Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

DS is 14 months and still not signing

Posted by   + Show Post

DS is 14, nearly 15, months old and we've been working on signs for the past 8 months and he is still not signing back.  He signed "nurse" around his birthday for a couple of weeks but nothing since.

Is this normal? It seems most toddlers his age already know several signs.

by on May. 4, 2012 at 10:29 AM
Replies (11-16):
peaches_04
by Platinum Member on May. 5, 2012 at 11:19 AM
Lily started signing before a year but we have a lot of deaf friends/family
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
EmilyMarshall
by on May. 5, 2012 at 11:19 AM
bump

JMmama
by Silver Member on May. 5, 2012 at 12:10 PM
I tried signing with my oldest. Since he was the only kid I had plenty of time and energy to really focus on it and be consistent. He did start using them until he was like 2.5 and already talking.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
WackadooMom
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2012 at 10:59 AM
I have been signing with my 14 month old since he was about 5 months. The only sign he has ever used is "more" and my hubby really is the one who made the breakthrough. I continue to sign with him with but he has not done any else. Just like everything else I guess he will do it in his own time...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
VintageWife
by on May. 7, 2012 at 5:11 PM

Some kids just won't. My daughter won't. She is almost 2 and barely talks and won't sign. She's very smart though and completely understands everything you are saying :)

jconney80
by Group Mod on May. 7, 2012 at 7:19 PM

Is he talking at all? I taught Markus his first sign at 9-10 months & he did his first one a month later. He barely talked before 20 months but could sign up to 200 words. He's very verbal now but he's also on the autism spectrum. I don't really know what is normal lol. If he talked earlier he would probably not have signed much!

If he's talking I wouldn't worry too much. Are you using them in context? I'm sure you probably are but I'm just asking. I would point it out & sign & say it 4-5 times. I would keep trying & just make it a part of what you do when you talk. Baby Signing Time is great! It's the only TV my son watched before 2 lol.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)