Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Kindergarten- full or half days?

Posted by on May. 2, 2012 at 4:42 PM
  • 28 Replies
Isis was just accepted into a Montessori charter school (yay!!) and will start kindergarten this fall )holy crap!!!).
Half days (8:30-11:30) are free, or we have the option of sending her for full days (until 2:45) at small cost.

How long were/are you kids' kindergarten days and were you and they happy with it?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 2, 2012 at 4:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jconney80
by Group Mod on May. 2, 2012 at 6:06 PM

I think that it just depends on what you think will work best for her! Or you! I like the option of a longer day since they have more time to learn. I feel the kids who have shorter days aren't getting the chance to learn as much. If you feel she needs more time to adjust to being away from home that long then I'd just do a half day! Another thing to think about is whether you will be taking her or not & how it will fit into the schedule of your youngest. I found it such a pain to take my daughter for only 3 hours. You have to load up & leave then figure out what you will do in that time period. And whether it's worth cutting into naps & loading up again 3 hours later.

KristinawithaK
by on May. 2, 2012 at 6:08 PM

I wished *edit* WHOLE (not half) days was offered at our school.

out of curiosity, why did you choose montessori over traditional school?  I'm opposed to it, but I'm curious to know why people choose it.

JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on May. 2, 2012 at 6:23 PM

They only do full day kindergarten around here.

jellyphish
by Platinum Member on May. 2, 2012 at 6:32 PM
I love the idea of respecting that kids aren't cookie molds. There are multiple ways for kids to learn at Montessori, and they are taught what they are ready to learn, when and how they're ready to learn it. I feel the regular school system is way over-structured, and strict text book learning isn't ideal.
Especially here in az where the public schools rate bottom of the barrel compared to the rest of the country. I can't afford private, but I feel this is a much better alternative.

Why are you opposed?

Quoting KristinawithaK:

I wished half days was offered at our school.

out of curiosity, why did you choose montessori over traditional school?  I'm opposed to it, but I'm curious to know why people choose it.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RochelleFS
by on May. 2, 2012 at 6:34 PM
We have full days and are happy with it
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KristinawithaK
by on May. 2, 2012 at 6:40 PM

bad experiences with the step-daughters...  they were in mixed-age classes.  so the older one would want to do what the older kids did, so she would copy, but she did everything wrong.  I would have rather her learned the correct/proper way than to skip ahead and try to emulate the older kids.  not to mention, montessori is only offered until 6th grade, then what is she going to do?

the montessori kids are in a different part of the school, kinda like outcasts, out in the portables.  I don't agree with that.  I don't like the segregation.  it's almost like the "nerdy kids club".  so the younger one (who is an extreme athlete) feels like she can't mingle with her friends.

also, I feel like she (the older kid) was the type of kid that needed the structure, not the opposite.  (her mother was a looney tune).  real life is cookie molds.  your employer isn't going to understand that you "learn differently" than your peers.

don't get me wrong, I don't learn traditionally either, I have to figure out different ways to learn things so that I can understand them.  I just don't think it's for everybody.  so I opted to leave my kids out of it.

I've thought about moving to AZ (I was born in phoenix) but (I'm not racist) I wouldn't want my kids learning ESL.  I would like to move to the other side of the state (seattle area) they have great curriculum over there.

Quoting jellyphish:

I love the idea of respecting that kids aren't cookie molds. There are multiple ways for kids to learn at Montessori, and they are taught what they are when to learn, when and how they're ready to learn it. I feel the regular school system is way over-structured, and strict text book learning isn't ideal.
Especially here in az where the public schools rate bottom of the barrel compared to the rest of the country. I can't afford private, but I feel this is a much better alternative.

Why are you opposed?

Quoting KristinawithaK:

I wished half days was offered at our school.

Melame68
by on May. 2, 2012 at 6:41 PM
Half days. She likes it. She is excited to have a whole day next year though
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JMmama
by Silver Member on May. 2, 2012 at 6:55 PM

My oldest goes full day and he has really excelled. My daughter will go full day in the fall and she is really looking forward to it. I used to teach first grade in a public school and I will say that the kids who went to half day kindergarten were at a distinct disadvantage that the full day kindy kids at the beginning of the year. There is A LOT of material in first grade. It was hard for the half day kids to adjust to being in school all day AND learn the first grade material. They did eventually settle in, but it was really hard for them the first several weeks of school. The full day kids had already made that adjustment in kindergarten and started first grade ready to go.

However, if you are sticking with the Montessori program that may not be an issue for you. I went to Montessori through 3rd grade and it was an AMAZING program. I have nothing but good things to say about it. I really wanted my ODS to go to the Montessori school here, but at $900 a month we just couldn't swing it.

toopicky429
by on May. 2, 2012 at 6:57 PM
We have full day kindergarten in our district. My daughter loves it because she gets to eat lunch with her friends, lol. I love it because they are not rushed through like they would be with half day.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
doulala
by on May. 2, 2012 at 6:57 PM

Half days with my kids, I recommend this!

:-)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN