Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Me, again... With another birth plan question. *UPDATE* *reorganized*

Posted by on May. 3, 2012 at 11:01 AM
  • 39 Replies
2 moms liked this

I am 30 weeks. I have decided I did not like the midwife and a lot of her practices (no alternative to the glucose test, won't deliver breech, would induce with Cytotec and was arrogant, etc) at the free standing birthing center. So... I am going to go through a hospital birthing center, but feel good about the choice, since I will have more options in my own care. Anyway, I just want to make sure my birth plan doesn't seem.... excessive. I know, I will add a few more points as I think about it. Any advice? Anything I am missing? Anything I should not include and just verbalize?

I am still researching eye drops,  Hep B and Vit K and have not made a decision, yet. (FYI, readers)  

Labor and Delivery  

1) During vaginal exams, I do NOT want membranes stripped or swiped or water broken without consenting to any of those procedures before hand. 111  

2) I will not discuss the option of inducing before 42 unless there is a medical need. I am flexible in doing NST at 41 weeks, to ensure baby is doing well.    

3) I am well versed on various medicines for pain relief (epidurals and IV meds). Do not offer them to me or ask me about using them. If I want them, I will make it known.   

4) I need to be able to eat and drink freely.   

5) I consent to a heplock, but not an IV drip, unless it is needed and we talk about what the drip is for.   

6) I will wear what I want.    

7) No internal vaginal exams except for when I come in and upon my request.   

8) I need to be able to move freely throughout the course of labor.   

9) I need to be able to birth in whatever position my body dictates, when my body dictates (not just because I am at a ten). I will work in conjunction with the midwife in choosing a position to decrease my risk of tearing or for baby to be stuck.   

10) I do not consent to belt monitors or internal monitors, as they restrict movement. I will consent to periodic doppler monitoring.   

11) I prefer a water birth, but am flexible on that as needs come up.   

12) I will sit on a birthing ball.   

13) No episiotomy.   

14) Joshua will "catch" if things are going well.   

After Birth   

1) Delay cord clamping, until after the cord stops pulsing.   

2) Direct skin to skin contact and nursing immediately after birth, APGAR score can be assessed as we nurse and weight and such can be taken later.   

3) Baby doesn't go anywhere without me or Daddy, for any reason. Baby will room in only. Baby will not get any shots or tests without our verbal agreement to the procedure beforehand.    

4) No bottles or paci's. Baby is exclusively breast fed.    

5) I will be the one to wash baby, well after nursing and bonding has taken place.   

6) Joshua will cut the cord.   

7) I will take my placenta with me.   

8) If baby is jauniced, baby is to be kept with me doing skin to skin and nursing on demand, with us keeping an eye on their bilirubin. 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

by on May. 3, 2012 at 11:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on May. 3, 2012 at 11:05 AM
Do you want baby washed? And if so when and by whom?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on May. 3, 2012 at 11:05 AM
Sounds good to me. I'd take #12 out completely though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
louzannalady
by Silver Member on May. 3, 2012 at 11:11 AM

Gotcha!

Quoting jellyphish:

Sounds good to me. I'd take #12 out completely though.

louzannalady
by Silver Member on May. 3, 2012 at 11:13 AM

Oh! I haven't decided! (Well, us ofcourse!) But, on the "when"... To be honest I was just going to annoy the crap out of them until they let us go ASAP! Is that something I can put in my birth plan? I have never seen anyone put that in, that they just want OUT of there at the first possible second?

Quoting JoJoBean8:

Do you want baby washed? And if so when and by whom?

Mrs.Salz
by on May. 3, 2012 at 11:15 AM

It looks good! It can be helpful to word things as "I will be..." instead of "I want" or "I would like." "I do not consent" is a good one too.

I agree, remove #12. Do you want them to offer pain medication?

louzannalady
by Silver Member on May. 3, 2012 at 11:17 AM

Negatory, Rubber Ducky! : )That's why I am going to wait until I am just short of crowning to go in! Lol! ; ) I did cover than on 19, though. I will go back and be more firm in my wording. 

Quoting Mrs.Salz:

It looks good! It can be helpful to word things as "I will be..." instead of "I want" or "I would like." "I do not consent" is a good one too.

I agree, remove #12. Do you want them to offer pain medication?

EthansMomma2010
by on May. 3, 2012 at 11:30 AM

looks great! you might want to add something about no glucose tests if you are concerned about big baby. that was what they whisked my child away for and i was too exhausted to fight. i never thought about it til it happened. 

louzannalady
by Silver Member on May. 3, 2012 at 11:32 AM

Oh, so you are saying if I decline my own glucose test, they may try and test him or her after they are born? I am just trying to make sure I understand, so I can write clear instructions. 

Quoting EthansMomma2010:

looks great! you might want to add something about no glucose tests if you are concerned about big baby. that was what they whisked my child away for and i was too exhausted to fight. i never thought about it til it happened. 

EthansMomma2010
by on May. 3, 2012 at 11:38 AM

i did my own glucose test and they still took him for his own because he was over 8 lbs and i'm tiny. they were expecting a 6 pounder and when they saw how big he was they went nuts! it felt like hours before i got to hold him. ( i'm sure it was only like 30 mins or something including bathing and weighing but still). but i'm sure they will push it more if you decline your own test too. 

Quoting louzannalady:

Oh, so you are saying if I decline my own glucose test, they may try and test him or her after they are born? I am just trying to make sure I understand, so I can write clear instructions. 

Quoting EthansMomma2010:

louzannalady
by Silver Member on May. 3, 2012 at 11:40 AM

Okay, I went back and updated number 8, to cover it. 8) Baby doesn't go anywhere without me or Daddy, for any reason! Baby will room in only! Baby will not get any shots or tests without our verbal agreement to the procedure beforehand.  

Quoting EthansMomma2010:

i did my own glucose test and they still took him for his own because he was over 8 lbs and i'm tiny. they were expecting a 6 pounder and when they saw how big he was they went nuts! it felt like hours before i got to hold him. ( i'm sure it was only like 30 mins or something including bathing and weighing but still). but i'm sure they will push it more if you decline your own test too. 

Quoting louzannalady:

Quoting EthansMomma2010:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)