Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kindergarten- full or half days?

Posted by   + Show Post
Isis was just accepted into a Montessori charter school (yay!!) and will start kindergarten this fall )holy crap!!!).
Half days (8:30-11:30) are free, or we have the option of sending her for full days (until 2:45) at small cost.

How long were/are you kids' kindergarten days and were you and they happy with it?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 2, 2012 at 4:42 PM
Replies (11-20):
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on May. 2, 2012 at 7:14 PM
Don't let that be the reason you don't come here! ESL is English taught to Spanish speaking kids (English as a Second Language), if your kids don't speak Spanish as a first language they won't be in ESL classes!
Quoting KristinawithaK:

bad experiences with the step-daughters...  they were in mixed-age classes.  so the older one would want to do what the older kids did, so she would copy, but she did everything wrong.  I would have rather her learned the correct/proper way than to skip ahead and try to emulate the older kids.  not to mention, montessori is only offered until 6th grade, then what is she going to do?

the montessori kids are in a different part of the school, kinda like outcasts, out in the portables.  I don't agree with that.  I don't like the segregation.  it's almost like the "nerdy kids club".  so the younger one (who is an extreme athlete) feels like she can't mingle with her friends.

also, I feel like she (the older kid) was the type of kid that needed the structure, not the opposite.  (her mother was a looney tune).  real life is cookie molds.  your employer isn't going to understand that you "learn differently" than your peers.

don't get me wrong, I don't learn traditionally either, I have to figure out different ways to learn things so that I can understand them.  I just don't think it's for everybody.  so I opted to leave my kids out of it.

I've thought about moving to AZ (I was born in phoenix) but (I'm not racist) I wouldn't want my kids learning ESL.  I would like to move to the other side of the state (seattle area) they have great curriculum over there.

Quoting jellyphish:

I love the idea of respecting that kids aren't cookie molds. There are multiple ways for kids to learn at Montessori, and they are taught what they are when to learn, when and how they're ready to learn it. I feel the regular school system is way over-structured, and strict text book learning isn't ideal.

Especially here in az where the public schools rate bottom of the barrel compared to the rest of the country. I can't afford private, but I feel this is a much better alternative.

Why are you opposed?

Quoting KristinawithaK:

I wished half days was offered at our school.

out of curiosity, why did you choose montessori over traditional school?  I'm opposed to it, but I'm curious to know why people choose it.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
issoaisavi5
by Member on May. 2, 2012 at 7:19 PM

My oldest went full and I loved it!  Then we moved and they only offer half day.  I don't think they have time to do anything in a couple of hours.  I would have loved to send them to a Montessori school or a waldorf school, but they are big bucks around here!!

KristinawithaK
by on May. 2, 2012 at 7:32 PM
1 mom liked this

yes, I realize.  sorry, that is my way of being funny.  I am dramatic for effect.  :)

I went to AZ a couple of years ago for a friend's wedding and have not felt so at home as I did then.

Quoting jellyphish:

Don't let that be the reason you don't come here! ESL is English taught to Spanish speaking kids (English as a Second Language), if your kids don't speak Spanish as a first language they won't be in ESL classes!
Quoting KristinawithaK:

bad experiences with the step-daughters...  they were in mixed-age classes.  so the older one would want to do what the older kids did, so she would copy, but she did everything wrong.  I would have rather her learned the correct/proper way than to skip ahead and try to emulate the older kids.  not to mention, montessori is only offered until 6th grade, then what is she going to do?

the montessori kids are in a different part of the school, kinda like outcasts, out in the portables.  I don't agree with that.  I don't like the segregation.  it's almost like the "nerdy kids club".  so the younger one (who is an extreme athlete) feels like she can't mingle with her friends.

also, I feel like she (the older kid) was the type of kid that needed the structure, not the opposite.  (her mother was a looney tune).  real life is cookie molds.  your employer isn't going to understand that you "learn differently" than your peers.

don't get me wrong, I don't learn traditionally either, I have to figure out different ways to learn things so that I can understand them.  I just don't think it's for everybody.  so I opted to leave my kids out of it.

I've thought about moving to AZ (I was born in phoenix) but (I'm not racist) I wouldn't want my kids learning ESL.  I would like to move to the other side of the state (seattle area) they have great curriculum over there.

Quoting jellyphish:

I love the idea of respecting that kids aren't cookie molds. There are multiple ways for kids to learn at Montessori, and they are taught what they are when to learn, when and how they're ready to learn it. I feel the regular school system is way over-structured, and strict text book learning isn't ideal.

Especially here in az where the public schools rate bottom of the barrel compared to the rest of the country. I can't afford private, but I feel this is a much better alternative.

Why are you opposed?

Quoting KristinawithaK:

I wished half days was offered at our school.

out of curiosity, why did you choose montessori over traditional school?  I'm opposed to it, but I'm curious to know why people choose it.

melindabelcher
by mel on May. 2, 2012 at 8:50 PM
We chose half day for marcus. It works out really well for us and him.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
inkaholicj
by on May. 2, 2012 at 9:46 PM
We have full days here. Both if my older two loved it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
catholicmamamia
by on May. 2, 2012 at 11:50 PM

We would probably begin with half days. 

♥♥ Join us in  
Crunchy Moms  and share advice on breastfeeding, babywearing, 
        bedsharing, non-cio. gentle discipline, and natural foods, health, and cleaners! ♥

catholicmamamia
by on May. 2, 2012 at 11:50 PM
1 mom liked this

Congratulations on Isis' acceptance! 

♥♥ Join us in  
Crunchy Moms  and share advice on breastfeeding, babywearing, 
        bedsharing, non-cio. gentle discipline, and natural foods, health, and cleaners! ♥

hello_kitty25
by Member on May. 3, 2012 at 1:26 AM

My dd is in half days because full days are $3400/year!

peaches_04
by Platinum Member on May. 3, 2012 at 7:09 AM
It depends on the child, if they went to prek how long did they go and how did they handle it
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on May. 3, 2012 at 10:15 AM

I personally would send the half day if your child is a napper.  If your child is not a napper full days are the way to go.  My schools do not allow naps in Kindergarten so some kids are worn out after 4-5 hours.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)