Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Birthplan yay or nay? (random thoughts that may come out jumbled)

Posted by on May. 4, 2012 at 6:01 PM
  • 12 Replies

Hello ladies!  I find myself getting very excited about my upcoming labor. 

I didnt have a birthplan made for either of my previous labors.  They didnt go horrible, I feel like I was listened to for the things I say I didnt want. So I never felt the need to after my 1st.

well this time around I plan to go 100% natural (to ME, that means no pitocin, no pain meds, no IV fluids unless I can not keep myself hydrated, and intermittent fetal monitoring. All these wishes seem to not be a problem with the MW team I am using nor the hospital they use. for recovery, I just ask that baby stay with a parent at all times. Always room sharing, someone present for bathing, bloodwork, vaccines, exam, circumcision (no bashing, its our choice), etc. This was also never a problem with my previous hospital, so I feel like its not a big issue for most.

I dont want an episiotomy (again, never been an issue and I really dont think it will be with my MW), and I prefer delayed cord clamping this time, still am going to talk to MW about it.

I hear from friends that have birthed at this hospital, that everyone is required (not 100% sure on the term REQUIRED) to submit their birthplan to their care provider before delivery day and they send it to the hospital, so that when you get there after pre registering, the nurse staff all have it and everyone is on the same page.

So should I start thinking about making one? My MW hasnt said anything yet (I am still early). It kind of intimidates me to have to put all my wishes in writing.  I feel like I will be tied down with one. I am a go with the flow kind of person. My view on a detailed birthplan is that I may go in their with a prejudgement on me and they (nurse staff) give me a hard time. I am a soft spoken yet FIRM person, I normally do not have an issue with people not respecting me. They know I am not kidding. I was always very aware of my surroundings and caught that they were about to hook up pitocin with my 2nd wihtout asking me. I asked them waht it was and they answered.  I said I didnt want it. They said I wasnt progressing quick enough. I repeated I did not want it very sternly but not rude and that if they had a problem, they could bring my Dr in, but until then, they could take it back out of the room. I was not aware she was going to break my water until sghe did it with DS1 and I was not happy and made it clear she was to ALWAYS ask before doing anything from there on out.

so if I already know what I want going in, and they do not, they will learn as they go and not have a pre judgement against me and make it difficult from the get go.  Does that make any sense? lol

If I should make one; I want to make sure I hit all the necessary topics:

pain management

fluid management

fetal monitor management

water breaking (dont want it, but if it MAY help, TALK to me first, I had my water broken without my prior consent with DS1)

induction aids

pushing (instruments that may be used, positions)

immediately after birth (ointment in eyes, cord clamping, cord cutting, bonding with mom, when to weigh)

and recovery (everything I mentioned above)

Am I missing anything important?

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
by on May. 4, 2012 at 6:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TrentsMom84
by Silver Member on May. 4, 2012 at 7:24 PM

I would do a birth plan because in a hospital setting you have no choice on who the nurses are and there's the potential for the mw to not be on call when baby comes.  You can go over everything your midwife is okay with, have her sign off on it and then it's ready to go.  Just put it in your hospital bag and forget about it if you decide you don't need it-if you get hassled once you're at the hospital you can pull it out and explain that you and the midwife have already agreed to these things. 

It doesn't matter if they judge you for it-it's still your body and you have the right to be treated the way you want.

doulala
by Gold Member on May. 4, 2012 at 10:33 PM

I think this is a good thing!
:-)

Who knows...  maybe you were just fortunate in the last & your luck could run out.   A BP will help communicate your preferences and hopes (as well as provide evidence of these things if they should be done against your will).
Having a birth doula is a good idea, too!
But the most important thing that comes from a Birth Plan is more knowledge.    Parents might think they don't want an episiotomy or do want vaccines or don't want coached pushing or do want delayed cord clamping, etc etc., but with sooo many options and so much info, a BP can help make sure they know about the alternatives and can encourage them to look more into their reasons to be certain.

I would say there are more topics to cover, you might look at some examples/templates and see what you think.

GL!
:-)

MommaTasha1003
by on May. 4, 2012 at 11:05 PM
yes i would do a birth plan... keep it short & tothe point..
my mw gives all her patients a simple check list birth plan.. but since its in a bc we dont have to think of things like ivs, pit, ect.
chipper87
by Bronze Member on May. 5, 2012 at 12:17 PM
Check out the earthmama angel baby one...I think you'd like it :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
marriagecoach
by on May. 5, 2012 at 12:31 PM

Just having open communication with your MW and the nurses is key.

www.beautifulbirthbundle.com - Don't labor without it

iMommyDi
by on May. 5, 2012 at 12:37 PM
Thanks everyone! Lots of stuff to look at tonight when the kids go down! ;)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
doulala
by Gold Member on May. 5, 2012 at 12:44 PM

Quoting marriagecoach:

Just having open communication with your MW and the nurses is key

You don't support BPs?

doulala
by Gold Member on May. 5, 2012 at 12:44 PM

Quoting iMommyDi:

Thanks everyone! Lots of stuff to look at tonight when the kids go down! ;)

Okay-  great!    Let us know if you'd like help.      :-)

marriagecoach
by on May. 5, 2012 at 12:45 PM

Absolutely! I just thought she was asking for important things to include in your BP

www.beautifulbirthbundle.com -

Don't labor in a hospital without this information.

louzannalady
by Silver Member on May. 5, 2012 at 12:53 PM
1 mom liked this

Here is a REALLY awesome link I happened upon the other day. A lady posted it on Facebook's Birthing Without Fear group!  : ) Whatever you come up with, have your midwife sign two copies- one for your file and one to bring with you to the hospital. It becomes a legal document and cannot be fluffed off once it is signed. I thought, everything would be great, my doctor read my plan. All was good, right?! WRONG! My doctor was in California and I was stuck with a doctor who does routine episiotomies and "manages" labor for his patients! It was a fifty-six hour NIGHTMARE. If my plan had been signed in my file, it would have shown my doctor approved it and it would have had more weight and this doctor would have been more likely to honor it.

http://www.earthmamaangelbaby.com/free-birth-plan

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)