Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

EO question...

Posted by on May. 3, 2012 at 3:36 PM
  • 21 Replies

Poll

Question: Which would you choose?

Options:

Basil

Bergamot

Cedarwood

Cinnamon

Citronella

Eucalyptus

Ginger

Grapefruit

Lavender

Lemon

Lemongrass

Mandarin

Myrrh Oil Blend

Orange

Pine

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 20

View Results

Ok, So I'm going to be buying some EO's tonight. I need peppermint oil. It's a buy 3 get 1 free deal so I need help deciding my other 3 EOs. 

I'm thinking Peppermint, Lavendar, Lemon and Eucalyptus?? Maybe... Idk. I just use my oils for soaps, toothpaste, etc. But If I got Citronella, would that help with mosquitos? Which would be your TOP choice? I know I'm getting peppermint so I took that one off. :) 

I'm Mary married(since 10-5-08) to Dallen, mommy to Serenity(2008) & Caidence(2010). Christian, SAHM, Full- term breast feeding, Cloth diapering, Vaccinating, Anti-CIO/Sleep-training, Natural birthing, holistic loving, AP, ERF, Bedsharing/co-sleepingresearch-loving kinda mama.

by on May. 3, 2012 at 3:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lizpoulette
by on May. 3, 2012 at 3:48 PM
1 mom liked this

I keep Tea Tree Oil, Lavendar, Clove, and Eucalyptus in the house at all times.

MaryJarrett
by Silver Member on May. 3, 2012 at 3:51 PM

I have Tea Tree oil. I keep that too. Just in case. I didn't even think about clove oil! 

Quoting lizpoulette:

I keep Tea Tree Oil, Lavendar, Clove, and Eucalyptus in the house at all times.

I'm Mary married(since 10-5-08) to Dallen, mommy to Serenity(2008) & Caidence(2010). Christian, SAHM, Full- term breast feeding, Cloth diapering, Vaccinating, Anti-CIO/Sleep-training, Natural birthing, holistic loving, AP, ERF, Bedsharing/co-sleepingresearch-loving kinda mama.

jellyphish
by Platinum Member on May. 3, 2012 at 3:51 PM
Euc should only be used for respiratory infections, and never with young children because they have a high keytone content. Please keep that in mind.

Citronella is an incredible mosquito repellant. Lav is really food too.

Honestly, unless Mosquitos are a big problem, I'd go with tea tree. I think every home should have lav and tto.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
thundersky
by on May. 3, 2012 at 3:54 PM
1 mom liked this

i owuld get Eucalyptus, Citronella, Lavender

jellyphish
by Platinum Member on May. 3, 2012 at 3:55 PM
1 mom liked this
NM just saw you have tto already. :)
So it becomes a matter of what you specifically want to use it for.
Sweet basil makes a fantastic cleaner, and is the safest of the antibiotics (except tto, and basil is much more pleasant).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MaryJarrett
by Silver Member on May. 3, 2012 at 3:56 PM

I have TTO. I keep it on hand. :) That's why it's not on the list. 

Mosquitos are a huge problem. My DD1 got staph from a mosquito bite when she was 23 months old. It was terrible. In the hospital for a week, PICC line for 6 wks after that... I don't want to go through that again, so mosquito repellants are the only chemical product I'll use around them.  Lav does that too?

I was thinking Euc for soaps for me. Like something nice to enjoy with candles and wine? Lol, Cheesy... I know. Thanks for the info. I didn't know that, about it. I knew people used it with steam, I just didn't know that it shouldn't be used with kids. 

Should I get two lavendars? I think that's allowed.  

Quoting jellyphish:

Euc should only be used for respiratory infections, and never with young children because they have a high keytone content. Please keep that in mind.

Citronella is an incredible mosquito repellant. Lav is really food too.

Honestly, unless Mosquitos are a big problem, I'd go with tea tree. I think every home should have lav and tto.

MaryJarrett
by Silver Member on May. 3, 2012 at 3:57 PM

Quoting jellyphish:

NM just saw you have tto already. :)
So it becomes a matter of what you specifically want to use it for.
Sweet basil makes a fantastic cleaner, and is the safest of the antibiotics (except tto, and basil is much more pleasant).

This doesn't specify sweel or not, is that a problem/something different? 

jellyphish
by Platinum Member on May. 3, 2012 at 4:02 PM
What lavenders are available? I'd just get one, it's more a quality difference than anything. Augustafolia is common and good, just stay away from lavendin.

Does it list the botanical name of the basil?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MaryJarrett
by Silver Member on May. 3, 2012 at 4:05 PM

It's the augustafolia for lavendar, so that's good. 
and it's 
Ocimum Basilicum as the botanical name

Quoting jellyphish:

What lavenders are available? I'd just get one, it's more a quality difference than anything. Augustafolia is common and good, just stay away from lavendin.

jellyphish
by Platinum Member on May. 3, 2012 at 4:14 PM
1 mom liked this
Yup. That's sweet basil.

Quoting MaryJarrett:

It's the augustafolia for lavendar, so that's good. 
and it's 
Ocimum Basilicum as the botanical name

Quoting jellyphish:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)