Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Me, again... With another birth plan question. *UPDATE* *reorganized*

Posted by   + Show Post

I am 30 weeks. I have decided I did not like the midwife and a lot of her practices (no alternative to the glucose test, won't deliver breech, would induce with Cytotec and was arrogant, etc) at the free standing birthing center. So... I am going to go through a hospital birthing center, but feel good about the choice, since I will have more options in my own care. Anyway, I just want to make sure my birth plan doesn't seem.... excessive. I know, I will add a few more points as I think about it. Any advice? Anything I am missing? Anything I should not include and just verbalize?

I am still researching eye drops,  Hep B and Vit K and have not made a decision, yet. (FYI, readers)  

Labor and Delivery  

1) During vaginal exams, I do NOT want membranes stripped or swiped or water broken without consenting to any of those procedures before hand. 111  

2) I will not discuss the option of inducing before 42 unless there is a medical need. I am flexible in doing NST at 41 weeks, to ensure baby is doing well.    

3) I am well versed on various medicines for pain relief (epidurals and IV meds). Do not offer them to me or ask me about using them. If I want them, I will make it known.   

4) I need to be able to eat and drink freely.   

5) I consent to a heplock, but not an IV drip, unless it is needed and we talk about what the drip is for.   

6) I will wear what I want.    

7) No internal vaginal exams except for when I come in and upon my request.   

8) I need to be able to move freely throughout the course of labor.   

9) I need to be able to birth in whatever position my body dictates, when my body dictates (not just because I am at a ten). I will work in conjunction with the midwife in choosing a position to decrease my risk of tearing or for baby to be stuck.   

10) I do not consent to belt monitors or internal monitors, as they restrict movement. I will consent to periodic doppler monitoring.   

11) I prefer a water birth, but am flexible on that as needs come up.   

12) I will sit on a birthing ball.   

13) No episiotomy.   

14) Joshua will "catch" if things are going well.   

After Birth   

1) Delay cord clamping, until after the cord stops pulsing.   

2) Direct skin to skin contact and nursing immediately after birth, APGAR score can be assessed as we nurse and weight and such can be taken later.   

3) Baby doesn't go anywhere without me or Daddy, for any reason. Baby will room in only. Baby will not get any shots or tests without our verbal agreement to the procedure beforehand.    

4) No bottles or paci's. Baby is exclusively breast fed.    

5) I will be the one to wash baby, well after nursing and bonding has taken place.   

6) Joshua will cut the cord.   

7) I will take my placenta with me.   

8) If baby is jauniced, baby is to be kept with me doing skin to skin and nursing on demand, with us keeping an eye on their bilirubin. 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

by on May. 3, 2012 at 11:01 AM
Replies (11-20):
EthansMomma2010
by on May. 3, 2012 at 11:41 AM

looks good!

TTC2Long
by on May. 3, 2012 at 11:42 AM
1 mom liked this
I would move #14 up to right after #6. Also, I would reorder to make it sequential. I had mine in sections; labor, delivery and post partum, to make it clear and easy to follow. I would also move pain management up to the top.

As for bathing, we had ds wiped down only to remove blood and get him dry. We had the nurse wash his hair only a few hours later when we were settled in to our recovery room.

Don't forget about eyedrops!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
louzannalady
by on May. 3, 2012 at 11:44 AM

Get idea! I like that, putting them in order!

Quoting TTC2Long:

I would move #14 up to right after #6. Also, I would reorder to make it sequential. I had mine in sections; labor, delivery and post parting, to make it clear and easy to follow. I would also move pain management up to the top.

As for bathing, we had ds wiped down only to remove blood and get him dry. We had the nurse wash his hair only a few hours later when we were settled in to our recovery room.

jellyphish
by Platinum Member on May. 3, 2012 at 11:45 AM
2 moms liked this
Oh, and also, some things I added were no circ'ing if baby was a boy. And in the case of jaundice, baby will immediately stay with me for skin to skin contact and to be breast fed unless it becomes very serious and intervention is needed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TTC2Long
by on May. 3, 2012 at 11:47 AM
1 mom liked this
Stupid autocorrect. Post PARTUM. Gah. Off to fix my original reply. :/

Quoting louzannalady:

Get idea! I like that, putting them in order!

Quoting TTC2Long:

I would move #14 up to right after #6. Also, I would reorder to make it sequential. I had mine in sections; labor, delivery and post parting, to make it clear and easy to follow. I would also move pain management up to the top.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
thundersky
by on May. 3, 2012 at 12:16 PM

i would put every thing in order from begining to the end of the labor and birth to make it easyer to refrence hope this helps.

Labor/ delivery

·         My daughter will be with us during labor and delivery (If she wants to be there)

·         Negative and unsupportive individuals will not be allowed in the room

·         I will not be hooked up to an IV ( you can place a Hep Lock)

·         Do not offer and pain medication ( Pain med free birth)

·         Do not ask about pain level

·         I will move and walk as I wish during labor

·         I want a birthing ball available during labor

·         I will want to use a labor/birth tub if available or at least be in the shower

·         I will eat and drink as I feel the need during

·         I do not want fetal moderating ( only as I ask)

·         I do not want vaginal exams ( unless I ask)

·         I do not want coached pushing. (I will push when I feel the need to.)

·         I WILL NOT GIVE BIRTH ON MY BACK  (Do not offer the stirrups)

·         I will give birth any position at is most comfortable for me.  

After birth

·         The Baby is to be placed on my chest immediately I will breastfeed right after birth.

·         All of baby's examinations and care will be done on my chest.

·         I do not want baby's bath done.

·         baby's first bath will done by me and hubby

·         I do not give my permission or consent to antibiotic eye ointment, Vitamin K shot to be given to the baby

·         Do not clamp the cord till it has stopped pulsing and turns white. (Hubby will cut the cord)

·         Placenta will be delivered naturally in its own time ( no pit , no pulling it out manually)

·         DO NOT DISCARD THE PLACENTA ( I will sign what I need to keep it)

·         If the baby is taken the Father will accompany baby ANYWHERE she/ he is taken. 

·         Baby will sleep with me

·         I would like to see a lactation consultant.

·         I do not want pain meds after birth (Tylenol 3)

littlelambe2
by on May. 3, 2012 at 12:43 PM
1 mom liked this

For #16, I would just simply put "Vaginal Exams only at my request". For my hospital birth, that's what I put. I knew I would likely have to get one upon arrival (unless I arrived pushing) and it worked out really well.

Oh, and another thing, if you are seeing an OB or family doctor, go over the plan with him/her and get him/her to sign it. Same thing if you are working with a midwife. That way no one will question what is on your birth plan. They will follow it because a medical professional has approved it.

louzannalady
by on May. 3, 2012 at 12:48 PM

Amen! I have been through that rodeo, before, with my doctor in a completely different state during my delivery. I learned that the hard way! ; )

Quoting littlelambe2:

For #16, I would just simply put "Vaginal Exams only at my request". For my hospital birth, that's what I put. I knew I would likely have to get one upon arrival (unless I arrived pushing) and it worked out really well.

Oh, and another thing, if you are seeing an OB or family doctor, go over the plan with him/her and get him/her to sign it. Same thing if you are working with a midwife. That way no one will question what is on your birth plan. They will follow it because a medical professional has approved it.

littlelambe2
by on May. 3, 2012 at 12:53 PM
1 mom liked this

I can't remember who gave me this advice, but I followed it and NOBODY gave me issues with my wishes. And I had quite a few things that went against hospital policy, like eating during labor if desired, no iv OR saline lock, etc.

And, if you discuss your birth plan with your health care provider, it really shows that you've done the research and you're not just a nut case trying to challenge the system.

Quoting louzannalady:

Amen! I have been through that rodeo, before, with my doctor in a completely different state during my delivery. I learned that the hard way! ; )

Quoting littlelambe2:

louzannalady
by on May. 3, 2012 at 1:05 PM

Yeah. With DS, doctor and I were on board and in agreement. All well and good. Then, he is off in California and I am stuck with a doctor who loves to "manage" labor. It was a nightmare! Even though my birth plan was in hand AND in my file, he still would not honor it. This puppy is going to be signed by my midwife and in my file AND I will have a signed copy in hand, when we arrive!

Quoting littlelambe2:

I can't remember who gave me this advice, but I followed it and NOBODY gave me issues with my wishes. And I had quite a few things that went against hospital policy, like eating during labor if desired, no iv OR saline lock, etc.

And, if you discuss your birth plan with your health care provider, it really shows that you've done the research and you're not just a nut case trying to challenge the system.

Quoting louzannalady:

Quoting littlelambe2:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN