Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Kindergarten- full or half days?

Posted by   + Show Post
Isis was just accepted into a Montessori charter school (yay!!) and will start kindergarten this fall )holy crap!!!).
Half days (8:30-11:30) are free, or we have the option of sending her for full days (until 2:45) at small cost.

How long were/are you kids' kindergarten days and were you and they happy with it?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 2, 2012 at 4:42 PM
Replies (21-28):
MommaTasha1003
by on May. 3, 2012 at 10:36 AM

Im about to sign DD up for K here :-( ... (wanted to homeschool, but Kindergarten + newborn.. Mommy cant handle!!)... And I think they only have Full Day which I hate!

When I went to Kindergarten (1990) I had 1/2 day & it was great for the first year of school. A full day I think would have worn me out & after lunch I wouldnt have learned much anyway from being tired.. Or I would have just gotten cranky or something.

ashuiren
by on May. 3, 2012 at 11:13 AM

Here K is full days. I actually would have preferred half days because it's Finn's first year. He hasn't had any problems adjusting, though, and has done really well over all.

MyIslandGirls
by on May. 3, 2012 at 11:28 AM

My oldest (who is now 11) went to half day kindergarten. Back that that is what was offered. My 2nd daughter is now 6 and finishing up her kindergarten year. She got full days becuase that's what her school day.  I like the full days becuase my daugter was ready for them. She's tired at the end of the day but otherwise extremely happy.

It would depend of what your daughter is able to do too.

mehargval
by on May. 3, 2012 at 11:34 AM
If the kids stay at montessori for kindergarden next year they'll do half days. If they go public, which I do NOT want, it'll be a full day. Dh wants them to go public because of the money and I'm trying to talk him out of it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FebPenguins
by on May. 4, 2012 at 9:19 AM

Full days are required by any school wishing to recieve state funding here in Michigan.

Raeann11
by on May. 4, 2012 at 11:22 AM

Our school around here are full days. I think they are great. My oldest  loved it too. They were able to slow take out naps, having them learning to sitting more at a desk, playing less and getting prepared for first grade. When you pretty much just sit at your dest all day. Other then for music, art, stroy time, library time, gym, lunch and after lunch play time. Hubby and I are very happy with our school system. We also live on the other side of town. And there schools offer more help for students that need it. So they can excell and get help in the area's then need.

Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on May. 4, 2012 at 3:42 PM

my DD is in 4K half days and loves it!  5K is full days.

annelauer
by on May. 4, 2012 at 5:49 PM

We do part time Kindergarten and I supplement with a home school curriculum that I purchased.  Then, depending on how our daughter is doing and what she is currently interested in we can go further in that direction.  I think it has to be a personal choice and depends fully on the preferences of your daughter and your family.  Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN