Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Co sleeping question

Posted by on May. 2, 2012 at 10:57 AM
  • 28 Replies
So I had no plans to co sleep with my new baby..... Ds slept in his crib from day one, dd slept in a bassinet the next to my bed from day one and I planned to use the bassinete with my new dd who is 4 days old. But she wants to sleep with me and I actually prefer it too, with my other kids I felt they were safer in their crib or bassinete but with my new dd I just feel better with her by me, at least for now. So how does co sleeping work and if I start this way how do I teach her to ever sleep in her crib when she is bigger?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 2, 2012 at 10:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on May. 2, 2012 at 11:13 AM
1 mom liked this
First, you need to know the safety rules: no blankets, pillows, siblings, or over exhausted or medicated parents allowed in bed.

I've noticed there's no one way, it varies with each child. A lot of parents here have their babies in the crook of their arms. Hera won't sleep that way. She nurses, unlatches, then fusses until I move her away from me. So we sleep next to but w/o touching each other.

Your babe will let you know what she wants.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
2forKaty
by on May. 2, 2012 at 11:20 AM
No blankets at all? I have been covering her up with me, though I only use one blanket...... I also have quite a few pillows since I kind of make us a little area penned in by pillows but none of them touch Joy.... I don't know that I could sleep without my pillows especially now since I cant sleep on my belly (my boobs are all huge and sore hahaha)
Quoting jellyphish:

First, you need to know the safety rules: no blankets, pillows, siblings, or over exhausted or medicated parents allowed in bed.

I've noticed there's no one way, it varies with each child. A lot of parents here have their babies in the crook of their arms. Hera won't sleep that way. She nurses, unlatches, then fusses until I move her away from me. So we sleep next to but w/o touching each other.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
stevie31
by on May. 2, 2012 at 11:20 AM

there are co sleeper bassinets at babys r us.

soulofsunmama
by on May. 2, 2012 at 11:23 AM
I kept him on the outside until 4-5 months old, and had a co sleeper (or you can remove one side of crib and push that again bed as a sidebar) just in case they rolled. He slept on his side and I took a rolled up receiving blanket to place along his back, this wedged him between me and blanket so he couldn't roll either way. For several months I just slept on that same side in one position, with a hard pillow behind my back and a soft one between my knees. You can learn to nurse both sides without moving from that position, that makes it a lot easier. After he got a little older I rolled up another small receiving blanket ( these are my babyfied duct tape) and wedged between us, so that hr learned to roll onto his back to sleep (at that point I removed the blanket alongside his back of course::)
You'll get it with practice, and once you do its awesome!! We all sleep so much better!!
I don't know anything about transitioning out since he's 7.5 months, and will be in bed with us for a lot longer. Happy zzzzz's
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
soulofsunmama
by on May. 2, 2012 at 11:30 AM
1 mom liked this
YES to cosleeping rules!!
I found that a sheet and a light throw pulled up to my waist, make sure you have pj bottoms on, they keep your body temp regulated....was warm was enough. Then I take a light muslin blanket to have on my chest. These blankets are super! Cool if you need them to be, and warm if you need...That way if by any chance it went on baby' head(which it never did) they can breathe through it.

Quoting 2forKaty:

No blankets at all? I have been covering her up with me, though I only use one blanket...... I also have quite a few pillows since I kind of make us a little area penned in by pillows but none of them touch Joy.... I don't know that I could sleep without my pillows especially now since I cant sleep on my belly (my boobs are all huge and sore hahaha)
Quoting jellyphish:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
2forKaty
by on May. 2, 2012 at 11:30 AM
Yeah I looked at those but they are so expensive..... Maybe once upon a child has some.......how do they make it so there is no gap between your mattress and the cosleep we?

Quoting stevie31:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrsAdorkable
by on May. 2, 2012 at 11:33 AM
1 mom liked this

I slept with a neck pillow and wrapped myself in a thin blanket.  Conner slept in a sidecar, but was also usuall in the crook of my arm. Daddy slept on the opposite side of the bed (baby shouldn't be in between parents) Mattress should also be firm.

He  was ready to move to his own room much earlier then most babies, around 9 mo.
I started out with a mattress on the floor, because he disliked the crib (I don't blame him!)
I eventually found something that worked for us. I set up a low twin bed in the corner, with a high head-foot board & narrow slats/no intricate designs (the same applies to your beds head/foot board btw) pushed a queen mattress under to make a trundle, add a few toys, and blocked off that section of the room with a baby gate. Then we could lay down to nurse and then i left before he was completely asleep (i tried waiting til he was asleep, that just led to tears)

When baby is ready, co-sleeper's actually transtiion very well to their own room. 

MrsAdorkable
by on May. 2, 2012 at 11:35 AM

They are expensive. Luckily, you can transition your existing crib to a co-sleeper. 

This site has instructions on how to close the gap, and there are also a lot of youtube videos. http://www.freewebs.com/sidecarcrib/

Quoting 2forKaty:

Yeah I looked at those but they are so expensive..... Maybe once upon a child has some.......how do they make it so there is no gap between your mattress and the cosleep we?

Quoting stevie31:

soulofsunmama
by on May. 2, 2012 at 11:37 AM
Google sidecar crib, there are some good suggestions...you can take rolled up receiving blankets and fill in gap. And we all thought we got to many of those things:) id like to write a short book on all the uses I've found for them!
Quoting 2forKaty:

Quoting stevie31:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommy2annaliese
by on May. 2, 2012 at 11:39 AM
1 mom liked this

I highly suggest you google safe cosleeping and read about what not to do.

NO pillows all around you, bad idea, baby could eaily roll her face into one of them, or just roll over and then one is in her face and she is in deep sleep and breathing to shallow and horrible things can happen.

same with blanket, you or her could roll over pulling it up over her face. I use a VERY tiny, short small blanket on me only, wrapped around my legs. she is at my shoulders.

also, no super soft surfaces.

just look into safe cosleeping.

I dont use ANY pillow what so ever.

they make neck pillows for cosleeping, but most pro cosleeping peds advise against them, id trade my comfort for her life and safety any day.

Quoting 2forKaty:

Quoting jellyphish:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN