Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Preparing for Mostly natural birth?

Posted by   + Show Post

Im 22 and 12 wks 6 days pregnant today due November 11.

I want to try for as much of a natural birth as possible but every one around is saying get the Epidural. I don't wanna be stuck in a bed and have to have someone tell me when Im having a contraction and to push. I wanna be involved.

My husband isn't the most sensitive person and im afraid he won't be able to support me the way I need it. My mom and MIL are all for the epi and I just feel as though I will have accomplished so much if im strong enough to make it through a natural birth.

How do I prepare myself when birthing in a hospital with a lack of support?

by on May. 5, 2012 at 9:52 AM
Replies (41-41):
NDFanatik
by on May. 7, 2012 at 4:06 PM

Without reading any replies, here are my suggestions-

GET A DOULA.  Yes, your husband may turn out to be amazing and all that, but I ALWAYS recommend a doula for a hospital birth.  They are an outside influence that can help keep your head straight during stressful and emotional times. 

Stay at home as long as possible.  Can't breathe through those?  Feel like you can't take it anymore  NOW is the time to go to the hosp- not when your ctx first start out or  when your water breaks.  The less time you spend in the hospital, the less time you have for them to perform unnecessary interventions on you. 

EDUCATE YOURSELF.  Do you knows the benefits and risks of all of the normal hospital procedures?  Do you know what you do and don't want?  Learn about them so that when they are offered (or pushed on you) you can make an INFORMED choice.  You can turn down many "necessary" things that are often detrimental to the normal course of labor and birth.  Knowing as much as you can going into it helps you and your baby ultimately.

Educate your spouse.  He's in this as much as you are and when you create a united front and know each others wishes, you can create a less stressful atmosphere and he can also be your greatest advocate for helping you achieve a natural hospital birth. 

Know your rights.  You CAN say no.  You CAN make choices.  Nothing is 100% necessary and you ALWAYS have a say in what is or isn't done. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)