Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

STOP TRYING TO SHOVE AN ULTRASOUND DOWN MY THROAT!

Posted by on May. 4, 2012 at 3:48 PM
  • 30 Replies

So yes, I got my 20 week ultrasound, baby is fine and healthy.

problem is i got the ultrasound down by a private ultrasound tech because it was before i got medi-cal. 

so the hospital that i'm going to keeps trying to schedule ultrasounds for me, and i keep telling them no no no no, I showed them the results from my ultrasound but they keep scheduling me for them! instead of just listening to my wishes they keep telling me i have no reason to worry and that ultrasounds are safe and normal and they just arent listening to me! I don't know what to do, this is stressful. I want my home birth :( why why WHY won't medi-cal cover it?? ugh.

by on May. 4, 2012 at 3:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rachelrothchild
by on May. 4, 2012 at 3:55 PM

Tell them to piss off?  They can't make you do another one.  They just want $$.

wolvesfire
by on May. 4, 2012 at 4:10 PM
They probably want to make sure baby is developing normally and/or money (highly likely for the money). They want to be able to detect birth defects in the baby, check the amnio fluids around the baby to make sure it's not low, etc. As for why medi-cal might not cover homebirth: I would assume they don't want a lawsuit and don't want to be held responsible in case something happens to you or the baby. Or they are just a bunch of uneducated idiots. Best of luck. Don't let them tell you what to do. Stick with your plan.
peaches_04
by on May. 4, 2012 at 4:15 PM
Just dont go
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
louzannalady
by on May. 4, 2012 at 4:17 PM

*hug* I am in the same kind of boat! I just don't pick up the phone when they call. They always have a stupid pre-recorded message about what I should be doing in my prenatal care this week. *click* I am glad I am going with midwives at a place that has the tubs and is very natural birth friendly! They didn't even bat an eye when I declined the glucose test!

Mrs.Salz
by on May. 4, 2012 at 4:39 PM

I'd just skip the appointment if they schedule one :)

Mrs.Salz
by on May. 4, 2012 at 4:40 PM

One u/s is sufficient for this and there are risks to too much ultrasound exposure.

Homebirth is a safe(r) option for most women :)

Quoting wolvesfire:

They probably want to make sure baby is developing normally and/or money (highly likely for the money). They want to be able to detect birth defects in the baby, check the amnio fluids around the baby to make sure it's not low, etc. As for why medi-cal might not cover homebirth: I would assume they don't want a lawsuit and don't want to be held responsible in case something happens to you or the baby. Or they are just a bunch of uneducated idiots. Best of luck. Don't let them tell you what to do. Stick with your plan.

Ankles
by Member on May. 4, 2012 at 6:00 PM
I'm having twins and right now I'm still seeing my midwife who believes in as few US as possible. Later in the pregnancy I'll have to switch (due to laws) and I'm not looking forward to that battle. After my 20 week US the only other one I'll agree to is one towards the end to determine their positions. I know it's going to be a fight. Stick to your guns.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TrentsMom84
by Silver Member on May. 4, 2012 at 7:39 PM

Quoting wolvesfire:

They probably want to make sure baby is developing normally (and if baby isn't developing normally what would they do?) and/or money (highly likely for the money). They want to be able to detect birth defects in the baby (there are very few birth defects that need to be dealt with right away after birth), check the amnio fluids around the baby to make sure it's not low (and then what?  they would tell her to drink more water?  she can just drink more water and skip the ultrasound), etc. As for why medi-cal might not cover homebirth: I would assume they don't want a lawsuit and don't want to be held responsible in case something happens to you or the baby (health insurance companies would not be held responsible for something that happened to the baby, if there was negligance during birth it would be on the midwife or parents). Or they are just a bunch of uneducated idiots. Best of luck. Don't let them tell you what to do. Stick with your plan.

Most of the information doctors get from ultrasound doesn't change the outcome of the baby or mother's health.  I'm not trying to be rude to you but it's important to understand what benefits, if any, you gain from a routine ultrasound.

outstandingLove
by on May. 4, 2012 at 7:44 PM

Where are you? I'm on Medi-cal and found a homebirth midwife here that accepts it.

catholicmamamia
by on May. 5, 2012 at 12:53 AM

If you do not want one, do not go. 

♥♥ Join us in  
Crunchy Moms  and share advice on breastfeeding, babywearing, 
        bedsharing, non-cio. gentle discipline, and natural foods, health, and cleaners! ♥

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN