Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Poll

Question: Which would you choose?

Options:

Basil

Bergamot

Cedarwood

Cinnamon

Citronella

Eucalyptus

Ginger

Grapefruit

Lavender

Lemon

Lemongrass

Mandarin

Myrrh Oil Blend

Orange

Pine

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 20

View Results

Ok, So I'm going to be buying some EO's tonight. I need peppermint oil. It's a buy 3 get 1 free deal so I need help deciding my other 3 EOs. 

I'm thinking Peppermint, Lavendar, Lemon and Eucalyptus?? Maybe... Idk. I just use my oils for soaps, toothpaste, etc. But If I got Citronella, would that help with mosquitos? Which would be your TOP choice? I know I'm getting peppermint so I took that one off. :) 

I'm Mary married(since 10-5-08) to Dallen, mommy to Serenity(2008) & Caidence(2010). Christian, SAHM, Full- term breast feeding, Cloth diapering, Vaccinating, Anti-CIO/Sleep-training, Natural birthing, holistic loving, AP, ERF, Bedsharing/co-sleepingresearch-loving kinda mama.

by on May. 3, 2012 at 3:36 PM
Replies (21-21):
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on May. 5, 2012 at 11:55 PM
1 mom liked this
I get mine at a local herbal shop. Ive noticed that a lot of herbal shops don't know about oils at all and therefore don't carry great brands, so you have to kinda know what to look for. The Now brand at while foods and other health food stores is decent for some oils. I don't like aura cacia, but truthfully the basic oils are hard to screw up (lavender and tea tree for ex).
Here's what you want to look for:
Dark, glass bottles
The words "organic" and "100%" or "pure." Do NOT buy diluted oils, they have little to no value as dilution significantly shortens shelf life.
"therapeutic grade" or if you can find food grade that's even better, though it'll cost you more.
And if you can find wildcrafted oils, that's idea. I know wyndemer is wildcrafted and was my favorite to get at WF, but they discontinued it and I'm not sure who else sells it.

And don't be discouraged by high prices. Some oils are going to be expensive, period, and if you find these oils (like rose, chamomile, jasmine for ex) at a cheap price, run away!! The good thing is these oils tend to last a long time both by shelf life and the fact that you only need a tiny bit.

Also, there's a post someone started today about where to get EOs. There are some good suggestions there.
Quoting yelannun:

Where do you buy your EOs? Who/where's the best source...quality and price???

Quoting jellyphish:

Julia Lawless' Complete Illustrated Guide to Aromatherapy is a fantastic book for beginners. I highly suggest anyone who uses EOs get this book.

Quoting elisybeth:

I don't know much about EOs. Does anyone have good articles or books that I can read up on them?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)