Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is this really safe?

Posted by on May. 4, 2012 at 1:08 PM
  • 11 Replies

Hi everyone!  My name is Joslyn, I don't ever post in here but I do read lots of your posts. My 5 year old son is complaining that his ear hurts like when he has an ear infection.  I can't get to the dr today and besides I don't really want him to be on antibiotics if there is something I can do to help.  I just read online that you can mix garlic with olive oil and warm it and drop it into the ear that's hurting.  Is this REALLY safe to do?  It kind of makes me nervous to try, but if any of you ladies have tried it and it works without causing a bigger issue, I'll try it! Or do you know of something that would work better? 

Thank you in advance for any help or tips you have to offer! I really appreciate it!

by on May. 4, 2012 at 1:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
One-n-Counting
by on May. 4, 2012 at 1:15 PM

I've never tried that. However I've been told to wait seven days to see if the body will fight the ear infection. You can do things like getting children's probiotics, feeding your son yogurt, or even trying grape seed extract to boost the immune system. 

jlocsgirl
by on May. 4, 2012 at 1:23 PM

I haven't tried it myself, but I know lots of moms who swear by garlic oil for ear infections.

ColieO
by Member on May. 4, 2012 at 1:24 PM
1 mom liked this
I use it anytime I've had ear pain. It works. Never had any issues from it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MaryJarrett
by Silver Member on May. 4, 2012 at 1:26 PM
1 mom liked this
I use it for myself. It works over night but I apply twice a day for three days with a medicine dropper. I also using it for cooking Italian dishes because it makes about a half a cup.
Dr. Sears uses it. :)

http://www.askdrsears.com/topics/childhood-illnesses/ear-infections
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sunshine_246
by on May. 4, 2012 at 1:35 PM
I have an ear oil that I bought that is grapeseed oil (carrier oil like the olive oil) with garlic and tea tree oil. It works great but kids don't like oil in their ear. It helps if you can have them lay on their side and watch a show while you drop it and let it sit.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NDFanatik
by on May. 4, 2012 at 2:20 PM

Yep- safe.  Don't heat the oil up too much obiously ;)  Garlic oil and colloidal silver are my go-to's for ear infections. 

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on May. 4, 2012 at 2:22 PM

YEP

Quoting NDFanatik:

Yep- safe.  Don't heat the oil up too much obiously ;)  Garlic oil and colloidal silver are my go-to's for ear infections. 

Mommyagainyay
by on May. 4, 2012 at 3:14 PM
If you child doesn't like that then you can get a probiotic and open the capsule pour a little at a time on his tongue wash it down with juice since it gets the taste out of the mouth of milk. You do it at night before bed and make sure no hot water it will kill the probiotics. What is does is work their way into the sinus and ear canal and kills the bad bacteria it can work after three days or so. I get bad ear aches still and this works wonders for me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jlr09092006
by on May. 4, 2012 at 3:22 PM
Thank you ladies so much! I'm going to try the olive oil when I go home tonight. I hope it helps.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on May. 4, 2012 at 3:30 PM

Hi Joslyn how is your son doing?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)