Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

DS is 14 months and still not signing

Posted by on May. 4, 2012 at 10:29 AM
  • 16 Replies

DS is 14, nearly 15, months old and we've been working on signs for the past 8 months and he is still not signing back.  He signed "nurse" around his birthday for a couple of weeks but nothing since.

Is this normal? It seems most toddlers his age already know several signs.

by on May. 4, 2012 at 10:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
othermom
by Member on May. 4, 2012 at 10:32 AM

I have never tried teaching signs. He might just be busy learning other things. I hope you can get more advice

maggiandmike
by Member on May. 4, 2012 at 10:34 AM
I tried a lot of signing with my oldest, but he just never wanted to do it. The only one that stuck was please and sometimes more. With my next two, I didn't even bother with any besides those. I think some kids would just rather be vocal than use thier hands. My kids have all been that way. I love signing, and I still sign, even to my big ones, but they just don't. My baby (17mo) signs and says please and every once in a while will do milk for nurse, but really she makes her wants known by sticking her hands down my shirt haha. Don't worry your baby isn't signing, just like you shouldn't worry if baby doesn't walk at 12 mo, every baby is different and will take things at his own pace.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Salz
by on May. 4, 2012 at 10:38 AM

This is a great comparison, thanks!

He's definitely communicative and makes his wants known.... so maybe I just need to let go of the idea of signing all the time.

Quoting maggiandmike:

I tried a lot of signing with my oldest, but he just never wanted to do it. The only one that stuck was please and sometimes more. With my next two, I didn't even bother with any besides those. I think some kids would just rather be vocal than use thier hands. My kids have all been that way. I love signing, and I still sign, even to my big ones, but they just don't. My baby (17mo) signs and says please and every once in a while will do milk for nurse, but really she makes her wants known by sticking her hands down my shirt haha. Don't worry your baby isn't signing, just like you shouldn't worry if baby doesn't walk at 12 mo, every baby is different and will take things at his own pace.

maggiandmike
by Member on May. 4, 2012 at 10:43 AM
You're very welcome! Keep signing if you want, just don't stress about him not returning the favor, haha. My bigs LOVE the show Signing Time on PBS, they get so excited when they can do the signs. It helps them with reading, sound comprehension, and memory, even if they don't do it later. Just keep doing what you're doing (except the stressing!!).

Quoting Mrs.Salz:

This is a great comparison, thanks!

He's definitely communicative and makes his wants known.... so maybe I just need to let go of the idea of signing all the time.

Quoting maggiandmike:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hapababies
by Silver Member on May. 4, 2012 at 12:01 PM
I agree. If your LO is communicating in other ways, then there is no need to worry. My first son picked up on signing quickly and at 2 years old he still does some of the signs while saying the word. My 10 month old is a totally different story, he HATES when I take his hands to do a sign.
I always heard that babies develop differently but my 2 take it to the extreme with every milestone.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
haleykj
by on May. 4, 2012 at 12:07 PM
Mine is only 7 months n so far no signs but I know she understands some like all done and she likes to watch me do songs in sign. But I am the only one doing it with her dh is STILL seven months later saying he "will" learn but obviously he's not going to. So BC of that I'm not expecting much sign from DD.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TheMommaJessie
by on May. 4, 2012 at 11:12 PM

my son is almost 19 months and we tried for a bit but he never caught on to it so we quit. He understands some signs but just won't sign I see no issue with it.

EthansMomma2010
by on May. 5, 2012 at 12:45 AM
if ur LO communicates clearly in another form then he's fine. My LO can't talk at 20 months and is inspeech therapy. At this point they are teaching him the sign plus a sound. Like sign more and say mmmo. So you might just want to move on to one syllable sounds and do the sign at the same time. Aim for real talking tho ifhe doesn't want to sign.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
littlelambe2
by on May. 5, 2012 at 1:40 AM

I've never tried teaching signs. DD has always been fairly vocal and been able to express her desires without a formulated sign. For the kids we're around, some sign and some don't.

peaches_04
by on May. 5, 2012 at 11:17 AM
It all depends on how consistant u are
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN