Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Preparing for Mostly natural birth?

Posted by on May. 5, 2012 at 9:52 AM
  • 41 Replies

Im 22 and 12 wks 6 days pregnant today due November 11.

I want to try for as much of a natural birth as possible but every one around is saying get the Epidural. I don't wanna be stuck in a bed and have to have someone tell me when Im having a contraction and to push. I wanna be involved.

My husband isn't the most sensitive person and im afraid he won't be able to support me the way I need it. My mom and MIL are all for the epi and I just feel as though I will have accomplished so much if im strong enough to make it through a natural birth.

How do I prepare myself when birthing in a hospital with a lack of support?

by on May. 5, 2012 at 9:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hapababies
by Silver Member on May. 5, 2012 at 10:09 AM
I didn't have support either, but I made up my mind that I wasn't going to have an epi. My reasons were: I didn't want drugs in mine or my baby's system, the thought of being confined to a bed freaks me out, and I didn't want to experience negative effects from the epi such as back pain or the epi migraine that I read about.
I went to birthing classes with a doula and learned how to manage my pain through breathing and focusing.
Will your husband go to a class with you? Or do you have a good friend that could be your support person and go to classes with you? If can afford it, find a doula that you connect with and she can help you achieve the birthing experience that YOU want.
good luck :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
_Crazy_Beauty
by on May. 5, 2012 at 11:09 AM

Thank you! Im pretty sure that a Doula is out of the question but I do think my husband wants to go to the birthing classes with me. He just doesn't understand why i would want the pain if I don't have too.

tansyflower
by on May. 5, 2012 at 11:23 AM
1 mom liked this

then educate him!  what birthing classes are you taking?  if its one through the hospital it may not be very natural friendly.  bradley classes are excellent though!  if it were me i would start by showing him what epi's do to the birthing process and how dangerous they can be.  explain to him that you can have a chronic pain syndrome from epi's, that they can paralize you, that not being able to move around during your birth can slow your progression which most times leads to an emergency c-section.  explain to him the risks associated with a major abdominal surgery and how it will affect your recover time.  woman who birth on their back also have a much higher likelyhood of tearing during birth since they cannot get into a sqauting position.  these are all very real and very valid issues!  doing a natural birth isnt about being "stronger" than woman who choose an epi, in most cases its about making the SAFEST decision you can for yourself and your little one!

and from your end if you do not want a medicated birth and want to birth in a hospital setting (instead of at home or in a birthing center) then i have one bit of advise for you.  stay at home for as LONG as you can.  the sooner you rush to the hospital the more likely they will try to force un-needed medical interventions on you.  i would stay home until my contractions were 2-3 minutes apart if you are relatively close to the place you are going to birth *if it were me*....this is the number one thing you can do to secure a natural birth!!!

Quoting _Crazy_Beauty:

Thank you! Im pretty sure that a Doula is out of the question but I do think my husband wants to go to the birthing classes with me. He just doesn't understand why i would want the pain if I don't have too.

peaches_04
by Platinum Member on May. 5, 2012 at 11:24 AM
2 moms liked this
Netflix instant
The buisness of being born
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
peaches_04
by Platinum Member on May. 5, 2012 at 11:24 AM
1 mom liked this
Look into hypnobabies
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
peaches_04
by Platinum Member on May. 5, 2012 at 11:26 AM
Tell him the side effects sound less appealing then the pain
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
peaches_04
by Platinum Member on May. 5, 2012 at 11:27 AM
Epidurals can slow down your progression and increase your chances of induction which hurts even more
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
EmilyMarshall
by on May. 5, 2012 at 11:46 AM
bump

mjrex87
by Mindy on May. 5, 2012 at 11:50 AM
1 mom liked this

Birthing creates endorphins. Endorphins make you and baby feel good. They help you navigate through the intense (and amazing) experience of childbirth. And they are a natural pain reliever. Most people completely disregard all of the hard work the baby is doing in the birthing process...Can you imagine trying to squeeze your body through a hole that small?? Studies have shown that epidurals dramatically decrease endorphin levels. So an epidural may make the pain go away for the mother, but it also means less endorphins...so essentially the mother is making it more painful and traumatic for the baby. Maybe that will convince your husband?

Besides that... I personally think recovery would be more difficult after having an epidural. After experiencing childbirth, the recovery was not that bad. But I remember thinking that if I had gotten an epidural, the pain would have come as a shock when it wore off and would have been really difficult to handle. Even with all of the health risks aside, I wouldn't want an epidural for that reason! 

Quoting _Crazy_Beauty:

mjrex87
by Mindy on May. 5, 2012 at 11:51 AM

This. DH learned SO much from hypnobabies. He was an AMAZING coach during DD's birth.

Quoting peaches_04:

Look into hypnobabies

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)