 2, 2012 at 5:43 PM

I wonder how many hardcore drug addicts even know they are pregnant? They are in their own world we they even notice the growing belly or the kicking?

moroccanmommy
by Bronze Member on May. 2, 2012 at 5:48 PM
My husband drives the city bus route to the meth clinic...you should see the people who get on his bus rain or shine. Preggers, newborns all ages of kids with thier parents. Some r so drunk and smell of old cigs. Makes him sick. Poor babies
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN