Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

why is she waking up? **edited to add a question**

Posted by on May. 5, 2012 at 7:33 AM
  • 16 Replies

she's been waking up around 3 am for a couple weeks now. we always put her back to bed but it takes a half hour for her to fall back to sleep. 

she's always been a great sleeper. but lately....i dont know =/ 

she's 20 months. she has been in a day bed since she was 14 months (although...we decided to turn it back into a crib because she's not sleeping in her bed...she sleeps by the door.) that was just last night...

i just want her to sleep through the night again. its killing my sleep to be having to go and get her back to sleep and i KNOW she's not sleeping well because of this. 

she doesnt want to go to sleep anymore. she hates naptime (we've nixed that until we can figure out the sleeping thing. half the time she doesnt nap until 4 or 5 pm anyways) 

i DONT like her crying to sleep =/ makes me feel bad. but if i try and rock her to sleep...doesnt work. (sleep training kind of nixed that over a year ago... -.- unintended side effect) if i bring her into bed with me...she just fusses and kicks me and stays awake anyways. if i stay in the room with her i have to stay there for so long because she fights to stay awake because i'm there.

What if its night terrors? her grandmother brought it up today. how do i know if its night terrors? if it is night terrors how do i help them go away or help her get past them? we normally have a fan going in her room...especially lately for both how warm it is and white noise. we have a night light in her room as well.

CafeMom Tickers

Hi, i'm Liz(20) and my beautiful daughters name is Myranda Marie! We have One on the way as well.

by on May. 5, 2012 at 7:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
melindabelcher
by on May. 5, 2012 at 7:42 AM
Growth milestones teething.
My daughter is 30 months and has had several times when she would wake up during the night for a little while from days to weeks.
Totally normal.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Liebevoll_mami
by on May. 5, 2012 at 7:49 AM

i know that =/ she's starting to talk more...and were working on her last cuspid and i'm sure her 2 yr molars are startin to come in! 

she's TINY...she hasnt had a growth spurt in ages. she doesnt eat a whole lot. and more then half the time only fruit. (no the docs arent worried about her height and weight. she IS proportionate...most of the time she IS happy. she's just been extra tired lately) 

i'm just seriously tired from being up so long trying to get her back to sleep. BUT boyfriend gets the worst of it. she wont go to sleep if i go in there to calm her. (i just stay awake the entire time waiting for her to be quiet again...then fall asleep) the boyfriend is the one that has to go in there to get her to go to sleep again. (daddy means business i guess?) 

Quoting melindabelcher:

Growth milestones teething.
My daughter is 30 months and has had several times when she would wake up during the night for a little while from days to weeks.
Totally normal.

CafeMom Tickers

Hi, i'm Liz(20) and my beautiful daughters name is Myranda Marie! We have One on the way as well.

Mom2be360
by on May. 5, 2012 at 8:52 AM
My niece is doing this and she's 3 she has here day and night mixed up just gonna be be on a time line for bed and now we trying that. Breakfast. Snack lunch snack dinner snack bath bed

Quoting Liebevoll_mami:

she's been waking up around 3 am for a couple weeks now. we always put her back to bed but it takes a half hour for her to fall back to sleep. 

she's always been a great sleeper. but lately....i dont know =/ 

she's 20 months. she has been in a day bed since she was 14 months (although...we decided to turn it back into a crib because she's not sleeping in her bed...she sleeps by the door.) that was just last night...

i just want her to sleep through the night again. its killing my sleep to be having to go and get her back to sleep and i KNOW she's not sleeping well because of this. 

she doesnt want to go to sleep anymore. she hates naptime (we've nixed that until we can figure out the sleeping thing. half the time she doesnt nap until 4 or 5 pm anyways) 

i DONT like her crying to sleep =/ makes me feel bad. but if i try and rock her to sleep...doesnt work. (sleep training kind of nixed that over a year ago... -.- unintended side effect) if i bring her into bed with me...she just fusses and kicks me and stays awake anyways. if i stay in the room with her i have to stay there for so long because she fights to stay awake because i'm there.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Liebevoll_mami
by on May. 5, 2012 at 10:51 AM

Myranda doesnt have her days and nights mixed up she's NEVER up past 930 (even at her grandparents) she just hasnt been wanting to sleep lately. 

Quoting Mom2be360:

My niece is doing this and she's 3 she has here day and night mixed up just gonna be be on a time line for bed and now we trying that. Breakfast. Snack lunch snack dinner snack bath bed

Quoting Liebevoll_mami:

CafeMom Tickers

Liebevoll_mami
by on May. 5, 2012 at 10:54 AM

BUMP!

TrentsMom84
by Silver Member on May. 5, 2012 at 1:22 PM

How long has it been going on?  I would assume growth/developmental stuff unless it's been several weeks.

thundersky
by on May. 5, 2012 at 1:27 PM

you say that she sleeps on the floor by the door. my DD is 3 and sleeps on the floor too i think it is because she likes firmer surfaces. maybe try putting her to sleep on the floor to begin with and see if that helps. just a blanket to sleep on, pillow, and a blanket to cover up.

Liebevoll_mami
by on May. 5, 2012 at 1:30 PM

we got the side back on her crib...she wont be able to get out of bed....i dont think its the hardness of the floor. she doesnt do this at her grandparents house =/

Quoting thundersky:

you say that she sleeps on the floor by the door. my DD is 3 and sleeps on the floor too i think it is because she likes firmer surfaces. maybe try putting her to sleep on the floor to begin with and see if that helps. just a blanket to sleep on, pillow, and a blanket to cover up.

CafeMom Tickers

Liebevoll_mami
by on May. 5, 2012 at 1:31 PM

my boyfriend says its only been a week but i'm not so sure. =/

Quoting TrentsMom84:

How long has it been going on?  I would assume growth/developmental stuff unless it's been several weeks.

CafeMom Tickers

EthansMomma2010
by on May. 5, 2012 at 5:50 PM

i hope i didnt miss this, but does she have dairy before bed at night? As others said teething, growth, and development can also contribute to sleeping problems. its tough to deal with i know, but it wont last forever. promise.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN